Options

Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I think the title track Salute would make a great next single. It's so catchy and punchy. 'Atten-tion!!'

I cant see the US lead being anythihng else but that. Especially if paired with a great video. Wrecking Ball wouldnt have generated half the conversation it has without its video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to be well known enough now.
    Simon Cowell, the Scots jeweller, and a new range called Little Mix...
    Wednesday 27 November 2013

A jewellery company has lost a legal battle with media mogul Simon Cowell after trying to launch a range of charms called Little Mix.

Cowell's company Syco called in lawyers after SGI Jewellery, based in Greengairs, near Airdrie, launched the product with the same name as the girl group.

Sharon Gallacher, 43, the owner of SGI, had claimed the charms were not related to group, which won The X Factor in 2011.

The dispute began when Mrs Gallacher, who runs the business from her home, applied to register the name for a new range of jewellery.

Cowell's label, which represents the band, launched a legal action to oppose the trademark application. It accused SGI of trying to cash in on the fame of the band and claimed SGI had decided to launch the range only after the band appeared on the ITV talent show.

The UK Intellectual Property Office, which rules on trademark disputes, has now found in Cowell's favour and told SGI it cannot use the name to market its products. SGI also been ordered to pay Cowell's company £2200 in legal fees.

Mrs Gallacher, 43, said: "I gave evidence for an hour and a half and thought I had done enough. The name was chosen for a new charm collection because they are both 'little' and a mixture of different things, nothing more."

However, trademark hearing officer Mark Bryant said:"The evidence points to the applicant filing the application with the sole purpose of benefitting from the success of the band."

No one from Syco was available for comment.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/firm-loses-legal-fight-with-cowell-over-jewellery-name.22792909

The circle of life is complete. First they had to change their name because of an infringement, and now they can bring legal action for someone else using their name.
  • Options
    sniffingchocakesniffingchocake Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Apparently move was danced to on dancing with the stars last night?
    Get that promo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see the US lead being anythihng else but that. Especially if paired with a great video. Wrecking Ball wouldnt have generated half the conversation it has without its video.

I'm just wary that (hopefully) they will be looking to do plenty of radio appearances, plus any tv time they can get. That airtime really has to be used to impress if they are to stand out from the rafts of other wannabe groups and singers clawing for attention. Is Salute sang live in a tv studio/accapella on a radio show going to sound that amazing? Wrecking Ball the video aside is still a great song to hear sung, look at how many people have covered it. All I ever see people talk about is how Salute needs a great video/stage show to work, which worries me. Song first, everything else second.

Not for me.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently move was danced to on dancing with the stars last night?
    Get that promo

Yes it was, the final at that, the pro dancers danced to it.
  • Options
    old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was, the final at that, the pro dancers danced to it.

Do you have a link to it??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    Do you have a link to it??

Don't know how long this link will last, but its 27:30 in...

http://vidbull.com/ax4x5cq3mtm0.html

The song was edited down to 90 seconds. Still, better than nothing. Wonder if this is a sign of Move being released over there? That show certainly seems to work with the record labels when it comes to music choices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/firm-loses-legal-fight-with-cowell-over-jewellery-name.22792909

The circle of life is complete. First they had to change their name because of an infringement, and now they can bring legal action for someone else using their name.

Its a shame that they got rid of their personal logos. Because they could have made charm bracelets with the logos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    Is Salute sang live in a tv studio/accapella on a radio show going to sound that amazing? Wrecking Ball the video aside is still a great song to hear sung, look at how many people have covered it. All I ever see people talk about is how Salute needs a great video/stage show to work, which worries me. Song first, everything else second.

Not for me.

But the same thing happened with Move. People complained about the minimal staging in Australia and until the video came out with its imagery, the song didnt take off like it has been. People have been singing in cramped tv studios for a while now.

Videos are marketing tools. They are supposed to make you want to increase reps of the songs by luring in with the visual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/updatesingles/print

Move #13 in midweeks. Its getting bumped down by the flood of 1D songs tho and not really sinking on its own.

Whoa.
    The boy band's third album by the end of business on Tuesday had already outsold the entire first-week sales of their Syco debut Up All Night and should easily surpass the opening tally of second album Take Me Home, according to Official Charts Company statistics. Midnight Memories is up to 144,887 in the week so far, compared to Up All Night shifting 138,631 copies in its initial week in 2011 and Take Me Home managing 155,316 sales a year ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nooneoo wrote: »
    Little Mix’s tiny yet mighty member, Jade Thirlwall, is a busy woman.

The half-Arab singer.....

Q. One of the special things about Little Mix is that you all come from different backgrounds. How do you feel that impacts your reach?

It’s incredible, really. You couldn’t have put four more different girls together, but it works amazingly. Obviously, Leigh-Anne [Pinnock] is half-Bajan, half-Jamaican. I’m quarter-Egyptian, quarter-Yemeni. I just think it obviously reaches out to a lot more people; people who might not usually listen to our music might listen to it because they’ve got at least one person to look up to in the group. Anyone can look at us and relate to us, and that’s the amazing thing about Little Mix.

Q. You’ve got a lot of Middle Eastern mixers (the name given to their fans); do you ever think you’ll make your way to the region, and maybe to Dubai?

I would absolutely love to. I’ve always wanted to, anyway, because obviously it’s my background, being Middle Eastern. I would absolutely love to come over and just see what it’s like over there, see what the fans are like. We obviously see the massive interest on Twitter and Facebook and whatever, like, [but] you never know until you actually get there. It’s our goal, really, to go on a world tour and go to as many places as possible, and the Middle East is right up there.

I've been so curious about their exotic looks, now I know.
    Q. You got to work closely with Kelly Rowland on the X Factor, and she’s said that she’d love to get into the studio and write with you – do you ever still pinch yourself, or have things like that become normal?

No, nothing is ever normal! We can’t even see that we’re hot stars, like, it’s really weird. We just got thrown into it [and] we haven’t had any time to really adjust to it. Kelly Rowland was so supportive of us on the show. Even though she wasn’t our mentor, the show would finish and she’d come to our dressing room and talk to us and give us advice, and the fact that she wants to write with us is just absolutely mental ...

Wasnt there some rumor at the time that Tulisa was annoyed with that?
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    salute is at 11
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davem1234 wrote: »
    salute is at 11

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/updatealbums/print

JA hanging in at #18 despite the controversy.

Gaga at #24!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chem wrote: »
    Its a shame that they got rid of their personal logos. Because they could have made charm bracelets with the logos.

It really is quite interesting how the old branding and whole 'Little Mix look' has been pretty much kicked to be kerb. Jade even looks to have binned off the whole bow tie thing. Looks to me like the four of them have really had something to say in regard to their image.
    But the same thing happened with Move. People complained about the minimal staging in Australia and until the video came out with its imagery, the song didnt take off like it has been. People have been singing in cramped tv studios for a while now.

You are right. But, take the video away and would you still be happy about it being the lead single? When in America, the aim of the game is to introduce themselves to new audiences to considerably widen their fanbase. The TV/radio performances will be the first impression most people will get of them. Salute just isn't going to offer up strong enough performances and I don't think the song will be taken that seriously on the whole, to be frank, given who they are (or aren't at the moment in the US).

My opinion though is skewed by the fact I just don't think much of the song, I always start the album at track 2 :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I cant answer the lead single question because I haven't heard the album in full to avoid last release frustration. I'm perfectly happy with Salute just because it does immediately conjure up visuals and that's the high majority of comments I've read too. That's why I think that as a single with a video would rocket it.

Whereas Little Me I've listened to about one and a half times.
  • Options
    ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #11 is very good for 'Salute', considering how the likes of Gaga and (surprisingly) Jake Bugg have held up. I imagine 'Move' will rise to #11 or #12, since the 1D album tracks are bound to fall if iTunes is any indication.
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    ahead of JLS too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine 'Move' will rise to #11 or #12, since the 1D album tracks are bound to fall if iTunes is any indication.

Already fallen to #29 and #44 on iTunes.
  • Options
    RayforeverRayforever Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Little me has been added to radio 1 C playlist from 2nd
    https://twitter.com/BBCR1/status/405750931180224513/photo/1/large
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The support from Radio 1 really is fantastic. They owe everyone on that playlist panel a good few drinks.
  • Options
    BodyElectric.BodyElectric. Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    It really is quite interesting how the old branding and whole 'Little Mix look' has been pretty much kicked to be kerb. Jade even looks to have binned off the whole bow tie thing. Looks to me like the four of them have really had something to say in regard to their image.

You are right. But, take the video away and would you still be happy about it being the lead single? When in America, the aim of the game is to introduce themselves to new audiences to considerably widen their fanbase. The TV/radio performances will be the first impression most people will get of them. Salute just isn't going to offer up strong enough performances and I don't think the song will be taken that seriously on the whole, to be frank, given who they are (or aren't at the moment in the US).

My opinion though is skewed by the fact I just don't think much of the song, I always start the album at track 2 :o

Have you ever heard of a song called Independent Women by Destiny's Child?

That song was a monster hit in the US. I don't why you seem to have so many insecurities about it bring a single. It's a monster track.

The visuals (if perfected) could be amazing. Great song to perform live too.
  • Options
    aldualdu Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever heard of a song called Independent Women by Destiny's Child?

That song was a monster hit in the US. I don't why you seem to have so many insecurities about it bring a single. It's a monster track.

The visuals (if perfected) could be amazing. Great song to perform live too.

Move visuals are quite similar to the DC vid u mentioned as well as TLC's Scrubs...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jewellery? I would have thought it a more appropriate name for dog or cat food or a small sweet mixture.
  • Options
    wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Jewellery? I would have thought it a more appropriate name for dog or cat food or a small sweet mixture.
    Even kelly rowland said she thought the name sounds like catfood. I do not understand how they haven't brought out a pick a mix range since most interviewers buy them pick a mix and the people who dislike them even call them that. It seems one of the most obvious choice for merchandise.
This discussion has been closed.