• OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    301) Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex - Anne Frank
    302) Punctured (Las Vegas Mystery - Rex Kusler
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    89. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (12th-14th October) – Sparks annoys me a bit when he writes as it’s all very ‘she realised she was falling in love with him’ continually and repeatedly. His presentation of a drunkard abusive husband was a little more interesting, but the twist at the end of the book hacked me off a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    303) The Marseille Caper - Peter Mayle
    304) The Promise of Happiness - Erin Kaye
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep missing books off this list, so time to get back on track.

89. The Harmony Silk Factory, by Tash Aw. Pre-indepence Malaysia, and the Japanese are about to invade. The life of disreputable factory owner, Johnny Lim, is narrated through his wife, son and friend. The three strands blend very well, and this is beautifully written. 4/5

90. When Captain Flint Was Still a Good Man, by Nick Dybeck. Set in a small town in the Olympic Peninsula, young Cal grows up seeing the men of the town set sail every year to fish in Alaska. When the owner of the ships suddenly dies, the men have harsh decisions to make to ensure the survival of the fleet and Cal begins to see a very different side to his father. Very good. 3.5/5

91. Stettin Station, by David Downing. The 3rd of the station series. John Russell and Effi Koenen. Berlin 1941, and life becomes increasingly difficult for this interesting pair. 4/5

92. The Luminaries, by Eleanor Catton. She has just been crowned Booker winner with this, so I'm a little out of step because I didn't like it very much. 1860s New Zealand, and much skullduggery is happening in a prospecting town. Very cleverly structured, with lots of intrigue and twists and turns. I found it too long to justify the 800 pages, and it all seemed a bit too clever for me and I found it rather cold. The best review comment I have seen is that 'you read on but you don't read in', and that sums it up for me. 3/5

93. Rachel's Holiday, by Marian Keys. My first Marian Keys, and I think it will be my last. I know she is a doyenne of this genre, but Rachel's stint in rehab I found pretty simplistic and dull. A few laughs, but just not for me. 2/5

94. Potsdam Station, by David Downing. 1945, Berlin is under attack and the Soviets are creating a hideous time for the population . Much drama for John and Effi. 4/5

95. Dr Sleep, by Stephen King. I really wanted to like this follow up to the much loved The Shining. It was interesting to see what happened to young Danny Torrance, but this has nowhere near the fright level of The Shining. Torrance is caught up with a young girl, Abra, who has a mighty shine. The pair are thrown into battle with a group called the True Knot and this is typical King territory, but a bit of a let down for me. 3/5
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    25. The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky

26. The Girl Who Cicumnavigated Fairyland In a Ship of her Own Making- Catherynne M Valente

27. All She Wants- Jonathan Harvey

28. Pharmakon - Dirk Whittenborn

29. The Tin Star- J L Lang

30. Daughter of Smoke and Bone- Laini Taylor

:Di aimed for 30 books to read this year and I have made it, very happy and hope to read another ten at least this year:D
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    27) Until you're mine- Samantha Hayes 8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    305) The Donor - Helen Fitzgerald

306) The Casual Vacancy - J K Rowling
    I was glad to finish this - it seemed to go on for ever. My first and probably last JK Rowling read methinks
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90. A Once Upon a Time Tale: Reawakened by Odette Beane (14th-18th October) – very few surprises in this one as I’ve seen Series 1 of the TV show, although this re-juggled some of the stories and made more sense in some places!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    307) The Preacher - Camilla Lackberg
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    52. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion. Was enjoyable enough, bit of a cliche ending but some genuine laugh out loud moments in there too.
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    349. Second Book Of General Ignorance - John Lloyd and John Mitchinson 8/10
    Faber and Faber, 391 pages
    <Non-Fiction> Inspired by the BBC show QI and with a foreword by Stephen Fry this book totally annihilates many 'truisms'… such as bats being blind, Napoleon being short, diamonds being the hardest substance and more. Enjoyable and I suppose educational read.

350. The Flash - Mike Baron run - Mike Baron, Jackson Guiche etc. 5/10
    D C Comics, 345 pages
    <Graphic Novel>The death of the (original) Flash, sees Wally West pick up the mantle, and his own comic. Collects The Flash volume two #1-14 and Annual #1.
    351. The Flash - WM Loebbs run part one - WM Loebbs, Greg LaRocque etc. 5/10
    D C Comics, 523 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The Flash volume two #15-33 and Annuals #2-3
    352. The Flash - WM Loebbs run part two - WM Loebbs, Greg LaRocque etc 3/10
    D C Comics, 718 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The Flash volume two #34-61 and Annual #4. The end of Loebb's run.

353. Next Wave Agents of H.A.T.E. - Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen etc. 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 280 Pages
    <Graphic Novel> Ellis's satirical and comedic take on the superhero genre and Marvel Comics in general sees him take five underused Marvel charactes on a few adventures. Includes Photon, Boom Boom and Machine Man.

354. One Moment, One Morning - Sarah Rayner 6/10
    Picador Books (Pan MacMillan), 407 pages
    <Drama> An understated yet stranngely compelling story about loss and change. Three women's lives are changed when one moment, one morning on the London-Brighton train death rears its ugly head.

355. The Summer Of The Bear - Bella Pollen 6/10
    Pan Books (Pan MacMillan), 452 pages
    <Drama> Clever part thriller, part magical realist and all heart. A family is living on a deserted island after the death of their diplomant husband/father… and the family begins to disintegrate as each of them struggle to undertsand how and why he died. A nice easy page turner.

356. I Am Max Lamm - Raphael Brous 6/10
    Corsair (Constable & Robinson), 231 pages
    <Dark Comedy> A book best described by the back cover blurb 'Tennis. Sex. Scandal. Murder? I Am Max Lamm is a raucous debut - a darkly humourous exploration of family loyalty, disgrace and collective hysteria in the Age of Terror'… and I would add that it is set in a 21st century London under the Tony Blair government, and that the main characters are all Americans living abroad... interesting read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    308) Sophie Kinsella - I've Got Your Number
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    309) Forget you had a daughter - Sandra Gregory
    310) The uplicate - Helen Fitzgerald
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    53. The Circle - Dave Eggers. Wish I'd waited for paperback version. I read an excerpt in the NY Times and thought it was excellent but ran out of steam towards the end, although the writing itself was very good but the plot lacked substance.
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    47. Traitor - Murray McDonald.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    39) The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    309) Forget you had a daughter - Sandra Gregory
    310) The uplicate - Helen Fitzgerald

310) should be "The Duplicate"

311) A Stone's Throw - Fiona Shaw
    312) The Calligrapher's Daughter - Eugenia Kim
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    81. The Scorch Trials - James Dashner
    82. Strange Loyalties - William McIlvanney
    83. Travels in West Africa - Mary Henrietta Kingsley
    84. The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux
    85. The Testament of Mary - Colm Toibin

86. King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
    87. Harvest - Jim Crace
    88. The Mindful Way Through Depression - Mark Williams et al
    89. We Need New Names - Noviolet Bulawayo
    90. Allegiant - Veronica Roth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    313) Night Waking - Sarah Moss
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    314) In Her Shadow - Louise Douglas
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    58. The Humans by Matt Haig. Audio book version. A space alien' s view of humanity. Warm and funny overall, but there were some jarring inconsistencies in places and it got a bit schmaltzy towards the end.

59. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. As broadcast on Radio 4extra over the past fortnight. I don't think that it was abridged so I'm claiming it as a book. Inspector Grant investigates the murder of the Princes in th Tower from his hospital bed. The book was first published in 1951 and shows its age in Grant' s attitudes. Very enjoyable with nice musical interludes.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40) The Girls Weekend by Jaci Byrne
  • Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17) The Final Empire (Mistborn 1) by Brandon Sanderson
    18) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn 2) by Brandon Sanderson
    19) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn 3) by Brandon Sanderson
    20) Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Private Berlin by James Patterson & Mark Sullivan
    2 - 12th of Never by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
    3 - Hitman: My Real Life in the Wold of Cartoon Wrestling by Bret Hart
    4 - Doctor Who: An Unearthly Child by Terrance Dicks
    5 - Doctor Who and the Daleks by David Whitaker
    6 - Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Genesis by John Peel
    7 - Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Exodus by Terrance Dicks
    8 - Alex Cross Run by James Patterson
    9 - Inferno by Dan Brown
    10 - The Missing Half by Brooke Powley
    11 - The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling
    12 - Football Manager Stole My Life by Ian McIntosh, Kenny Millar and Neil White
    13 - Gone by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge

14 - Craig Bellamy: GoodFella by Craig Bellamy
    15 - The Hardcore Truth by Bob Holly and Ross Williams