Options

Boiler cover

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
Forum Member
Does anyone know if you can start up boiler cover, e.g. British Gas' Homecare, with a broken boiler?!

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you can't. You have to pay to have the boiler fixed and once fixed you can then take out the cover from then on forwards. Which if you think about it is logical
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I've sat down and had a think. Oh yes, it is logical.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get a "1st fix" which you pay a fixed fee for a repair plus a 12 month contract tie in with British Gas and they will repair the boiler.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how does that differ from what I said ?
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I joined BG boiler care, and all it cost me was their monthly fee, plus the parts for the broken boiler. I did not have to pay for the call out charge.
    It was great for me as I had already been without heating and hw over the Christmas period and there was snow on the ground. No one else would come out till it had thawed as they claimed over the phone that my pipes was frozen (no one even came and looked)
    BG diagnosed a faulty fan and it was fixed the next day.
    They may be more costly but I got warm as a result! This was 2011, so I dunno if they have changed this policy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt that like taking out car insurance on a vehicle after its been involved in an accident?
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people I work for you can take out an agreement but there's a call out charge of £65 plus then the cost of the parts. Once that's done then the boiler's covered for a year. You also get an initial inspection done once the boiler's repaired..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how does that differ from what I said ?

Because you didn't actually say anything constructive that would help the OP. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrobbo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can start up boiler cover, e.g. British Gas' Homecare, with a broken boiler?!
    Yes you can, or at least it used to be possible, because that's how we started it 7 or 8 years ago.

We went without heat/hot water for 5 days (over a weekend) after two local companies we called out decided they weren't qualified to work on our system after they'd looked at it. The second one suggested British Gas. We called BG out, and the engineer mentioned their cover. He said he could fix it, and if we signed up to their cover, there would be no additional charge for the repair or call-out. We signed up, he ordered the parts that day, fitted them the following day, and it didn't cost us a penny extra. We've been with them ever since.