Options

The Abomination are making it official (Emmerdale) I feel sick

Comments

• Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Yes, that was the worst part about putting them together. They threw one of the few truly "good" characters in the village under a bus just so Marlon and Laurel wouldn't come out of the story looking like the bad guys. :rolleyes:

And poor Ashley has been left wandering around in search of another storyline ever since.

Totally agree with you, Cherry and Glenda - all spot on.

'Tis all the stupid writers' fault with their clumsy and inept attempt to create new sls without having the foresight to see the long term damage they do to certain characters. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Totally agree with you, Cherry and Glenda - all spot on.

'Tis all the stupid writers' fault with their clumsy and inept attempt to create new sls without having the foresight to see the long term damage they do to certain characters. :mad:

I'm hoping the marriage goes the way of most in soapland lol :D
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    I quite like Marlon :D

*runs

Can't be worse than me liking Debbie :o:o:p
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping the marriage goes the way of most in soapland lol :D
    Or there could be a Dynasty-style shootout at their wedding. That would be entertaining. :D
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they get to their vows in church and Laurel looks at him, goes 'urgh god what am I doing' then dashes out to be sick, leaving the gormless dork stood at the alter with the rest of the village doing a Nelson Muntz style 'ha-ha'. Laurel can then rush around the village yelling for Ashley, shouting how she's made a mistake and never loved the long armed lummox loud enough for the moron to hear whilst he's stood looking on with his 'sad face':D If Ashley then takes her back they can use Maurel's hotel bed/ honeymoon to re-consummate their relationship:o
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or there could be a Dynasty-style shootout at their wedding. That would be entertaining. :D

A gun toting Gabby as the bridesmaid :eek::D
  • Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    Can't be worse than me liking Debbie :o:o:p

why do ya keep going on like you're the only one who likes her:confused: she has lots of fans on here and you know it so i find it strange you keep acting like this.:o
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, it's nothing to do with looks or even chemistry.

They have irritating personalities, which are exacerbated when the the two of them are together.

There is absolutely no indication at all that they're in any way attracted to each other, or ever have been. They were mates, that's all.

Marlon thinks every woman who looks twice at him is the great love of his life, so it's impossible to take him seriously, and Laurel suffers as a character for this is as well.

Compared to how Laurel and Ashley just seemed natural and believable as a couple (as did Paddy and Rhona) - they were relaxed, bickered a lot, but genuinely seemed to like and care for one another, and had some intimacy. There's no indication of that whatsoever with Maurel.

In fact, since the whole car jacking thing the impression I get is that Laurel can't be bothered with Marlon and has very little respect for him.

The guy who plays Marlon is not a very good actor, IMO, and it's awkward and embarrassing watching him try to do any sort of romantic, or relationship based scenes. He acts like a teenager completely smitten with someone, not an adult trying to build a relationship with someone he might want to spend the rest of his life with.

There are couples that you can enjoy watching on screen, because they seem to just 'work' together, regardless of how physically attractive they are. You can relate to them, because they seem like everyday couples - they're not in the first flush of romance and sexual attraction - but they have a genuine love, are committed to each other and are building a future together. Roy and Hayley in Coronation st are an obvious example, as were Laurel and Ashley. Lisa and Zak are another.

Agreed
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they get to their vows in church and Laurel looks at him, goes 'urgh god what am I doing' then dashes out to be sick, leaving the gormless dork stood at the alter with the rest of the village doing a Nelson Muntz style 'ha-ha'. Laurel can then rush around the village yelling for Ashley, shouting how she's made a mistake and never loved the long armed lummox loud enough for the moron to hear whilst he's stood looking on with his 'sad face':D If Ashley then takes her back they can use Maurel's hotel bed/ honeymoon to re-consummate their relationship:o

LOL! I love it, Collie - especially the Nelson Muntz laugh! If they want to put in a Muttley laugh as well, my joy will be complete. :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was the worst part about putting them together. They threw one of the few truly "good" characters in the village under a bus just so Marlon and Laurel wouldn't come out of the story looking like the bad guys. :rolleyes:

And poor Ashley has been left wandering around in search of another storyline ever since.
    Not really. He can't be in every storyline. His time will come again.
  • Options
    80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    Nether do Cain and Moira. John died a broken hearted man thanks to Cain and Moira. Cain never expressed any remose for what he did. Yet 6 months after John's dead he's moving in John's farm and shagging John's widow in John's bed. But that's OK because Cain and Moira are good looking and have chemistry.

I don't agree that John died a broken hearted man, they were trying to mend their marriage before he died.

I don't think it's anything to do with looks either but Cain and Moira do have chemistry - unlike Marlon and Laurel. This is the problem I have always had with them as a couple - IMO they simply do not go together as a couple. I never had a problem with either character before they got together but I cannot stand either of them now.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    Not really. He can't be in every storyline. His time will come again.
    Of course not, but just one storyline would be a start...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not, but just one storyline would be a start...
    He's had some major ones. Daniel's death and the baby swap, Sally Spode, the Sandy thing...
    It's not good to be on screen too much, people get extremely sick of the character. e.g. Chas, Debbie and to a lesser degree Cameron although I think he's at least interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

hahaha post of the thread :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Viewers will never forgive the way Blackburn made Ashley a pensioner basher just to justify Laurel and Marlon's relationship.

These are taken straight from my mind! I wouldn't have minded Maurel as much if they were just two single people who hooked up! But the way they were conceived, burying Ashley in that unforgivable fashion to make these two jokers look good was horrific and a farce and for the reason that Marlon has gotten away with wrecking a family and then trying to play the victim card which includes getting EVERYTHING his own way makes me dislike the character very much! The Maurel concept have done nothing but leave a trail of destruction behind them everywhere they go!

Next week is gonna be a very trying week indeed!
  • Options
    80's Gal80's Gal Posts: 12,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These are taken straight from my mind! I wouldn't have minded Maurel as much if they were just two single people who hooked up! But the way they were conceived, burying Ashley in that unforgivable fashion to make these two jokers look good was horrific and a farce and for the reason that Marlon has gotten away with wrecking a family and then trying to play the victim card which includes getting EVERYTHING his own way makes me dislike the character very much! The Maurel concept have done nothing but leave a trail of destruction behind them everywhere they go!

Next week is gonna be a very trying week indeed!

Cheer up JR
    theres quite a lot of Amy in next weeks spoilers too
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80's Gal wrote: »
    Cheer up JR
    theres quite a lot of Amy in next weeks spoilers too
    :)

Normally that would delight me very much! But seeing what happens is just :cry: to heartbreaking :cry: and...............:cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally that would delight me very much! But seeing what happens is just :cry: to heartbreaking :cry: and...............:cry::cry::cry:

Aah, but JR, it's tying her into Emmerdale's founding family, and also giving her another connection via Sarah and Jack (in addition to Kyle and her friendship with Zak), to its' largest family group. They might well be planning a big future in the soap for young Amy, if she wants to stay. :)

and just imagine family Christmas at Lisa's place, with Cain, Amy, Debbie, Andy, the Spencers (who have been invited by Rachel and Sam), Adumb (dragged along by Moira) and Robbie (who Adumb's taken pity on and invited for some reason). . Aahh ...Adumb being thick, Debbie and Chas bickering, Robbie being Robbie, Andy feeling up Amy, loved up Cain and Moira (I like that one personally), Cain bouncing Kyle on his knee.... it warms the cockles of your heart:p:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find it unconvincing that Ashley was terrible to his Dad - he was under extreme stress at the time, and he had an already fractious relationship with his Dad (who is a difficult, overbearing character). Ashley is quite an impatient person and he just took the building strain out on his Dad. It wasn't a character assassination - if anything he's now a nicer, kinder, humbler more understanding man who is building a better relationship with his Dad.

TBH, although I liked him and Laurel as a couple, and respected the fact that they got through the Sally Spode ordeal, I honestly think that Laurel doesn't deserve him now. I really do hope they can put together a decent story for him, because I fear he's on his way to being written out if they don't.
  • Options
    CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    LOL! I love it, Collie - especially the Nelson Muntz laugh! If they want to put in a Muttley laugh as well, my joy will be complete. :D:D

:D oh yes that would be perfect! All the ones at the back of the church sniggering and laughing like Muttley:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difference is - if you can switch your brain off and forget their past history - Cain and Moira are believable as a couple. This is because the actors work well together and are natural, which compensates for the often dodgy writing that has surrounded them.

Maurel and Laurel, on the other hand, do not work well together. The writing that put them together was also unbelievable, but what really kills them is that there's no romantic spark there to sell the unbelievable plotting. They are one of those couples that might work OK as friends but have no sexual chemistry whatsoever (see also: Alfie and Roxy in Eastenders.) It has nothing to do with looks, it's all about connection between the actors.

If I have to switch off my brain to believe in them as a couple there is problem. What makes them so believable as a couple anyway? The only thing they have in common is their good looks. All Moira ever does is belittle Cain and make him know that he's not good enough for her. I still think that if Moira was plain Jane and Cain was average Joe, people would judge them more harshly. There can never be a thread about the character without the mandatory Cain's fit comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aah, but JR, it's tying her into Emmerdale's founding family, and also giving her another connection via Sarah and Jack (in addition to Kyle and her friendship with Zak), to its' largest family group. They might well be planning a big future in the soap for young Amy, if she wants to stay. :)

and just imagine family Christmas at Lisa's place, with Cain, Amy, Debbie, Andy, the Spencers (who have been invited by Rachel and Sam), Adumb (dragged along by Moira) and Robbie (who Adumb's taken pity on and invited for some reason). . Aahh ...Adumb being thick, Debbie and Chas bickering, Robbie being Robbie, Andy feeling up Amy, loved up Cain and Moira (I like that one personally), Cain bouncing Kyle on his knee.... it warms the cockles of your heart:p:p:p

Andy wont be feeling anyone up thank you! :mad:

And anyway BIB i personally like the thought of Cain and Ali being all loved up! :cool::p
    I didn't find it unconvincing that Ashley was terrible to his Dad - he was under extreme stress at the time, and he had an already fractious relationship with his Dad (who is a difficult, overbearing character). Ashley is quite an impatient person and he just took the building strain out on his Dad. It wasn't a character assassination - if anything he's now a nicer, kinder, humbler more understanding man who is building a better relationship with his Dad.

TBH, although I liked him and Laurel as a couple, and respected the fact that they got through the Sally Spode ordeal, I honestly think that Laurel doesn't deserve him now. I really do hope they can put together a decent story for him, because I fear he's on his way to being written out if they don't.

I think it was all about how they did it more than anything! The Elder abuse storyline was a good idea but in this case it was just manipulative nonsense! Ashley has been under a lot more stress before and he never felt the need to smack his dad but all of a sudden the lanky pub chef comes along (after Daniel and Sally Spode) and he's snapped!

Using a sensitive issue with a popular character in a cheap manipulative way in order to put these two together was a very low point in Emmerdale's history!
  • Options
    JohnMc1JohnMc1 Posts: 943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dubgaz wrote: »
    Why Kate Oates, WHYYYYYYYY.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s12/emmerdale/scoop/a517877/emmerdale-charlotte-bellamy-talks-laurel-marlon-engagement.html

You are a great producer so why in the hell do you give these two halfwits a storyline

My hopes for this show turning around were dashed very quickly. The Chas/Cameron/Debbie garbage still drags on and Debbie still hasn't and probably never will pay for any of actions this past year. Now Oates is actually going to have the most hated couple on the show get married? That was one of the things she should have halted the minute she took the reigns. Sadly it seems like she's an out of touch know it all like Blackburn.
  • Options
    DuchessKittyDuchessKitty Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlotte Bellamy thinks Marlon is a popular character? If she had said it sarcastically I'd believe it. There is something about him that is just so unlikable. The gurning. The weird lurching body movements. The odd way he enunciates words. Ugh, he's repellent!!! :mad:

Combine that with Laurel's twee baby voice and general sanctimony and you have a recipe for making viewers want to punch their own TVs.

Throw self-piteous Paddy into the mix, the man with no spine (you've been dealing with your wife's addiction for about a fortnight properly. What a hardship! :mad:) and you have a group just crying out to be Cameroned. :mad:

Seriously, they want to boost viewers? Get rid of Maurel. It won't ever be accepted, mostly due to the destruction of Ashley. No one buys him as a pensioner-battering monster as it was so contrived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy wont be feeling anyone up thank you! :mad:

And anyway BIB i personally like the thought of Cain and Ali being all loved up! :cool::p

I think it was all about how they did it more than anything! The Elder abuse storyline was a good idea but in this case it was just manipulative nonsense! Ashley has been under a lot more stress before and he never felt the need to smack his dad but all of a sudden the lanky pub chef comes along (after Daniel and Sally Spode) and he's snapped!

Using a sensitive issue with a popular character in a cheap manipulative way in order to put these two together was a very low point in Emmerdale's history!

aye, it really could have, and should have been a stand alone story, allowing the Ashley and Sandy to explore their history and relationship a bit, not an excuse for Maurel to do ... well whatever Maurel do.:mad: