Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The base for the helicopter is nearby.

:( Oh.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kws wrote: »
    I do wonder about the benefits versus risks of flying police helicopters over cities all the time. Have they stopped anything worse than the crashes they've been involved in? It's the same with police car chases. It really needs to be looked at.

Yeah lets let the criminals get away, and not bother using the infrared cameras to track them down. If you don't mind the burglary in progress, robbery and other serious crimes all going up? you don't mind not catching criminals? You want us to live in a society blighted by crime just because of a rare freak accident?

I really can't stand knee jerk comments from the general public, when the next week they are shouting about why the police can't catch people, they can't win with the arm chair critics.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I find it quite depressing that the PM 'tweets' about this.

It's all so impersonal, un needed and almost like a race to say something (whilst saying nothing)

I wish he would just keep his insincere clap shut. As if he gives a flying ****.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Thanks. The helicopter dropped like a stone out of the sky according to Jim Murphy MP, who witnessed it from a car park.

Sorry I got this report wrong. It was Gordon Smart from the Scottish Sun who was in the car park, not Jim Murphy. Jim Murphy was in the area of the crash and helped at the scene.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I wish he would just keep his insincere clap shut. As if he gives a flying ****.

We all know its his PR team but he sets a precedent. He does it then Miliband and Clegg do it and it becomes a massive rush to grieve, speculate etc etc.

Twitter is excellent for local on scene reports and its dynamic but the conflicting reports we've seen tonight from various twitter users shows how dangerous it can be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to get offended.

Sainsburys post a Happy St Andrews Day - How Will You Celebrate? facebook post and over a 100 people leave negative comments referencing the helicopter crash. Sainsburys apologise and remove the post....madness
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Alex Salmond ‏@AlexSalmond 2m
    I can confirm that it is a police helicopter which has been involved in the tragic accident in Glasgow. #Clutha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all know its his PR team but he sets a precedent. He does it then Miliband and Clegg do it and it becomes a massive rush to grieve, speculate etc etc.

All the usual suspects sticking their oar in. Can't let a good PR opportunity go to waste.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Very sad. The Clutha was just over the river from my college, it was a regular haunt of mine as a student. Nice old fashioned spit and sawdust pub with good live music. My thoughts are with everyone involved.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cue same footage on endless loop, talking to experts who don't know the details and a few witnesses who could sum up what they saw in about thirty seconds. Meanwhile all the press previews get cancelled.

Why don't they just have a news flash and wait until they have enough facts, then broadcast it on the hourly bulletin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to get offended.

Sainsburys post a Happy St Andrews Day - How Will You Celebrate? facebook post and over a 100 people leave negative comments referencing the helicopter crash. Sainsburys apologise and remove the post....madness

Perhaps they were at work at the time and hadn't heard the news, to be fair?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they were at work at the time and hadn't heard the news, to be fair?

I was more irritated by the people getting offended for the sake of it.

It's still St Andrews Day today and I'm sure Sainsburys meant no disrespect to anyone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was more irritated by the people getting offended for the sake of it.

It's still St Andrews Day today and I'm sure Sainsburys meant no disrespect to anyone

Oh I see. Beg pardon.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cue same footage on endless loop, talking to experts who don't know the details and a few witnesses who could sum up what they saw in about thirty seconds. Meanwhile all the press previews get cancelled.

Why don't they just have a news flash and wait until they have enough facts, then broadcast it on the hourly bulletin?

It's a fast developing story and they all want to be first.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time to get offended.

Yep. It's my wee girl's 2nd birthday in the morning..perhaps I should cancel? Someone I know was in that pub earlier..she leftan hour or.so before it happened
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Time to get offended.

i think that reveals a lot about their strange way of thinking (the people complaining) :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real Radio News SCOT ‏@RealScotNews 2m
    A man who was in the Clutha Vaults when helicopter crashed tells us 2 of his friends are in hospital and 1 is unaccounted for. He was at bar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One witness implying that helicopter landed on roof, then the roof started to come down slowly. Although she says she was round the corner from the impact, listening to the band when it happened.

Somebody posted earlier in this thread that there was a pic of it sitting on the roof and then the next it had gone through it. That might suggest a reasonable crash landing before the roof gave way. That would hopefully be less catastrophic than walloping into the building.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good grief. Just caught this news :eek:

Looks awful :cry:
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Alex Salmond ‏@AlexSalmond 2m
    I can confirm that it is a police helicopter which has been involved in the tragic accident in Glasgow. #Clutha

That's the first Police helicopter accident in the UK for a very long time.
    When they go wrong,they take no prisoners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    i think that reveals a lot about their strange way of thinking (the people complaining) :eek:

Indeed. Faux outrage

You may as well sit on twitter as opposed to watching the news this morning
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mirror reporting that the crew of 3 on the helicopter have all died. Tragedy.:(
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine it's mechanical as unless the gauge's were faulty then if they were getting low on fuel they could have landed elsewhere, no way they would be able to take a risk like getting back to the helipad on such a low tank.

Glasgow and the surrounding areas has countless parks and open spaces where it could have landed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    That's the first Police helicopter accident in the UK for a very long time.
    When they go wrong,they take no prisoners.

2010. A PSNI chopper crashed on take off. No fatalities

Sadly, helicopter crashes themselves don't seem to be so rare.