Kitten suddenly Refusing to use litter tray

2»

Comments

• teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    i actually have a cat who came from a litter born when the mum cat was just 5 months old, so yes it is definitely possible.

Oh no. She is a tiny kitten so I'd worry about the effect on her wee body.

Would pregnancy alter her toilet behaviour?
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat "escaped" ?

Could it be that she experienced a better place to toilet?

Our cat would never again entertain a litter tray once he found out he could go and do it as far away from the house as possible.

If we ever locked him in - he used our brothers bed on the top floor of the house - and never the litter tray!
  • pixiepiepixiepie Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kitten is 5 months old and she cries to go outside rather than use her litter tray.
    The second she discovered she could go outside she decided she much preferred it. She loves being outside.

That's a bit of an issue at the moment because she has just been spayed and we've been keeping her indoors to heal.
    Having said that she does still use it, eventually after much fuss!, and we've never had any issues with her going anywhere in the house other than her tray so I wouldn't think your cats behaviour would be a result of her trip outside.

As regards pregnancy, I can't pretend to be an expert but after asking advice from my vet we allowed our cat outside before she was spayed as she was nearly hysterical being confined (as she is at the moment!). Luckily she didn't wander and stayed in our garden and the neighbours next door and we just allowed her out for short bursts.
    The vet said it was highly unlikely she'd get pregnant (although I had heard they could get pregnant from 4 months).

Anyway my point is that I wouldn't get overly anxious about pregnancy if she wasn't gone too long, the litter issue could be down to something else.