Options

DWP permanent sec Devereux to resign over Universal Credit & welfare reform disaster

barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10390434/Welfare-fiasco-chief-to-resign.html

Once again IDS blaming everyone but himself, don't get me wrong Devereux was equally as useless but its on IDS' head too. Also DWP workers and those staff working on Universal Credit are 'just waiting for an implosion as its just a matter of time'.

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually no it seems it could be the Commons Public accounts Committee blaming Devereux as this extract says

Robert Devereux, the permanent secretary to the Department for Work and Pensions, will be criticised in a report by the Commons public accounts committee after a string of problems emerged in the development of the flagship universal credit programme.

It is understood that Mr Devereux has told senior government figures that he is prepared to resign if, as expected, he is personally criticised in the MPs’ report
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is IDS still alive? He seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Actually no it seems it could be the Commons Public accounts Committee blaming Devereux as this extract says

Robert Devereux, the permanent secretary to the Department for Work and Pensions, will be criticised in a report by the Commons public accounts committee after a string of problems emerged in the development of the flagship universal credit programme.

It is understood that Mr Devereux has told senior government figures that he is prepared to resign if, as expected, he is personally criticised in the MPs’ report

Well he better pack his bags because that is exactly what IDS is going to do and what the MPs report will do too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is understood that Mr Devereux has told senior government figures that he is prepared to resign if, as expected, he is personally criticised in the MPs’ report[/I].
    He was expected to make a success of a poor idea. He must have known for ages that this was how it was going to end. IDS will just continue with his delusion
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    He was expected to make a success of a poor idea. He must have known for ages that this was how it was going to end. IDS will just continue with his delusion

You have got to thank your lucky stars IDS is only work and pensions secretary imagine what would have happened if he was prime minister, arrogent, not listening to others, changing the law when he has found to have broken it. Nukes would fall on an allied country just because a politican of that country criticised one of his policies.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10390434/Welfare-fiasco-chief-to-resign.html

Once again IDS blaming everyone but himself, don't get me wrong Devereux was equally as useless but its on IDS' head too. Also DWP workers and those staff working on Universal Credit are 'just waiting for an implosion as its just a matter of time'.

Don't feel to sorry for Devereux, he'll get a six figure pay off and inflation proofed pension.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

papier machet muppets aren't alive :D
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noticed this too.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or Osbourne telling IDS to keep his big mouth shut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Or Osbourne telling IDS to keep his big mouth shut.
    Can you imagine IDS obey orders?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Working on the rebranding and relaunch of IDS, the man without blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    Working on the rebranding and relaunch of IDS, the man without blame.
    He's surfaced in Somerset
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only there had been a major conflict when IDS was in the army... and he'd had an altercation with a frag grenade lobbed into his loo?

That man is ODIOUS
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I am watching the Devereux developments with dignified curiosity and just the glimmer of a smile.

For some peculiar reason I keep thinking of the word touche. Goodness knows why. So does he. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you imagine IDS obey orders?

I can imagine him using that excuse when the trials start.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    papier machet muppets aren't alive :D

This

You have to be human to have a sense of humanity
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    So is the head of the DWP going to claim jobseekers?
  • Options
    Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We can only wish...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pippa 2 wrote: »
    We can only wish...
    Sir John Major sticks the boot in
    Iain Duncan Smith is trying to reform benefits. I truly wish him well. But it is enormously complicated and unless he is very lucky, which he may not be, or a genius, which the last time I looked was unproven, he may get some of it wrong. I hope Iain is wise enough to listen to a wide range of opinion because some of his critics will be right. If he listens only to the bean-counters and to cheerleaders concerned only with abuse of the system then he will fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And news just in - real news - he's just told the Government to slap a tax on energy companies so that it can be used to help people pay their bills.

Clearly, the original Thatcherites have had enough. Economically this lot are TOO RIGHT WING for them.

I've been saying this for years. Margaret was the most extreme PM when she was elected and yet more moderate than ANY of them since, Blair and Brown included.

It's a kind of economic fascism with the pretence of softer edges owing to the fact that they are sympathetic to minorities. The latter's good but not when it's a smokescreen.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's what you get when Lord Fraud is given Carte blanche to suggest what he wanted.
    his only Suggestion to Labour was ESA he wanted to reform DLA but Gordon Brown refused point blank to even go there hence why Fraud jumped ship to the Tories and Purnell threw a wobbler.
    John Major brought in DLA in 1992 he always was the moderate.

that's the problem with IDS he failed as a leader no wonder they called him the Quiet man when he starts speaking you just want him to shut up and go away. You cant have the massive reforms he wants in the spate of a few years and expect this mammoth department to just change decades of running. All these Reforms loads of IT problems, ATOS making a complete bloody disaster of everything they touch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will happily vote for either Attlee or Macmillan and nobody else.

I don't recognise the present.

And when the more recent of the two ceased to be PM, I was in a pram.