Options

Unable to get son what he wants for Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Apple has a fantastic marketing machine.

I know you feel sad by not getting him what he wants, but I bet you he will love his presents. Happy Christmas. Ps: my grandson asked for Nike air Jordan's and a phone. He wanted moon on stick- he's not getting it:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you feel sad by not getting him what he wants, but I bet you he will love his presents. Happy Christmas. Ps: my grandson asked for Nike air Jordan's and a phone. He wanted moon on stick- he's not getting it:D

The still make Air Jordan's? I wanted them when I was about 15 some 20 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you like a copy of a photo of me in a 'Christmas jumper' with a tin of iced gems to ease the pain?
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, an Ipad at 10? I don't have one now and I'm considerably older :D I really do not understand this need to give kids things like that, it seems absurd to me. I have in the past bought various consoles for Christmas, but they were for both of us and stayed downstairs so we could play together. What happened to getting kids a bike?

Do you know how expensive a bike is? A decent bike would likely be far more expensive than a fair tablet.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    He still believes in Santa although this will be his last year. It looks like he's gonna learn a lesson that life's not fair.

I should think it will be his last year, otherwise he's going to look a right plonker at high school.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Tesco Hudl tablet: £120
    Nexus 7 tablet: £200
    (Games for tablets are generally very inexpensive)

XBox One console: over £400 (and games are expensive)

Top quality gaming PC: at least £2000

Or budget PC which would till play all the latest games: £500
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The still make Air Jordan's? I wanted them when I was about 15 some 20 years ago.

Yes they do. New ones I think each year. Beyond me, but I'm not a 10 year old boy, easily impressed :D
    Still he got a hudL, trainers of some name lol and other things. Peace on earth :D
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    He might actually love it.
  • Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're being good buying him a Nexus 7, especially when your finances are tight. At least he's getting a good tablet, and not one of those hudl tablets. Vastly superior.

Not sure children and ipads mix well. Very expensive and you know what children are like. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Or budget PC which would till play all the latest games: £500

You can build a half decent gaming computer for a lot less than £2000, and like you say for £500 you could put together a reasonably specced computer for gaming. At least with PCs you can add a more expensive graphics card later.:D
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    If he's not happy, tell him it was either what you got him or a pad of paper :D
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    If he's not happy, tell him it was either what you got him or a pad of paper :D

Te he, dad joke.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what has class got to do with it?!

Kids ask for lots of things they are never gonna get. Its no big deal. My sister once asked santa for a polar bear (yes a real one).
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    what has class got to do with it?!

Kids ask for lots of things they are never gonna get. Its no big deal. My sister once asked santa for a polar bear (yes a real one).

I asked for a little brother every year - never got one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Do you know how expensive a bike is? A decent bike would likely be far more expensive than a fair tablet.

Bloody hell, what bikes have you been looking at?!? I'm talking a trip to Halfords to buy an Apollo, for a 10 year old!! Or a Raleigh if you really want to push the boat out! They're boys, they are only going to bash them about anyway, why spend a fortune?
  • Options
    Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have got my daughter (8) an ipad for christmas as she uses one in school and can do her homework on it.

We have put leftover birthday money to it and all the family has given her money towards it.

She has other bits to open too.

It seemed the best option as our laptop is broke so rather than replace that we can all use the Ipad if needed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joolz1975 wrote: »
    We have got my daughter (8) an ipad for christmas as she uses one in school and can do her homework on it.

We have put leftover birthday money to it and all the family has given her money towards it.

She has other bits to open too.

It seemed the best option as our laptop is broke so rather than replace that we can all use the Ipad if needed.

Bear in mind that attempting to do word processing on an iPad is not a good idea, so as long as you didn't use the laptop a lot for that sort of thing, the iPad should be ok. I think the iPad has it's place, but I still use my iMac and MacBook for things other than the Internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Bear in mind that attempting to do word processing on an iPad is not a good idea, so as long as you didn't use the laptop a lot for that sort of thing, the iPad should be ok. I think the iPad has it's place, but I still use my iMac and MacBook for things other than the Internet.

Yeah I wouldn't use it for word processing. Much better off with a laptop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better make sure your credit card isnt linked to your itunes account or else you might find yourself with a massive bill thanks to those pesky little "in app purchase" games that come disguised as free yet you have to pay for the extras like extra lives or whatever
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sure your child will be more than happy with his Nexus. What is the worst that could happen...he has a tantrum or meltdown? so what, he will live. Im speaking from experience here and not trying to be harsh, my middle child has Aspergers and every birthday and Christmas if things werent just so he would go into a mega tantrum, we would send him to his bedroom and he would smash his room up and crash up and down on the floorboards which could last up to 2 hours and involve the neighbours ringing social services and the police, they would duly come round, check the situation out and give us a big hug and as much support as they could. By the time he was 10 or 11 we had to get builders in to repair the brickwork over his door frame. there were occasions we had to pin him to the floor and sit on him, literally as he was thrashing about and doing himself an injury. It wouldve been easier to just try and find the money or go into debt to get him some of the very expensive things he asked for but we couldnt afford huge things, we had other children to consider, he had to learn that you dont always get expensive things even if other children do and even with his cognitive impairments he had to learn that life didnt revolve around his wants. He did learn eventually and has grown up into a lovely , well behaved young man, he hasnt had a major meltdown for around 3 years now (he is 18), just telling this story to put it into perspective. I wouldnt even bother explaining he isnt getting an Ipad if he still believes in Father Xmas, just tell him xmas day its an Ipad style gadget and im sure he will be fine
  • Options
    Joolz1975Joolz1975 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We both have our work laptops for word processing and things like that.

The Ipad would mostly be for her homework (they use ipad at school as their homework is done on an app), she will also use it for games,netflix etc...
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps this is a sign that you need to start teaching him the value of money and the realities of life? So that when situations like this arise he understands. I know it mustn't be nice as a parent, but you can only live within your means.

And to be fair, i would discourage anybody from buying apple products. They are very restrictive and just not as amazing as everybody thinks. Apple has fallen a bit behind now and have no real direction.

The google Nexus is by far the best android tablet, and you don't have the restrictions of apple. For the price it is much better value. Although I wouldn't buy it myself as I am a microsoft user, you've done well with the Nexus and you shouldn't be disappointed and neither should your son.
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schools have got a lot to answer for imo. Its all very well teaching on and about the latest technology, but if they want children to do homework on laptops/ipads and use Word type software then the government should provide them.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's interesting how non-Apple users never say "My Dell Inspiron" or "My HP Pavilion" when talking about their computers. It's just "my computer" or "my laptop". It just shows how i-users have got so swept up by the Apple branding.

The iPad is just another tablet. There's nothing magical about it. In some ways, such as physical design and performance, it is a very good product but the operating system is frustrating if you want to do something different to the way that Apple wants you to do it, and iTunes is the most evil piece of software ever.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schools have got a lot to answer for imo.
    I can see the desirability of schools actively embracing the use of modern technology as much as reasonably possible, but obviously cost is an issue for some families.

IMHO schools should make every reasonable effort to allow pupils to use any type and make of device at home. Demanding that parents purchase specific products isn't appropriate.