Most boring Political Topic?

angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
Forum Member
In spite of the amount of time devoted to American Politics by the UK media, it hardly registers on this forum.

Does that mean that everyone else finds it as boring as I do?

Comments

• northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason journalists are fascinated by US politics, as they also are by US TV shows.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah US politics is way below anti-EU/Immigration in the boredom stakes
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    redtux wrote: »
    Nah US politics is way below anti-EU/Immigration in the boredom stakes

For you, but seemingly not for others.

Check this page of the forum for proof.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get my head around US politics except when there's an election, because then everyone and their dog is posting handy FAQs all over the internet about how it works, and there are useful diagrams on the telly and people talking you through it on the radio. And then I forget it all in the intervening 4 years.

This isn't a diss of the US political system, by the way- I imagine ours is equally arcane to an outsider. (An unelected second house? WTF???)
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really the politics in America that interests me (although I do enjoy the political stories on the Daily Show), more the religious views held by some of it's prominent characters. Religion is so big in politics there compared to here, I find it fascinating.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cost of living crisis. I actually want to hit people everytime I hear that.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »

Why, what is wrong with that statement
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 News are obsessed with US politics. I'd say the Middle East and Northern Ireland are the most boring subjects. Also the EU, but that becomes interesting when leaving is the topic.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of you are posting about Political subjects that you find Interesting or Entertaining and in that sense you might find some topics boring or irritating.
    I get that.

But for others the topics that you find dull might be of a desperate and urgent nature. It is possible that they are not posting for their own entertainment.
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »
    In spite of the amount of time devoted to American Politics by the UK media, it hardly registers on this forum.

I certainly feel the same way. When I saw the heading to this thread the current story about the American budget came to mind.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I can't get my head around US politics except when there's an election, because then everyone and their dog is posting handy FAQs all over the internet about how it works, and there are useful diagrams on the telly and people talking you through it on the radio. And then I forget it all in the intervening 4 years.

This isn't a diss of the US political system, by the way- I imagine ours is equally arcane to an outsider. (An unelected second house? WTF???)

There isn't any. They're a one-system state. :)
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for me as a scot its the independence debate...
  • Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Why, what is wrong with that statement

PrestonAl and his Tory chums would prefer no one dicussed the elephant in the room.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    For some reason journalists are fascinated by US politics, as they also are by US TV shows.

Well UK TV has got so dull and unadventurous that TOWIE and Made in Chelsea are about the only things they can think of to talk about.

Not sure why they find US politics so interesting though. The other topic I have no real interest in is the whole Israel-Palestine situation. I feel the same way about that as I did whenever a NI windbag came on to talk about the IRA or the ludicrously misnamed Loyalists.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The forum is way to busy fussing over the "bedroom tax", benefit cuts and the evil Tories to think about politics.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason US politics barely registers in the forum is that the machinations there barely affect us. Come presidential election time and the forum will be full of US threads.

For journalists it's unceasingly interesting because it might lead to some interesting travel opportunities. And they like to be able to explain things to us. It gives them something to pad out their reports.

My most boring topic is actually a phrase. "Unfit for purpose." Being used increasingly often, and it's often applied inaccurately and to the benefit of the person saying it. The first time I recall it being used in politics was by John Reid, taking over as Home Secretary and using it to basically absolve himself of any future failings by saying the department was like that when he got there. Rather Homer Simpson like.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find myself drifting off when education is being discussed. Terrible I know but that`s just how it is. I like controversial subjects or good old fashioned left v right debate. I was sick of hearing about immigration on Sky news last week, people banging on about hordes of Romanians/Bulgarians swarming into the UK. Syria bored me, as did Egypt.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    The reason US politics barely registers in the forum is that the machinations there barely affect us. Come presidential election time and the forum will be full of US threads.

For journalists it's unceasingly interesting because it might lead to some interesting travel opportunities. And they like to be able to explain things to us. It gives them something to pad out their reports.

I actually find the Presidential election coverage fairly boring as well. Its certainly long winded.

A bit at the end would do, but it seems to go on and on. The journalists who rush out there to cover it seem to enjoy it all and, as you suggest, one wonders if thats why we get so much of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Yes American politics is really f*ing boring. I have to say I have no interest in it whatsoever, despite my best efforts. Even the elections are dreary affairs, and I really can't handle Obama's cringe.

Nonetheless we have plenty of boring political topics of our own. Chief among them are:

a) the bedroom tax
    b) NHS reforms
    c) education reforms
    d) 'strivers and skivers'
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't any. They're a one-system state. :)

Yeah, that's true... you'd have thought the one upside of that, though, would be that the whole thing would be a lot less complicated.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find the Presidential election coverage fairly boring as well. Its certainly long winded.

A bit at the end would do, but it seems to go on and on. The journalists who rush out there to cover it seem to enjoy it all and, as you suggest, one wonders if thats why we get so much of it.
    It's very important to us and needs good coverage. The problem is that the media get far too excited by the first primaries and forget it's a marathon and not a sprint. The details of the primaries is of almost no relevance here, we don't need to understand all the local issues. The coverage should ramp up as the nomination process firms up.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's the Israel/Palestine issue. Its never ending and I've lost the will to care.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottish independence for me.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »

You know in a few months time, they'll be some other "in" phrase with Labour. They've gone through "too far, too fast", then we had "predistribution", then we had "living wage" and now we're onto the "cost of living crisis". Meanwhile I'll be asleep somewhere.