Why are sky customers paying for ads?

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    That's what I said... If they were not making huge profits then they might have to think again, but people just moan and continue to pay up.

Perhaps they should switch to Virgin then.
  • LilylilacLilylilac Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should switch to Virgin then.

Can't get Virgin in lots of places.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Lilylilac wrote: »
    That's what I said... If they were not making huge profits then they might have to think again, but people just moan and continue to pay up.

They only made just over a billion quid profit last year, the poor lambs, so they clearly need every penny of our subs.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how exactly is the BBC ad free? they spend just as long b'twixt programmes advertising themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they can get away with it - arrange these letters for the British Sky customer . GMUS
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waht used to annoy me ( and maybe i'm being naive here), was when i had sky sports. I'd be shelling out for it every month, yet when i sat down to watch a game, i'd be told that it's been brought to me in association with Ford! I used to think, surely it's in association with ME..i'm the one paying for it..
  • DancesWithKatsDancesWithKats Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    It would be fair if it were free with ads or you pay and you get no ads.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowby1 wrote: »
    I made this exact point on another thread the other day. Sky make a fortune from subscriptions. They could at least show LESS adverts than they do, There are a ridiculous amount of adverts on all the commercial stations.

It comes down to greed, pure and simple.

Fewer, not less. ;)

Also, the point made above, most channels get pennies per subscriber from a subscription. There must be around 700 channels so the ads help them make money.
  • servelanservelan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    There are ads plus subscriptions are there to ensure that Sky makes £1.2 bn profit.

Greed, pure and simple
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Because they can get away with it - arrange these letters for the British Sky customer . GMUS

Very smug of you.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good question OP, never thought about it but why should we put up with the horrendous amount of ads when we pay a subscription? Please enlighten us Murdoch!
    Forum Member
    servelan wrote: »
    There are ads plus subscriptions are there to ensure that Sky makes £1.2 bn profit.

Greed, pure and simple

Why are adverts such an issue? Record it and watch it like normal people do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    how exactly is the BBC ad free? they spend just as long b'twixt programmes advertising themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are trailers not adverts, every channel does them how else are you supposed to know what is coming up. And 2-3 mins after a show is hardly a lot.

Its funny though as I assume Sky Atlantic has adverts between shows yet most of these are from HBO who don't show ads hence shows like Boardwalk Empire being an hour long.

Sky Movies can survive without ads inbetween and Sky Arts limit ads sometimes don't they? If all Sky owned channels went ad free it would make the platform a lot more attractive.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gripe is why we have to pay the licence fee to own a tv when it's not for the actual tv, it's to finance the BBC only.

I could happily forego the occasional show I watch (on BBC2 or 3, catch think when I last watched BBC1) on the BBC if I had the choice to opt out of the licence fee and 'just' pay my Sky bill. I don't listen to BBC radio either but am financing it.

The licence fee is archaic and outdated and the BBC should find an alternative way of financing itself. They've had it very easy for far too long.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    Very smug of you.

Ok , Rupert.
  • 1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayebeatle wrote: »
    Try and watch everything 10-12 minutes delay ( or record ) and fast forward the ad breaks you catch up within the hour!:D

That's my strategy on Freeview with my Humax PVR. I never watch commercial channels live now (even C4 News - I am that impatient!)

I'm holding off Youview with TalkTalk as the first boxes do not allow skipping.

I may buy a 3rd party box once I know one that it is as good as my current Humax.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made this exact point on another thread the other day. Sky make a fortune from subscriptions. They could at least show LESS adverts than they do, There are a ridiculous amount of adverts on all the commercial stations.

It comes down to greed, pure and simple.

Sky will not show FEWER adverts than they presently do as the customers seem happy to view 15 minutes of adverts per hour. They even pay many hundreds of pounds each year for the privilege!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    servelan wrote: »

Greed, pure and simple

I am one of the most vocal anti-Murdoch people for the way he sent the UK press down market (yet strangely kept the broadsheets afloat to this day).

He has many detractors and some even link him to criminal gangs who flooded the UK market with fake OnDigital cards in the 1980s to kill off Sky's competition.

I for one do not believe that Rupert Murdoch would stoop so low as to authorise any of his employees to undertake criminal behaviour to further his business interests.

The News of the World was a simple aberration.

Now that I've got my anti-Murdoch rant off my chest I have to admit that the man has totally transformed the coverage of sport in the UK.

When the comfy BBC/ITV duopoly were in charge you would go to an event 5 minutes before it started and exit as soon as it ended.

The BBC were complacent for far too long and Sky gave them a needed kicking up the arse.

Even C4 improved Test Match coverage compared to the BBC.

Rupert Murdoch and Sky have done many good things for sports coverage in the UK and has definitely given the mainstream broadcasters a kick up the backside.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky will not show FEWER adverts than they presently do as the customers seem happy to view 15 minutes of adverts per hour. They even pay many hundreds of pounds each year for the privilege!

Sadly true. But I may be one of the ones about to jump ship for that very reason.
    Forum Member
    Sadly true. But I may be one of the ones about to jump ship for that very reason.

Because they show too many adverts?
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OpEd wrote: »
    Yes!

And likewise ads are a part of the show. At least a part of any good show. The best part. They are there to entertain you. Little cute vignettes! Even better they are there to help you. To help you to buy all the right things.

I don't know where people ever got the idea that pay TV should be ad free? Maybe there was some silly talk of all that back in the beginning, but certainly we've had a long enough time to forget all that tosh. Pay TV is just another great thing to buy. Stop thinking yourselves into a state of worry and discomfort, folks.

:D

I hope this is a windup.

My mantra is if I pay for a subscription then don't pester me with adverts and sponsorship nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they show too many adverts?

That, yes, because I'm not organised enough that everything I watch is recorded. Most of it is, but I still see too many ads even then.

Also I really only go out of my way to watch stuff on Atlantic.

I might as well just buy box sets of my favourite shows and cancel my subscription. Save a fortune.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That, yes, because I'm not organised enough that everything I watch is recorded. Most of it is, but I still see too many ads even then.

Also I really only go out of my way to watch stuff on Atlantic.

I might as well just buy box sets of my favourite shows and cancel my subscription. Save a fortune.

Or do as most do and watch them via ......:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or do as most do and watch them via ......:p

Torrents?
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    That is demonstrably simply not true. aka a lie.

The average commercial station's hour-long programme in Primetime - eg ITV - is around 48 mins in when you disregard the ads. For stations that show primarily US content, this increases to 18 mins.

The average hour-long BBC show is 58 mins. That's a whole ten minutes longer.

So please stop posting nonsense.