Options

Strong smell of weed in the attic

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anybody had experienced anything similar to this. I'm living in an attic room at the moment, and I've been getting a very strong smell of weed for the past few weeks (so much so that other housemates have been starting to pass comment!)

The thing is, I don't smoke it (and definitely not in the house) and neither do my two housemates, and unless my neighbour is using it for 24 hours of the day, it can't be residual smell from next door.

I've put up with it for the past fortnight or so but it's starting to get quite irritating (especially first thing in the morning, when it's like waking up to the smell of stale lager breath)

Just wanted to check there's nothing else that creates a similar smell, and if so, what is it? I've checked all around the room and found absolutely nothing that could feesibly be causing it.

Thanks (and sorry for the essay!)

Comments

• Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe your neighbour is growing it in his attic.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly being grown in the next door attic?

Find out then buy some, or blackmail them :D
  • Options
    Rugby manRugby man Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just a hippie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you considered your neighbour may be growing it in their attic space?

EDIT: Sorry. Other posters beat me to it.
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anybody had experienced anything similar to this. I'm living in an attic room at the moment, and I've been getting a very strong smell of weed for the past few weeks (so much so that other housemates have been starting to pass comment!)

The thing is, I don't smoke it (and definitely not in the house) and neither do my two housemates, and unless my neighbour is using it for 24 hours of the day, it can't be residual smell from next door.

I've put up with it for the past fortnight or so but it's starting to get quite irritating (especially first thing in the morning, when it's like waking up to the smell of stale lager breath)

Just wanted to check there's nothing else that creates a similar smell, and if so, what is it? I've checked all around the room and found absolutely nothing that could feesibly be causing it.

Thanks (and sorry for the essay!)

I'm not sure if this will help, but my grandad is having a rough time at the moment and is on alot of pills and ointments, creams etc. I walked in a few weeks ago to the overwhelming smell of skunk.
    I still smell it from time to time when i go there. I have no idea what it is (i didn't want the awkwardness of telling them i can smell cannabis in their house so i never asked :blush:) but its obviously not drugs.
    I'm assuming its some kind of ointment, do you know whats in the loft? Are there any unopened boxes or anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Possibly being grown in the next door attic?

Find out then buy some, or blackmail them :D

My housemate seems to think this.

I feel a bit silly complaining but it's been getting worse and worse (and I don't even mind the smell that much, but not all day, everyday) for the past two weeks.

I might have to hit them with a passive agressive note!

My main motivation for asking here is that someone told be bat sh*t had an aroma quite similar to weed, and I've an irrational fear that I'll one day wake up with one my face, so I was making sure that was ruled out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if this will help, but my grandad is having a rough time at the moment and is on alot of pills and ointments, creams etc. I walked in a few weeks ago to the overwhelming smell of skunk.
    I still smell it from time to time when i go there. I have no idea what it is (i didn't want the awkwardness of telling them i can smell cannabis in their house so i never asked :blush:) but its obviously not drugs.
    I'm assuming its some kind of ointment, do you know whats in the loft? Are there any unopened boxes or anything?

Well my bedroom is in the attic and I've been here for two years now, and this is the first time I've ever smelled anything like this before. As I say, not a particularly unpleasant smell but ones that getting quite pervasive (having to use a lot of air freshener to cover it up!)
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my bedroom is in the attic and I've been here for two years now, and this is the first time I've ever smelled anything like this before. As I say, not a particularly unpleasant smell but ones that getting quite pervasive (having to use a lot of air freshener to cover it up!)

Ah i see,
    well then my vote goes to the cannibis-farmer-next-door :D
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously though, maybe just have a quiet word with the neighbor, explain what you can smell but do it in a none accusatory manner and just suggest that they check it out themselves. If they are growing weed, then chances are they'll not want anyone to know or to aggravate things (well I wouldn't anyway), and then maybe it will go away after that. If not after a week or two, then ponder the next move I guess. Hopefully it won't get that far.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you rent? If so I would speak to the landlord and ask him to check it out and let him report the neighbours if he thinks they are growing stuff they shouldn't be.
    If you ask them, are they likely to admit it? It could cause problems between you, that's why I would hid behind the landlord.......if you have one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seriously though, maybe just have a quiet word with the neighbor, explain what you can smell but do it in a none accusatory manner and just suggest that they check it out themselves. If they are growing weed, then chances are they'll not want anyone to know or to aggravate things (well I wouldn't anyway), and then maybe it will go away after that. If not after a week or two, then ponder the next move I guess. Hopefully it won't get that far.

Thanks.

I'm going home for Christmas in a few days and won't be back here until mid-January, so I'm planning on sitting on it until then and having a word if it's as bad when I'm back. I don't mind them smoking it or whatever, but I don't really want to be smelling it constantly!

My main concern was that it was bats and that I'd have to get them seen too (whole different matter given our bats protected status), so I'm at least able to deal with a temporary cannabis farm head on!

Cheers for the advice, everyone :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Do you rent? If so I would speak to the landlord and ask him to check it out and let him report the neighbours if he thinks they are growing stuff they shouldn't be.
    If you ask them, are they likely to admit it? It could cause problems between you, that's why I would hid behind the landlord.......if you have one

In all honesty we never, ever speak to them.

Luckily, their house has a "To Rent" sign attached to the house, so I might give their letting agents a call if it continues.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Luckily, their house has a "To Rent" sign attached to the house, so I might give their letting agents a call if it continues.

Perfect excuse to get a mate to go around as a potential viewer and see what he thinks, he can ask to bob his head in the loft too.

Mind you, from the sounds of it he could come out off his head;-)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

You might care to give consideration to doing such things anonymously (e.g. retribution especially if it's commercial growing and not just for personal use) and say that they ought to do an unannounced inspection to include all rooms including the attic and basement (assuming that there is one) and that if this is not done then the matter will be reported to the police and newspapers thus giving the agency a bad reputation which will easily be picked up online. If it were me, I'd even suggest that two members of staff go together and have mobiles with them to call for assistance if necessary.

Good luck in dealing with this one.

Link: https://crimestoppers-uk.org/
  • Options
    Sally7Sally7 Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had bats when we lived in a rural cottage in Scotland, they were in the roofspace above our attic bedroom. If you have bats you would hear them at night, a quiet but persistent squeaking and scrabbling. They do create a slightly musty, organic kind of smell and it would be strongest in the summer months. I can see vaguely see where people are coming from if they say bat droppings smell like weed, but it's not that similar, and it wouldn't be that strong in your bedroom, more a general mustiness.

Have you got a hatch that goes into the roofspace you can stick your head up through and look with a torch? If there are bats the smell will be much stronger up there and you will see bat droppings on the beams.

However they are very selective in where they roost and I think it's unlikely to be bats if you are living somewhere busy/noisy/urban. Weed has a distinctive smell and if you know what it smells like, and think you are smelling it....then you probably are!
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    If you do think your neighbour is growing cannabis in the attic, and you're not overly concerned about them doing this...

Just remember that if the shoddy electrics (as they usually are) end up going up in flames, the ensuing, fast spreading fire does not discriminate between your property and theirs!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    me.and my dad often smelt this in his attic a few months back but kept quiet... one day the police raided his neighbours house to find they had been growing it! there was lots!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just notify the police of your concerns on the non-emergency number. What'll then happen is they'll get a chopper to do a thermal check the next time it's in the area. If the neighbour's house lights up like a belisha beacon on the thermals then they'll be getting a knock on the door...
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jodi89 wrote: »
    me.and my dad often smelt this in his attic a few months back but kept quiet... one day the police raided his neighbours house to find they had been growing it! there was lots!

I had the same thing a few doors away. The police sent some PCSO's around door-to-door, not sure if they were making enquiries or just 'community re-assurance'. I said to the PCSO I don't know what the neighbourhood is coming too.....growing cannabis and not offering the neighbours any:D.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Just notify the police of your concerns on the non-emergency number. What'll then happen is they'll get a chopper to do a thermal check the next time it's in the area. If the neighbour's house lights up like a belisha beacon on the thermals then they'll be getting a knock on the door...

Not sure that is wise at the moment, it may come through your ceiling :D
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If none of you smoke it in your the house then I can say 1000% you're neighbours growing it

A place I used to work was on a small industrial estate we used to have an empty unit next to us and after a couple of months we smelt weed everywhere

One day police showed up kicked the door and came out with about 80 bin bag of marakesh's finest

And we finally figured out why production was down and the office chocolate box was always empty ;)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely your neighbours. Time to grass them up...get it? Grass(!) them up!! Know what I mean? GRASS!!! :p
  • Options
    rds60hrds60h Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

I was in a rental property and had this problem, we done as advised above on about 5 occasions one of those actually going to the local police station 10 months later and there was still no response or action.
    It was only when the landlord came round because his rent hadn't been paid and when he tried the door the locks had been changed so he asked me if I had seen them and I told him my suspicions, he then phoned the police and explained things and they came round about an hour later, sniffed through the letter box and said it definitely smelt like cannabis. He then had to report it back to HQ and then wait for a search warrant; when they eventually went in the whole house was a cannabis factory, which took them a whole day to empty and they filled a whole skip with hydroponics equipment !
    The electrics had been by passed and the sockets being used were burning through the wooden mounts they had erected and we were told that it was only a matter of time before the whole place would have gone up in flames and would have quickly spread through the loft space.
    So if I were in that position again and I knew how to contact the landlord, then that is who I would inform.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rds60h wrote: »
    So if I were in that position again and I knew how to contact the landlord, then that is who I would inform.

Doesn't matter who reports it so much as who you report it to. Some bobbies are more likely to take it more seriously than others, unfortunately...
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the police helicopter would detect a cannabis farm due to the heat generated from lamps.