Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    I think it's because Rafa was on last tonight so they have him on earlier tomorrow. Ferrer's in his half so he goes on straight after. (Not 100% on that though)

Thanks Nathers - when you put it like that, it makes sense. Shame though because I would have loved the Djoko and Fed matches on later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    Tough win for Rafa last night. Janowicz was like a dog with a bone:)
  • Options
    Janine999Janine999 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm supporting Stan the man in this one. Lovely touch just there from him at the net :)
    Oh dear, an early break to Novak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Janine999 wrote: »
    I'm supporting Stan the man in this one. Lovely touch just there from him at the net :)
    Oh dear, an early break to Novak.

Needs to pull himself together for the second set. Come on Stan!
  • Options
    Janine999Janine999 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stan got owned :(
    Del Potro trying to stay with Fed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching a bit of Sofia since i haven't all week, Ivanovic on now just lost the 1st set to Vesnina
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watson retired after 4 games so Konta wins. hope it's nothing serious :(
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex. wrote: »
    Watson retired after 4 games so Konta wins. hope it's nothing serious :(

I hadn't started watching it yet but it looked like she might have injured her hip again yesterday. It's the same injury she had at the US open. What a shame to have to end the year like that.

But hopefully her run at these ITF tournaments will give her the much needed boost for next year. Although it's likely she will have to go through qualifying to get into the main draw at the AO open...
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great win for Fed - and Djoko of course!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Great win for Fed - and Djoko of course!

Yes. Vintage Fed in the first set. Only saw part of the Djoko match but - poor Stan!
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    But hopefully her run at these ITF tournaments will give her the much needed boost for next year. Although it's likely she will have to go through qualifying to get into the main draw at the AO open...

I wonder if they'd consider her for a wildcard? I'm not sure how the Australian tennis authorities work these things, but there is a case that Heather's rankings are a reflection on her health problems, not ability. Then again, she may not be considered a big enough name to justify the risk that she might have a slow start to next year too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I wonder if they'd consider her for a wildcard? I'm not sure how the Australian tennis authorities work these things, but there is a case that Heather's rankings are a reflection on her health problems, not ability. Then again, she may not be considered a big enough name to justify the risk that she might have a slow start to next year too.

There's no way Watson will get a wildcard - the Brits do not have the agreement like the other slams do in regards to handing one player of other slam nations a wildcard, and she's little known in the tennis world outside of Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

I was thinking that too. She did get to the third round of the AO this year... She won her WTa title in Japan which is kind of near Australia...:confused: I don't think it's completely out of the question she'd get a wildcard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if Watson fails to defend at the AO, how low will she go?
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janine999 wrote: »
    Stan got owned :(
    Del Potro trying to stay with Fed.
    Nole was unplayable in the first set, after he saved the BPs at 2-0 he was like a man possessed. He read the Stan serve perfectly and was swinging freely. 2011 Nole.
    RPH wrote: »
    There's no way Watson will get a wildcard - the Brits do not have the agreement like the other slams do in regards to handing one player of other slam nations a wildcard, and she's little known in the tennis world outside of Britain.
    Pretty much.

I'm glad we don't have that agreement, slam wildcards should not be a closed shop of four nations. Especially when they'd be walking byes on a grass court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if Watson fails to defend at the AO, how low will she go?

She's defending 160 points, so in the current rankings she'd drop to 170.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    She's defending 160 points, so in the current rankings she'd drop to 170.

eek :(

small Murray interview on the BBC site about his rehab and what he's been up too recently http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24762416
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting article on doubles in today's Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10421085/Bryan-brothers-anonymity-shows-tennis-is-suffering-a-doubles-fault.html

I've got to agree, that doubles is a joy to watch and deserves more recognition. It is a tricky one though, as the top players don't play much doubles, and so there is always this sense that it's a side event. Then again, it's something that works really well for exhibitions, especially as we move towards the seniors tour. It feels less adversarial, but more fun. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the wimbledon box set isn't being released any more :rolleyes: they are just releasing the final + behind the racket documentary at a higher price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wimbledon-Official-Collectors-Racquet-documentary/dp/B00GDLNDL8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1383393703&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=3-disc+2013+Wimbledon+Collector%27s+Edition+boxset

think i will pass!
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GROUP A

Nadal
    Ferrer
    Berdych
    Wawrinka

GROUP B

Djokovic
    Del Potro
    Federer
    Gasquet

Roger and JMDP will be playing against each other for the third week in a row.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the wimbledon box set isn't being released any more :rolleyes: they are just releasing the final + behind the racket documentary at a higher price http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wimbledon-Official-Collectors-Racquet-documentary/dp/B00GDLNDL8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1383393703&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=3-disc+2013+Wimbledon+Collector%27s+Edition+boxset

think i will pass!

What does the box set usually include?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    What does the box set usually include?

final + film + documentary for £19.99. now it's changed to final + documentary for £24.99
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ATP world Tour

Mon eve: Del Potro v Gasquet
    Tues eve: Djokovic v Federer
  • Options
    SarnSarn Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    lol!!!!!!!!! VAMOS RAFA :D:D:D
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, big win for David Ferrer. Perhaps Rafa's busy schedule finally caught up with him.
This discussion has been closed.