Options

Almost Human (US Pace)

simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So the pilot of this new show from the makers of Fringe aired last night across the pond with the second episode on tonight. Anyone else catch it?

I think it shows a lot of promise - I really enjoyed the first outing. Some rather Blade Runner-esque settings and themes - will be interesting to see where it goes.

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hadn't realised this was out so soon, thought it was going to be a mid season show.

Will give it a go but I seem to have way more US shows to watch this year then previous years.

I'm already struggling to get them all watched before the next weeks episode appears :D
  • Options
    GeeEmGeeEm Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    simon69c wrote: »
    So the pilot of this new show from the makers of Fringe aired last night across the pond with the second episode on tonight. Anyone else catch it?

I think it shows a lot of promise - I really enjoyed the first outing. Some rather Blade Runner-esque settings and themes - will be interesting to see where it goes.

Is it available on hulu yet?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. At least enough to give it a few more episodes watch

I was in two minds if it was even worth a watch to start with, so much clichéd ground being covered. Robocop; alien nation; blade runner (as mentioned) and every cop buddy show ever made but it fell into the more entertaining than annoying bucket.
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    I was in two minds if it was even worth a watch to start with, so much clichéd ground being covered. Robocop; alien nation; blade runner (as mentioned) and every cop buddy show ever made but it fell into the more entertaining than annoying bucket.

I was thinking the same thing, but it came across well, so I'll be giving it some more viewing time.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeeEm wrote: »
    Is it available on hulu yet?

Yes it's on there :)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was very good, especially like the DNR.

Just hope they get over the 'He's a sympathetic' relationship sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I'm watching this right now, about half way through. I think it's got a lot of potential, and with Karl Urban as the lead cast, I can see it going strong.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Didn't like it. Just too many over-familiar elements.
  • Options
    GeeEmGeeEm Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Didn't like it. Just too many over-familiar elements.

Reminded me of Total Recall 2070, but will give it a go.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh what channel was it on? I missed it and want to find a repeat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Oh what channel was it on? I missed it and want to find a repeat

It was Fox in the US. This is a US pace thread.

I doubt there'll be any repeats, but it's up on Hulu for anyone with an American IP address...
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    Mac and C.H.E.E.S.E. was a short lived TV show that Joey starred in. It was about a detective and his robot partner.

http://friends.wikia.com/wiki/Mac_and_C.H.E.E.S.E.

:D:o
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was okay. Not very sci-fi though. I wouldn't be surprised to learn the DRN is a cyborg or actually has a human consciouness in a robotic body.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not bad.

Looks likes they spent a lot of money on it.
    It's a bit improbable that during the kidnapping the bad guys stopped everything to tell the detective exactly what their evil plans was :rolleyes:

I'm going to give the series ago :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this. Think they got the piilot balance spot on. Good pair of leads with interesting character traits / similarities etc. The Cop Captain woman despite having a reduced role will potentially develop into an interesting character too, and the Brit Robot doctor guy will no doubt become another major character.

Story wise I thought it was good too. Defintely going to keep watching this. Seems the net is really wanting this series to work having scheduled a double premiere night - episode 2 airs tonight!
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    simon69c wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first outing. Some rather Blade Runner-esque settings and themes - will be interesting to see where it goes.

Indeed. This was a very promising start. I watched, expecting not much, and got quite a lot. High production values, pretty good script and some interesting characters/ situations.

As you say, it's very Bladerunner in some ways, but that is no bad thing if it's done right. There's also quite a comparison to RoboCop, but again in a good way. I see episode two is already around.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well just watched the second episode and it felt much stronger. The Bladerunner influence seemed stronger yet, and the subject matter much darker. I think this has real potential.

I'm still struggling a bit with Michael Ealy playing the robot version of the character he did in Common Law, it almost feels like a Demolition man plot where the LAPD put him on ice when that show was cancelled
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the audio description was meant to be part of the story :o
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the second episode too and thought it carried on well. I did love those four words...
    You scanned my balls?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 2 crashed in the ratings... from a 3.1 in the demo all the way down to a 2.2.
    Next week it faces The Voice Live... So... Don't get too attached to this
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    People are comparing it to "Blade runner" with its strong ties on machine emotions & individuality, i must agree.
    But Karl Urbans dislike for robots & artificial leg, then excepting partner was a nod to "I Robot"
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First Ep was ok but I can't help thinking that if Karl Urban is doing a future Cop show it should be a TV version of Judge Dredd :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Am just watching wepisode 2. Have I acquired a dodgy copy of episode 2 or is the audio descriptiuon part of the story. Asking cos 9 minutes in Im finding it really effing annoying!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Am just watching wepisode 2. Have I acquired a dodgy copy of episode 2 or is the audio descriptiuon part of the story. Asking cos 9 minutes in Im finding it really effing annoying!!!!!!!!!

Yep you need the proper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed the first couple of episodes, it's pretty formulaic but entertaining nevertheless. I thought the production values were pretty high, especially in the 2nd episode when I expected a dropoff from the pilot.

Will keep watching for now, assuming it doesn't get cancelled...