Options

Emmerdale- amazing right now! (Poss spoilers included)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
Forum Member
I can't believe how much Emmerdale has transformed since Kate Oates replaced Blackburn. I genuinely thought the show wouldn't be able to recover but she has made it unmissable in a matter of months, similar to what Phil Collinson did in Corrie taking over from Kim Crowther.

I love how all the characters are coming together through one single character-Cameron. She has turned a dull character and storyline into an unmissable one (albeit with still a dull character). Virtually every single character is now involved through Cameron's mess one way or another.

-Gennie-murdered by Cameron.
-Carl-murdered.
-Alex-murdered.
-Nikhil/Brenda/Jimmy-all affected by the grief.
-Edna- got into deeper money worries because of Cameron stealing from her.
-Declan-has gone under because of Cam burying Alex's body which has in turn affected all the residents who live in Declan's properties.
-Chas-framed for murder.
-Adam- going to be framed for murder.
-Debbie/Cain- constantly caught up in Cameron's mess.
-Amelia/Sean- blackmailing Cameron, which in turn gets Edna's medals back with the money he stole (genius!)

I always feel the best soap plots involve the entire community and the way this plot has been written since KO took over has been amazing with so many twists and turns.

Alongside this we have separate plots such as Rhona's addiction which has been fantastically written and acted and quite an unique plot adding the lesbian element.

And the start of the Amy/Kyle plot looks promising too.

SB loved long running story lines but they just didn't go anywhere and were so repetitive, I also hope the latest development in Alex's murder will lead to Declan moving out of Home Farm, one of the remaining problems from Blackburn's tenure.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin Blyth put Declan in Home Farm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Gavin Blyth put Declan in Home Farm

Yeah I realise that and when he was put in Home Farm he was an excellent character, but Blackburn turned him into a dull miserable man obsessed with Ikea.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    You've literally taken all the words out of my mouth Zoe. I was pretty much saying the same sort of things at the end of tonight's episode.

The thing I love (and like you've said) is how everyone now seems to be involved in the storyline which when it originally started seemed to become stale quite fast under SB (who IMO wrecked the show in his tenure). However, now its all changed under KO and she has turned the show around extremely quickly (new EP of EE take note).

I cannot wait to see how all this plays out and as I understand comes to a huge climax next month. I think it will be much better than the shows 40th as it has so much going for it atm. Emmerdale's last few months have been unmissable and like you say, it doesn't seem to go around in circles anymore. Instead, it sees the plot advancing at a fairly rapid pace. Excellent work by all - and I hope it continues. :)
  • Options
    samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking this just the other day. I love how the entire village has been affected; it's made for incredibly enjoyable viewing
  • Options
    Bobby_MarzBobby_Marz Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Emmerdale is set for a massive week in October
  • Options
    EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Emmerdale years ago, i might start again as it has sounded good right now.
  • Options
    avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Amy/Kyle storyline is just the same as the Martin/Sonia and Rebecca one from EE.
  • Options
    EvannahEvannah Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started watching it again. It turned into a right bore fest which is why I stopped watching all those months ago. Now I'm completely hooked!
  • Options
    Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had not watched Emmerdale for a loooong time (apart from the odd episode here and there) but caught a couple of episodes in the run up to Gennie dying and now im hooked!! Its the only soap i record (though im not a massive soap fan anyway)

The only bits that annoy me are the home farm bits, i dont like Megan at all.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avaconrad wrote: »
    The Amy/Kyle storyline is just the same as the Martin/Sonia and Rebecca one from EE.
    Better acted though! Chelsea Halfpenny has been extremely good, but the actors who played Sonia and Martin were awful, IMO.
    Joolz1975 wrote: »
    I had not watched Emmerdale for a loooong time (apart from the odd episode here and there) but caught a couple of episodes in the run up to Gennie dying and now im hooked!! Its the only soap i record (though im not a massive soap fan anyway)

The only bits that annoy me are the home farm bits, i dont like Megan at all.

It's improvement over the past few months has been tremendous. I didn't mind it under Stuart Blackburn's reign, but now we're getting more pace to the stories, fewer repetitive scenes, more humour to balance the darker stuff, and a good mix of characters with, as the OP pointed out, greater intermingling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better acted though! Chelsea Halfpenny has been extremely good, but the actors who played Sonia and Martin were awful, IMO.

I wouldn't know I always fast forward any scenes with Amy in then, all I I'm saying it's still a copy of EE down to the child being with the Grandmother.
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avaconrad wrote: »
    I wouldn't know I always fast forward any scenes with Amy in then, all I I'm saying it's still a copy of EE down to the child being with the Grandmother.

The actress playing Amy, looks and sounds so bored, which makes me bored watching her scenes. :yawn:
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe how much Emmerdale has transformed since Kate Oates replaced Blackburn. I genuinely thought the show wouldn't be able to recover but she has made it unmissable in a matter of months, similar to what Phil Collinson did in Corrie taking over from Kim Crowther.

I love how all the characters are coming together through one single character-Cameron. She has turned a dull character and storyline into an unmissable one (albeit with still a dull character). Virtually every single character is now involved through Cameron's mess one way or another.

-Gennie-murdered by Cameron.
    -Carl-murdered.
    -Alex-murdered.
    -Nikhil/Brenda/Jimmy-all affected by the grief.
    -Edna- got into deeper money worries because of Cameron stealing from her.
    -Declan-has gone under because of Cam burying Alex's body which has in turn affected all the residents who live in Declan's properties.
    -Chas-framed for murder.
    -Adam- going to be framed for murder.
    -Debbie/Cain- constantly caught up in Cameron's mess.
    -Amelia/Sean- blackmailing Cameron, which in turn gets Edna's medals back with the money he stole (genius!)

I always feel the best soap plots involve the entire community and the way this plot has been written since KO took over has been amazing with so many twists and turns.

Alongside this we have separate plots such as Rhona's addiction which has been fantastically written and acted and quite an unique plot adding the lesbian element.

And the start of the Amy/Kyle plot looks promising too.

SB loved long running story lines but they just didn't go anywhere and were so repetitive, I also hope the latest development in Alex's murder will lead to Declan moving out of Home Farm, one of the remaining problems from Blackburn's tenure.
    I agree with all of this. The way so many people are affected by Cameron is incredibly well done. I too would like to see someone else take over Home Farm from Declan. Maybe Steve will in the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    The actress playing Amy, looks and sounds so bored, which makes me bored watching her scenes. :yawn:

She's supposed to look and sound troubled and confused, which I think she does well. She's going through a very emotional time. She doesn't really have any one she's close to - Victoria hardly counts, she's too selfish and bossy. And her mam, well....

I did like her scenes with Andy when she was jokey, smiley and giggly though. I'd like to see that side of her again at some point - but with all this Kyle... it's scary and huge for her.

I hope she gets with one of the sons of Johns brother and he's all lovely and supportive! And makes her have fun too.
  • Options
    sarah_shortsarah_short Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's going through a very emotional time.

She's a boring whingebag 24/7 12 months of the year and drags Victoria down.:yawn:
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I hadn't made the connection between Cameron stealing Edna's money and him being blackmailed to buy the medals back. That is a stroke of genius, I don't know if that was the plan all along but I'm impressed.
  • Options
    ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's supposed to look and sound troubled and confused, which I think she does well. She's going through a very emotional time. She doesn't really have any one she's close to - Victoria hardly counts, she's too selfish and bossy. And her mam, well....

Amy is so whiny and self pitying but I guess I can understand why with the whole Kyle issue.

I don't agree with her not having anyone she's close to. She has Val and Pollard who are always there for her and are always trying to reach out to her and tip toe around her - they treat her better and seem to love her more than they do their own kids.
    She also has David who always listens to her and helps her out like a proper older brother.
    She also has her mum who's been reaching out to her but I can see why Amy doesn't want to know.
    And Victoria has always been a good friend to her, she might be a bit bossy but even then Amy doesn't listen to her - all Victoria's ever done is help Amy since the start of their friendship.
    Amy even has Zak and Belle to talk to, they've given her plenty of advice and they're always there to listen to her - they both seem to regard her pretty much as family.

Amy has a huge support network but she acts like she's on her own. Val and Pollard are always running after her. She takes them for granted.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Amelia/Sean blackmailing Cameron - genius?" I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, Zoe McCalister, sarcasm even. It is one of the most ridiculous stories and bad acting I have seen on Emmerdale; cringemaking. I haven't watched much since the Spencers were brought in to the show; I think that without them, Ms. Oates has a chance of bringing Emmerdale back to its former glory because the other storylines are great and there are some brilliant cast members..
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd just unveil Jai as Archie's dad though just to get that ridiculous storyline out the way. Get Jai off his high-horse about affairs too.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Amelia/Sean blackmailing Cameron - genius?" I assume this is tongue-in-cheek, Zoe McCalister, sarcasm even. It is one of the most ridiculous stories and bad acting I have seen on Emmerdale; cringemaking. I haven't watched much since the Spencers were brought in to the show; I think that without them, Ms. Oates has a chance of bringing Emmerdale back to its former glory because the other storylines are great and there are some brilliant cast members..

You never know, Janet, the kids might be Cameron's next victims:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a boring whingebag 24/7 12 months of the year and drags Victoria down.:yawn:

I'm so with you, Shorty!
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel94 wrote: »
    I wish they'd just unveil Jai as Archie's dad though just to get that ridiculous storyline out the way. Get Jai off his high-horse about affairs too.

I agree with this but I have a feeling it will be much later that Jai will be unveiled as Archie's dad. You're right he has a go at Charity about Declan but has this huge secret. I'd like to see the proverbial hit the fan about Archie and can't wait for Charity's reaction. She will go absolutely nuts especially as there has been a cover up.
  • Options
    Sisney_HunterSisney_Hunter Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the Cain and Charity scam :) it's going to be mint! Also the Amy Kyle s/l is going to be good too.
  • Options
    PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    Amy is so whiny and self pitying but I guess I can understand why with the whole Kyle issue.

I don't agree with her not having anyone she's close to. She has Val and Pollard who are always there for her and are always trying to reach out to her and tip toe around her - they treat her better and seem to love her more than they do their own kids.
    She also has David who always listens to her and helps her out like a proper older brother.
    She also has her mum who's been reaching out to her but I can see why Amy doesn't want to know.
    And Victoria has always been a good friend to her, she might be a bit bossy but even then Amy doesn't listen to her - all Victoria's ever done is help Amy since the start of their friendship.
    Amy even has Zak and Belle to talk to, they've given her plenty of advice and they're always there to listen to her - they both seem to regard her pretty much as family.

Amy has a huge support network but she acts like she's on her own. Val and Pollard are always running after her. She takes them for granted.
    My problem with Amy is that I just cannot understand what she is saying!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Popsiemia wrote: »
    My problem with Amy is that I just cannot understand what she is saying!

It's worst when Amy,Val and Kerry all appear in the same scene it's like Geordie Shore.