Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaga's ARTPOP got certificated Gold. I was confused because Salute has been outselling it, but then I remembered the first week sales. Surely Salute can't be that far off.

She's #32 this week. I would think that Salute is close to surpassing Artpop's sales. It should overtake them in the next week or two.
  • Regina_PhalangeRegina_Phalange Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=
    Albums are trickier since you can purchase digitally and physically. In the US at least physical sales are still the majority.[/QUOTE]

I know. I am just saying, apart from the first week, Salute has been outselling ARTPOP. We can see that from the chart placing.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know. I am just saying, apart from the first week, Salute has been outselling ARTPOP. We can see that from the chart placing.

I completely misunderstood you since my mind was in the US market!

Anyway peoples, just keep tabs on your own at BPI's database. Enter Little Mix and Artist as search terms.

http://www.bpi.co.uk/certified-awards.aspx

(Of course they didnt update the database. Sheesh)

Here:

The BPI ‏@TheBPI 9h
    Lots to celebrate for @LittleMixOffic & the #Mixers, 'Move' gained certification on Friday, now the ‘Salute’ album has gone Gold #BPIawards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure what the point of your post is in relation to Wings. The only way to purchase that song is thru a digital download or as a digital album track.

Albums are trickier since you can purchase digitally and physically. In the US at least physical sales are still the majority.

Precisely my point. Did those buying records prior to the last 10 odd years have the opportunity to do this and buy LP tracks as if they were singles? They didn't. Wings made No 77? in the US Chart to get a Gold Award - back in the 70s and 80s you would likely have had to get to at least the US Top 20 to get one. It just seem that the award of a Gold Disk has rather cheapened somewhat. I mean Cher Lloyd single sold 2 million copies (double platinum)and scraped the Top 10 - it seems to me that the award seems easier to obtain than it used to be if you look at the sales of records back to the 90s and further back than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Precisely my point. Did those buying records prior to the last 10 odd years have the opportunity to do this and buy LP tracks as if they were singles? They didn't. Wings made No 77? in the US Chart to get a Gold Award - back in the 70s and 80s you would likely have had to get to at least the US Top 20 to get one. It just seem that the award of a Gold Disk has rather cheapened somewhat. I mean Cher Lloyd single sold 2 million copies (double platinum)and scraped the Top 10 - it seems to me that the award seems easier to obtain than it used to be if you look at the sales of records back to the 90s and further back than that.

There's no doubt singles sales have increased nowadays. However, it can be argued that especially in terms of albums, certifications are much harder to obtain due to the many platforms that you can use to listen to music, e.g. YouTube, Spotify etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely my point. Did those buying records prior to the last 10 odd years have the opportunity to do this and buy LP tracks as if they were singles? They didn't.

Hmm. I have 45 vinyls, single CDS and tape cassettes laying around gathering dust.

BTW I think people are mistaking the Hot 100 chart for a sales chart. It isnt. Its a popularity chart which gives weighted points for sales, radio play and social media occurrence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    There's no doubt singles sales have increased nowadays. However, it can be argued that especially in terms of albums, certifications are much harder to obtain due to the many platforms that you can use to listen to music, e.g. YouTube, Spotify etc.

But if you can earn a Gold Disc and only get to No77 in the singles chart - then it would suggest that every record above that position in the chart could get one. After all, Wings didn't hang about long and was in the 80s 90s positions in the chart for a great deal of the time. So then hard is it to get a Gold Disc certification? easy by the looks of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you can earn a Gold Disc and only get to No77 in the singles chart - then it would suggest that every record above that position in the chart could get one. After all, Wings didn't hang about long and was in the 80s 90s positions in the chart for a great deal of the time. So then hard is it to get a Gold Disc certification? easy by the looks of it.

I think you need to look at the bigger picture. It is very difficult for girl groups to break out in the US. Look at Fifth Harmony who came third on XFUSA. They have had huge backing from Simon and have had bigger promotion slots than Little Mix got, but have been less successful than Little Mix and this is Fifth Harmony's home country. The US Salute era will be make or break for the girls in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. I have 45 vinyls, single CDS and tape cassettes laying around gathering dust.

BTW I think people are mistaking the Hot 100 chart for a sales chart. It isnt. Its a popularity chart which gives weighted points for sales, radio play and social media occurrence.

Almost makes classifications pointless IMO. Perhaps they should add these weightings into the overall classification, maybe?

It also makes comparison with older chart hits (hence my point to the posting I commented on) completely pointless.

Same too - I have about 250 Cassette LPs, 200 Vinyl LPs, 150 12 inch singles and about 100 CDs lying around as well. Vinyl is making a comeback apparently - you can't replace the 'atmosphere' on a vinyl record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB92 wrote: »
    I think you need to look at the bigger picture. It is very difficult for girl groups to break out in the US. Look at Fifth Harmony who came third on XFUSA. They have had huge backing from Simon and have had bigger promotion slots than Little Mix got, but have been less successful than Little Mix and this is Fifth Harmony's home country. The US Salute era will be make or break for the girls in the US.

Certain artists are sometimes more popular elsewhere than with their home audience - Kelly Rowland for example.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You asked if people could buy tracks individually, hence the LPs, CDs and what not answer I gave for singles. Those often had B sides.

In the US there are individual sales charts for physicals and digital.

We could also answer that "back in the day" there were 100 million less people in the US.
  • Holte139Holte139 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Plus isnt there that recurring favorite Xmas songs or something on MTV that a certain someone was going to do a write up on (cough cough)?

It's on the way CV, I promise you! I've had a few job interviews over the past 2 weeks so not been able to get it done yet but it's coming! :)

I'm disappointed I couldn't get tickets for the Birmingham date now I'm seeing all the joy it's giving everyone, might need to start praying for some extra dates!
  • kieranyeah123kieranyeah123 Posts: 1,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DNA (album) has sold over 700,000 worldwide. That's good right?
  • TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents are AWFUL at hiding secrets!

I got two tickets for the Salute Tour at London O2. Sunday 25th May. :D

Ahh I'm so happy right now. :D:p

I'll pretend to be surprised on Christmas Day when my parents had them to me! :p

I hope they are actually for you and not some other family member! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's far from being in the big leagues given that it's been out for a while now, Jessie J had sold 2.5 million copies of her album after a year. However, for an album from a girl group with a very pop & tween orientated image & sound I think it's a very good figure.

If they have aspirations of being in the big leagues and selling millions of units, it's going to take a sustained campaign of solid mature sounding singles, don't think there is that much more they can do with the tween market. This is why I get frustrated with the Little Me single choice and all this 'MIxers challenges' nonsense dominating their Twitter, but alas. In fairness to Little Me, there isn't a great difference between that and the 'Who You Are' and 'Nobodys Perfect' singles released by Jessie J, difference is they were after she was well established and shifted tons of albums on the back of Do It Like A Dude & Price Tag.

Yea yea i know, I should probably change the record but >:(
  • old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^
    Agree with your whole post, but especially --
    If they have aspirations of being in the big leagues and selling millions of units, it's going to take a sustained campaign of solid mature sounding singles, don't think there is that much more they can do with the tween market. This is why I get frustrated with the Little Me single choice

BIB - My sentiments exactly... but will they go there any time soon?? If Jesy's apparent vexed looks are related, perhaps she is champing at the bit - so to speak?? I hope so...

Some of their recent comments give me cause to think some of them may be "afraid" of losing their existing fanbase..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good. :cool: No black curtains for these girls.

Are those upper tier seats any good?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! My dad was trying to get me lower seats on Friday/Saturday but couldn't get any. But he said that he'll go into 02 this week as we live 10 mins away but I don't want upper tier. Oh well ...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »

Some of their recent comments give me cause to think some of them may be "afraid" of losing their existing fanbase..

Better to risk losing a handful of youngsters if it means you can gain a load more mature listeners in my opinion. It's the opinion of the latter that ultimately determines how 'cool' your considered, how many records you shift and how many arenas you sell out, unless you are a group of male heartthrobs (1D). The Spice Girls were a one off, a novelty at the time, these days a girl group has to be genuinely good. LM are genuinely good and better than the tween market.

Sometimes you have to be ruthless in business (which music is), just look at Miley Cyrus, most of her younger fans have hardly abandoned her and she was drastic. I genuinely think the impact of 'Move' has impacted how well the tour seems to be selling at the moment, will be interesting to see how many older fans are seen at the gigs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim_A wrote: »
    Better to risk losing a handful of youngsters if it means you can gain a load more mature listeners in my opinion.

will be interesting to see how many older fans are seen at the gigs.

It depends. They need to worry about losing their paying listeners. Exchanging a young listener who can get their parents to pay for an album, tour tickets and merchandise is not equitable to engaging an older listener who may buy an album but wont attend the tour or buy collateral. And lets face it, there are young adult listeners in university who are poor students and will illegally download and cant afford the tour (or cant schedule) but who would fit in the new older demographic.

Susan Boyle did really well initially because she resonated with a demographic that would not illegally download and would pay for albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    Stolen from ATRL

Upcoming tv promo:
    Paul O'Grady show - Dec 11
    Sunday Brunch - Dec 15
    Alan Carr: Chatty Man (Christmas special) - Dec 25
    TOTP New Years Eve special - Dec 31

Plus isnt there that recurring favorite Xmas songs or something on MTV that a certain someone was going to do a write up on (cough cough)?

That Xmas program is consist of 90% of Xmas songs, 4% of a repeated replay of them describing the programme which is played before and after each ad break, and 6% of them answering fan questions.
  • TheKnewbiesTheKnewbies Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It deserves a yes or no answer but I can't help myself......

DNA is in the x factor past and out of Little mix's mind.
    The bow ties and bubble gum have been relegated to the bin and sent to the scrap heap. The content explored musical direction and the sales, good or bad, are a reflection of, and limited by, that era.

forward.......
    Salute is the future and their new image is the future. They are trying to break the barrier to reach a much broader audience. ( their name still bugs me though ) A case in point is the lack of a VT intro on the xfus and this latest Jingle bell ball performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI5ro1fNbzs

Although the track is mindful of keeping their grass roots fanbase on board in terms of content, the delivery and visual image is more mature and confident. Any age group would feel comfortable going to see that.

future sales...
    The music is important of course to buyers and Salute is a great album but many an album has been bought ( or not ) based on an artists image, public perception and acceptability of association.
    Not a problem for anyone under 17 in Little mix's army but a real barrier to the rest of the market.

With all of the above in mind, it looks like a well thought out and planned strategy.
    There are millions of potental new fans out there who haven't yet heard of Little mix or their music so the more audio and visual exposure they get now the more their fan base will broaden which will translate into sales. Platinum albums and sell out world tours are hopefully around the corner.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we only gave yes or no answers we wouldnt have an 8 part thread going. ;-)

I'm not sure how the lack of the intro at XF US helped their new image though. I thought it hurt a little not to tout the 3 million sales WW and the Platinum album.

Incidentally their US performance now has 554,210 views so despite the show's low ratings, it certainly hasnt hurt Little Mix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    Edit:- now the Mirror is at it! -
    See Little Mix attempt daring dominatrix look for Jingle Bell Ball red carpet

Hee hee how quickly people forget. I always thought this outfit on their second appearance in 2012 looked a lot more rocker/S&M for Perrie. I was actually a little surprised at the time since it was such a departure from their XF styling. (I actually miss Leigh-Anne's cheeky street look here, it had charm)

http://oi43.tinypic.com/4q26na.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2088744/Little-Mixs-Jesy-Nelson-shows-new-bigger-curlier-hairdo.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Me iTunes #72. Hopefully it will get a boost into the top 40 following POG tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends. They need to worry about losing their paying listeners. Exchanging a young listener who can get their parents to pay for an album, tour tickets and merchandise is not equitable to engaging an older listener who may buy an album but wont attend the tour or buy collateral. And lets face it, there are young adult listeners in university who are poor students and will illegally download and cant afford the tour (or cant schedule) but who would fit in the new older demographic.

Thing is though, I don't think they would lose many of their younger fans at all. LM are hardly going to go down the Miley Cyrus route or become 'urban' overnight. Ultimately what I think the younger fans like the most about LM is the girls themselves, they are down to earth, fun and relatable. For me, that can all be maintained whilst concentrating on a more mature direction musically and broadening their appeal. The Salute album is well balanced.

I just think about things like people in the US recently looking them up on the back of the X Factor performance of 'Move', a sassy mature song with broad appeal. What are these people finding? A twitter feed full of youngsters posing with their Little Mix collages and the CYL video on YouTube. All inhibitive imo.
This discussion has been closed.