Doctor Who 50th Anniversary to be in 3D

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    According to today's Daily Mirror, all 11 Doctors will be appearing in the special. Those still alive have been approached and although it doesnt say, I presume that Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee will be somehow be digitaly placed within the story. If true, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Much as I like him him, Tom is too old now, as I think, is Peter. Personaly I would rather see Paul, Chris and David appear with Matt and leave it at that.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    According to today's Daily Mirror, all 11 Doctors will be appearing in the special. Those still alive have been approached and although it doesnt say, I presume that Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee will be somehow be digitaly placed within the story. If true, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. Much as I like him him, Tom is too old now, as I think, is Peter. Personaly I would rather see Paul, Chris and David appear with Matt and leave it at that.

Are you sure they're not talking about the Big Finish audio special? All the classic Doctors (up to Paul McGann) and a number of old companions are appearing in that and they've said the first three will be appear in some way too.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

It's said that on daybreak this morning but unless it's been confirmed by Moff or the BBC I won't believe it. They also said its rumoured that Matt is going to regenerate in the special. But if Matt is coming back after his movie, surely he'll still be around after the special.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    It's said that on daybreak this morning but unless it's been confirmed by Moff or the BBC I won't believe it. They also said its rumoured that Matt is going to regenerate in the special. But if Matt is coming back after his movie, surely he'll still be around after the special.

Colin has said via twitter that he is not involved. So....a former Doctor has denied it and said so on the Twittering machine. I think we can take that as confirmation that Colin is 100% in the special! :p
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Someone probably just heard the rumour about the audio special and confused it with the TV special.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:Like Matt to go ok he didd ok but wasnt charmastic as chriss or dave axhe is a nice guy though
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Folks, stop worrying about which channel the 3D screening will be on! You'll find out in plenty of time! :cool:
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Interesting article here about the future (or demise?) of 3D:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21465628
  • StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How odd a decision it seems now to film a Doctor Who special in 3D when even the BBC themselves are writing it off.
    Forum Member
    StalwartUK wrote: »
    How odd a decision it seems now to film a Doctor Who special in 3D when even the BBC themselves are writing it off.

I'm seeing it as one last bit of fun before 3D is quietly forgotten. As mossy pointed out, the BBC do have a responsibility to give new technologies a go and present it to us. So I'm glad they're doing it with Doctor Who instead of, say, Ask The Family or Daily Politics.

And even if this version of 3D doesn't take off, at least BBC people are keeping their skills up to date. Lessons learnt here might turn out to be useful with whatever comes next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I'm seeing it as one last bit of fun before 3D is quietly forgotten. As mossy pointed out, the BBC do have a responsibility to give new technologies a go and present it to us. So I'm glad they're doing it with Doctor Who instead of, say, Ask The Family or Daily Politics.

And even if this version of 3D doesn't take off, at least BBC people are keeping their skills up to date. Lessons learnt here might turn out to be useful with whatever comes next.

*cough*Ultra HD*cough*
    Forum Member
    *cough*Ultra HD*cough*

I thought we were supposed to be getting the Feelie by now? Eh, Aldous with your grand vision? How beauteous is that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought we were supposed to be getting the Feelie by now? Eh, Aldous with your grand vision? How beauteous is that?

The BBC were carrying out UHD tests even before they launched HD... Although why they would see an American Rock band as the next stage of broadcasting development, I have no idea... ;)
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »

As the devil is always in the detail, saying that the 50th Anniversary is not just one 60 minute film is not the same as saying it is 2 or more....given Moffat's predeliction for Sir Humphrey style clouded language he could quite as well be meaning it's a 60 minute film and stamps and t-shirts and documentaries and concerts etc etc....
    Forum Member
    Thank heavens for that. It's strange that he called the information about 1x60 minutes "nonsense". It was, after all, a photograph of an official BBC Worldwide list of planned episodes. It may have been incorrect or incomplete, but I'm not sure Worldwide will be pleased that they've been accused of telling the toy industry a load of "nonsense"!

Good news, though.
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    As the devil is always in the detail, saying that the 50th Anniversary is not just one 60 minute film is not the same as saying it is 2 or more....given Moffat's predeliction for Sir Humphrey style clouded language he could quite as well be meaning it's a 60 minute film and stamps and t-shirts and documentaries and concerts etc etc....

Yeah. I did re-read that article and thought OK that could easily mean more than one episode or the special, the Adventure in Space and Time and the Pointless special and any number of other BBC 'specials'

I kinda get it now. Obviously the Beeb don't want to reveal their full details, they want to keep surprises and probably haven't finalised everything anyway but every now and again various people in the production team are asked questions so these sort of vague, meaningless statements are the solution to that.

I think I'll just try and adopt a wait and see approach and stop over analysing things.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank heavens for that. It's strange that he called the information about 1x60 minutes "nonsense". It was, after all, a photograph of an official BBC Worldwide list of planned episodes. It may have been incorrect or incomplete, but I'm not sure Worldwide will be pleased that they've been accused of telling the toy industry a load of "nonsense"!

Good news, though.

That Poster did say that the televison output "would include" the programmes listed which means there are other programmes not listed.

The Nonsense is the fans who looked at the poster and concluded that what was listed is all that we are getting.

Yes the non listed stuff may still turn out to be documentaries, talk shows, Pointless Doctor Who Special etc rather than more episodes but it is still Anniversary related television that was not listed.
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    That Poster did say that the televison output "would include" the programmes listed which means there are other programmes not listed.

The Nonsense is the fans who looked at the poster and concluded that what was listed is all that we are getting.

Yes the non listed stuff may still turn out to be documentaries, talk shows, Pointless Doctor Who Special etc rather than more episodes but it is still Anniversary related television that was not listed.

You're quite right. I'd forgotten about the people who had failed to note "will include". So hopefully Worldwide will realise he wasn't calling their lovingly crafted information poster "complete nonsense". :)
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Folks, stop worrying about which channel the 3D screening will be on! You'll find out in plenty of time! :cool:

Just to let you know, I recently complained to the BBC about their lack of information regarding where Doctor Who would be placed in 3D given that BBC HD is closing, being replaced by BBC2.

Now that we have a date of 26 march for BBC2 to go HD, and the Doctor Who 3D special is in November, I contacted the BBC to ask where they would put the 3D version given that BBC HD would by then no longer exist.

Their response at the present time is:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding 'Doctor Who'.

I understand that you're unhappy with the lack of information about the 50th anniversary special edition of the show which will be broadcast in 3D, will be broadcast on.

At the present time, it's too early for us to confirm any transmission information about the programme, however, my best advice for you would be to keep an eye on the "Doctor Who" webpages which can be found at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

Again I appreciate your frustration at the lack of information about the show as well as your feelings about BBC One and BBC Two and to that end.

I'd like to assure you that I've registered your complaint on our Audience Log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BbC Executive board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The Audience Logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions on future BBC programmes and content.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views with us.

Kind Regards
    Richard Carey
    BBC Complaints
    www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
    "

This letter is hardly an answer and I am not satisfied with it. I will try to make other inquiries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Just to let you know, I recently complained to the BBC about their lack of information regarding where Doctor Who would be placed in 3D given that BBC HD is closing, being replaced by BBC2.

Now that we have a date of 26 march for BBC2 to go HD, and the Doctor Who 3D special is in November, I contacted the BBC to ask where they would put the 3D version given that BBC HD would by then no longer exist.

Their response at the present time is:

"Thank you for contacting us regarding 'Doctor Who'.

I understand that you're unhappy with the lack of information about the 50th anniversary special edition of the show which will be broadcast in 3D, will be broadcast on.

At the present time, it's too early for us to confirm any transmission information about the programme, however, my best advice for you would be to keep an eye on the "Doctor Who" webpages which can be found at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

Again I appreciate your frustration at the lack of information about the show as well as your feelings about BBC One and BBC Two and to that end.

I'd like to assure you that I've registered your complaint on our Audience Log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that's made available to all BBC staff, including members of the BbC Executive board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The Audience Logs are seen as important documents that can help shape decisions on future BBC programmes and content.

Once again, thank you for sharing your views with us.

Kind Regards
    Richard Carey
    BBC Complaints
    www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
    "

This letter is hardly an answer and I am not satisfied with it. I will try to make other inquiries.

I'm worried that complaints like this, about lack of information from the BBC, get translated by those at the BBC reading it, to mean a complaint about doctor who.

If that happens It might go down in some statistics report saying we've had a12.4 % disapproval rate this month about doctor who, and then some BBC chief will say the public don't like it anymore, lets save some money and axe it before the public start to blame me for making A bad show and I get the sack.

I know it's crazy talk but it's a worry I have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm worried that complaints like this, about lack of information from the BBC, get translated by those at the BBC reading it, to mean a complaint about doctor who.

If that happens It might go down in some statistics report saying we've had a12.4 % disapproval rate this month about doctor who, and then some BBC chief will say the public don't like it anymore, lets save some money and axe it before the public start to blame me for making A bad show and I get the sack.

I know it's crazy talk but it's a worry I have.

While letters like this won't help short-term, unless the original letter was also very nice about Doctor Who in general, everything at the BBC is logged carefully and specifically. So, yes they will note this is about someone complaining about not knowing the broadcast patterns. And you'd have to have hundreds of complaints come in before someone takes notice that this is a big problem.

Schedules bounce around the place all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I hope you also were polite enough to thank the BBC for their Doctor Who plans, announced or otherwise, as well? And point out where you've been happy with what they have annouced, and what they are planning?
    Forum Member

Surely it was a very precise answer? They have not yet decided on which channel the 3D version will be broadcast. Therefore they are unable to tell you. They have also noted your dissatisfaction that they have not yet made a decision and logged your feelings about their tardiness as a complaint

I can't see how they could possibly have been more helpful.

I presume you will log another complaint if they do eventually choose to hijack BBC2HD for an hour.
    Forum Member
    Blimey. Did it really warrant a complaint? Each to their own I suppose but the only time I have directly complained to the BBC is when Graham Norton appeared at the end of an episode :)

I am sure the BBC have considered where they will broadcast the 3D episode and will say so in due course...