Getting away by myself over Christmas

2»

Comments

• Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know Millie - there must be so many like yourself in the same boat that for a whole host of reasons, feel a huge compulsion to get away from it all at Christmas and Boxing Day. In fact, I bet there'd be quite a market for a - singles only "escape the Christmas madness" break away! You could start a unique little business! :D
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    How about Boavista in the Cape Verde islands?

Not that much further south than the Canaries and Boavista is pretty much a giant beach. A lot less touristy than most places as well. They speak mainly Portuguese so I daresay your Spanish would get you by.

A guy I worked with went a few years back and loved it.

Probably as cheap to go to Mexico, Dominican Republic or Cuba.
  • edwinbotedwinbot Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I get it. My mum is a jeahovah's witness (i'm not) so i didn't grow up celebrating x-mas. It's never been a big deal for me or my brothers. I''m single and have no dependants etc so no need to do it for someone else.

Good excuse for making a roast though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Probably as cheap to go to Mexico, Dominican Republic or Cuba.

But a lot less flying time!

(And Boavista is probably a lot less tourist-ised than most parts of those places. Think Sal and Santiago are the only two of the islands that have really had the white hotel tourist treatment...)

But having had a look, you're right, flights there ain't exactly cheap. Return from London (with a stop, very few direct to Boavista from the UK) were coming in over £500. Ouch!

Once you get there it's cheap though ...