Android overtakes Apple's iOS in tablet market share

Comments

• wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I'm sure many actually enjoy the iTunes, IOS maps and the selected user experience but Apple still have their work cut out to improve on it.

That list of work rounds gets ever bigger.

You don't need iTunes to use an iPad so I'm not sure how that's relevant to the user experience. It would be like complaining about the Kindle experience because you choose to use Calibre to manage it. However iTunes isn't as bad as many people like to make out. The main issue with it is on Windows where its a bit bloated which can see it be sluggish without a good CPU and plenty of RAM.

The software itself isn't bad and there are major benefits to using it (or any catalogue based syncing program) over a drag and drop system. Admittedly there are also times when you want to sync a single item and drag and dropping would be so much easier but its horses for courses.

The Maps app was a fiasco but its an App not an integral part of the system. There are perhaps some Apps which may be but an app that for a long time they outsourced isn't really one of them imho. I do also suspect it wasn't supposed to launch when it did, it seems rushed so I'm guessing they expected Googke to renew the deal for another year but talks broke down.

Certainly the map app doesn't impact the core operation of the iPad which does work smoothly and in an intuitive manner,
    The fact it has iTunes on it ruins the user experience for me!

What exactly is wrong with iTunes on the iPad/iPhone? I can understand people hating iTunes on Windows because its somewhat slow and bloated (its a million times better on a mac mind you) but iTunes on iOS is nothing more than an App Store. An App Store that I personally think is better designed than the the Google Play one currently is
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    Certainly the map app doesn't impact the core operation of the iPad which does work smoothly and in an intuitive manner,
    ...but iTunes on iOS is nothing more than an App Store. An App Store that I personally think is better designed than the the Google Play one currently is
    I though iTunes was needed for copy and paste like function.

BTW - I consider core operation to be close to zero.
    A device is like a blank canvass with apps simply making the whole.
    Integration of the apps obviously is wider on Android, often with the security risk of what you are personally allowing.
  • PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I though iTunes was needed for copy and paste like function.

BTW - I consider core operation to be close to zero.
    A device is like a blank canvass with apps simply making the whole.
    Integration of the apps obviously is wider on Android, often with the security risk of what you are personally allowing.

As he said, iTunes on iOS is simply the store portion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    You don't need iTunes to use an iPad so I'm not sure how that's relevant to the user experience. It would be like complaining about the Kindle experience because you choose to use Calibre to manage it. However iTunes isn't as bad as many people like to make out. The main issue with it is on Windows where its a bit bloated which can see it be sluggish without a good CPU and plenty of RAM.

The software itself isn't bad and there are major benefits to using it (or any catalogue based syncing program) over a drag and drop system. Admittedly there are also times when you want to sync a single item and drag and dropping would be so much easier but its horses for courses.

The Maps app was a fiasco but its an App not an integral part of the system. There are perhaps some Apps which may be but an app that for a long time they outsourced isn't really one of them imho. I do also suspect it wasn't supposed to launch when it did, it seems rushed so I'm guessing they expected Googke to renew the deal for another year but talks broke down.

What exactly is wrong with iTunes on the iPad/iPhone? I can understand people hating iTunes on Windows because its somewhat slow and bloated (its a million times better on a mac mind you) but iTunes on iOS is nothing more than an App Store. An App Store that I personally think is better designed than the the Google Play one currently is

Apple's Maps app has come along quite well since the introduction. I use it all the time on my iPad 4, including turn by turn navigation, and I haven't had any issues with accuracy. The only thing it doesn't have is a Streetview function.

I don't see any significant difference between iTunes on Windows or Mac. Most people that complain about iTunes are either Apple haters to begin with or simply want it to be easier to illegally share music with friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact it has iTunes on it ruins the user experience for me!

iTunes for iOS is just the store so how exactly does that ruin "the user experience" for you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    :eek:Who the OP or DS tech news? Calling people a hater is a bit immature and I don't think the mods here approve. You might want to edit if you can!

Actually, it was a question.

And there is nothing wrong with calling someone a hater of a company when they make it very clear through their comments that they in fact do hate a particular company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using them to read books and play games is still using them! I don't think there are 'proper' uses for a tablet. If Apple fans don't approve of how people are using them and that it somehow makes it less of a tablet, that's up to them.

Anyway current figures say iOS 52% Android 43% BlackBerry 2% for web traffic using mobile devices.

Why are you quoting "proper" when referring to my comments about how Android tablets are likely being used? I never said or suggested what is proper use. I simply said they are obviously not being used no where near as much as the iPad for Internet use.

The "figures" I was referring to were ********tablet traffic******* and 90% of that comes from the iPad. Once again, tablet traffic.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    iTunes for iOS is just the store so how exactly does that ruin "the user experience" for you?

Because its the only place to get apps from and the new store on iOS is a right clunky mess and its only a webiste, yet they still made a mess of it. A right jerky stuttery mess on my iPhone.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you quoting "proper" when referring to my comments about how Android tablets are likely being used? I never said or suggested what is proper use. I simply said they are obviously not being used no where near as much as the iPad for Internet use.

The "figures" I was referring to were ablet traffic******* and ********90% of that comes from the iPad. Once again, tablet traffic.

It a grammar thing. I used the quotation marks to express my irony. It wasn't being used to directly quote you as you didn't say it.

You seem very angry about something what with your "hater" and all those "**********" comments ( quoting you this time). So I'll just bow out from other interaction with you.:D
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because its the only place to get apps from and the new store on iOS is a right clunky mess and its only a webiste, yet they still made a mess of it. A right jerky stuttery mess on my iPhone.

Are you now talking about ITunes or the App Store?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Are you now talking about ITunes or the App Store?

They're both a bit bad for that since the update.

I don't find it stuttery on my iPhone 5, but sometimes the thumbnails take ages to load. It looks and works a lot better though, performance issues aside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't find it stuttery on my iPhone 5, but sometimes the thumbnails take ages to load. It looks and works a lot better though, performance issues aside.

I know. I use the AppStore and agree it is a slower that it use to be. It still doesn't take as long as searching multiple stores which some on here were advocating;)

It wasn't clear to me as were discussing iTunes and then suddenly apps were brought up.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not stuttery on my ipad mini or ipod touch and they only use the A5 chip. It's smooth and zippy. Prehaps it doesn't work so well on the iphone 4?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. I use the AppStore and agree it is a slower that it use to be. It still doesn't take as long as searching multiple stores which some on here were advocating;)

It wasn't clear to me as were discussing iTunes and then suddenly apps were brought up.

You dont have to check all stores every day! A usable fluid store makes it a lot easier to find something than the jerky crap iOS store mind. I just couldn't use it in the last days of my iPhone 4.

iTunes/AppStore? Aren't they the same on iOS? Or are they different now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont have to check all stores every day! A usable fluid store makes it a lot easier to find something than the jerky crap iOS store mind. I just couldn't use it in the last days of my iPhone 4.

iTunes/AppStore? Aren't they the same on iOS? Or are they different now?

They have never been the same on the device. You say you own one so I'm surprised you don't know that.

And as for 'jerky crap', that isn't the store I use. It is a little slower but that is about it.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find almost every time I connect kids ipods up to pc and iTunes, that iTunes has an update.....frustrating
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I find almost every time I connect kids ipods up to pc and iTunes, that iTunes has an update.....frustrating

Is this using Windows? iTunes 11 was releasd in November 2012. There was an update in December, and another one in February. There have been no updates since then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have never been the same on the device. You say you own one so I'm surprised you don't know that.

And as for 'jerky crap', that isn't the store I use. It is a little slower but that is about it.

Just the AppStore then, i've never use iTunes on my iPhone obviously. I dont buy music.

It was jerky crap when they "upgraded" the appstore on iphone 4, and it was only a webpage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the AppStore then, i've never use iTunes on my iPhone obviously. I dont buy music.

It was jerky crap when they "upgraded" the appstore on iphone 4, and it was only a webpage!

Yeah, it must just run badly on the 4. I've just used it for a few minutes on my 5 and it's completely smooth, not jerky in the slightest. As I said before though, it does take too long for the images to load though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How was iTunes "only a web page??"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you being forced to update?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It a grammar thing. I used the quotation marks to express my irony. It wasn't being used to directly quote you as you didn't say it.

You seem very angry about something what with your "hater" and all those "**********" comments ( quoting you this time). So I'll just bow out from other interaction with you.:D

Typing ******** is indicative of someone being angry? :)

If people would read more carefully such emphasis on words wouldn't be used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know what you mean by its only a web page. It is an app:confused:
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you being forced to update?

Pretty sure it was mandatory but could be wrong. It has probably calmed with the current itunes version, but did feel like I was updating constantly before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure it was mandatory but could be wrong. It has probably calmed with the current itunes version, but did feel like I was updating constantly before.

Doubtful as I know of no Apple updates on any of their devices that is forced, and I'm a long time Mac and iOS user.