Buy-to-let property supremo shuts door on housing benefit tenants

Comments

• AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Having a right doesn't mean it's automatically right to exercise it.

Imo it's unethical to make someone homeless for no good reason, especially when their circumstances (being on benefits) will make it very hard for them to find another home.

If they've been bad tenants and are in arrears, that's a different matter, but there's nothing in press that says that's the case.

He is giving tenants notice to leave. This regularly happens to thousands of tenants, they then find other accommodation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    His motives are clear. He wants tenants who will pay the rent.

Why are you defending the poorest in society being deprived of a roof over their head? :confused:
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    He is giving tenants notice to leave. This regularly happens to thousands of tenants, they then find other accommodation.

A lot of these tenants will end up being dealt with by the council, as a lot of private landlords are doing the same. And I would say most of these people will not have up front money that all landlords ask for. The government has already had to increase HB to the private sector because the LHA is not keeping pace with rents http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home/dwp-allows-£45-million-lha-increase/6529806.article
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they already have protection. They have to be given notice. No tenant has a right of permanent residence.

You are wrong i have a Housing Association assured tenancy not a 6 month short term one which most if not all private landlords offer.

When there was proper regulaltion of the private rental market private tenants used to have secure tenancies,with rent regulation to boot.

Strengthening the rights of private landlords in the Housing Act 1988, which eventually led to the buoyant private rented sector we have today. Mrs Thatchers Government leglislation.

Have a read of the housing act 1987 for details.;-)
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Giving a tenant a notice to leave is only a request, if he wants to evict tenants then he has to go though the courts until a court orders a tenant to leave they don't have to move
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Giving a tenant a notice to leave is only a request, if he wants to evict tenants then he has to go though the courts until a court orders a tenant to leave they don't have to move
    His benefit claimant tenants could choose to spite him and live up to his worst expectations. Ignore the notice to leave and stop paying the rent. Let him go through all the time and expenses of evicting them.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What he chooses to do is his business.

So if he IS discriminating purely on the basis of tenant x being in receipt of full or partial housing benefit, that's just his business and people should shrug it away, despite the severely negative impact it could have on wider society?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Are folk missing the obvious here?

New EU member states can now come here to work, the chap is based in Kent. Where is the stopping off point for ferries from mainland Europe?

He will no doubt accept people on benefits, as long as they are in work benefits. He has an opportunity to offer newcomers housing at top dollar knowing they will live more to a house, do various work between them and pool resources to pay the high rent wanted by the buy to let chap. They can even submit claims for in work benefit to help pay his rents and with no cap being applied to in work benefit, any rent he charges for a family on in work benefits will be acceptable.

For 'benefit claimant' read out of work, for any reason, benefit claimant.

Yes, I ws just about to say this, I think when people are talking about landlords and them not accepting people on benefits (ie the old 'no dss'), they mean unemployed tenants. Seeing as the majority of HB claimants or LHA if you're being pedantic are in work, then I would imagine they would lose an enormous amount of potential tenants if they dont take people who are in work but still claiming top up HB
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, I hope I read about these two getting busted over the next year for having unregistered HMOs or overcrowded properties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are you defending the poorest in society being deprived of a roof over their head? :confused:

I am not. I am giving my opinions on the subject of this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are wrong i have a Housing Association assured tenancy not a 6 month short term one which most if not all private landlords offer.

When there was proper regulaltion of the private rental market private tenants used to have secure tenancies,with rent regulation to boot.

Strengthening the rights of private landlords in the Housing Act 1988, which eventually led to the buoyant private rented sector we have today. Mrs Thatchers Government leglislation.

Have a read of the housing act 1987 for details.;-)

The thread is about a private landlord. I do not know the rules about Housing Association tenancies but I do know that tenants can be evicted from them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not. I am giving my opinions on the subject of this thread.

An opinion that defends the act of making the poorest in society homeless. I'm asking why you defend it, in your opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An opinion that defends the act of making the poorest in society homeless. I'm asking why you defend it, in your opinion.

Please refer to my previous answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please refer to my previous answer.

Your opinion is based on what? That it is for the best? Best for the tenant? Best for the country or because it comes about due to Conservative policies and actions?

An opinion is based on something, what is 'the something' you are using to form that opinion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread is about a private landlord. I do not know the rules about Housing Association tenancies but I do know that tenants can be evicted from them.

You know my views on private Landlords from previous posts i guess.;-)

IE six month lets 2 months notice no security of tenure to sum it up.;-)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm horrified about the proposed changes by the government for rent benefit payments. If someone is on benefits then the rent money should be paid direct to the landlord. As soon as this is changed to the tenants responsibility to pay there will be a housing crisis.

Unfortunately too many are unable to budget and for every good tenant struggling to pay there will be another one who defaults. All the government are doing here are demonising the poor (again) and allowing them to be replaced with incoming economic migrants.

What will happen to these people? Do the government really want families living on the streets? Why doesn't our government care about its own people?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I'm horrified about the proposed changes by the government for rent benefit payments. If someone is on benefits then the rent money should be paid direct to the landlord. As soon as this is changed to the tenants responsibility to pay there will be a housing crisis.
    I expect one of the reasons for the change to paying claimants not landlords is the amount of shortfall between housing benefit and rent the claimants will be expected to make up.

The government claims to have support measures for those tenants who need help managing their own finances.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    that happens in my block.....some of the flats have been bought under Right To Buy and rented out at 3 times the rent that us council tenants pay

Indeed, where I used to live the same happened. One person now rents out several at much higher rents and no refurbishments etc
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres alot of speculation in the type of tennents that will be displaced as well.. people seem very out of touch when it comes to benefit claiments, more than ever those recieving housing benefit especially are infact working households

As you said hes in kent, who are expecting thousands

Reminds me of the situation with London based councils, making deals with landlords in surrounding counties (Essex especially) to offload their tennents to make room for people leaving the capital through economic cleansing

On a sidenote I suppose those that see nothing wrong with this are also happy with the increased economic strain this will place on councils and local authorities already spread pretty thin

Good luck rehousing all of them, many waiting lists for homes are on a 1:1 or greater ratio with the actual housing stock of those areas
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    Theres alot of speculation in the type of tennents that will be displaced as well.. people seem very out of touch when it comes to benefit claiments, more than ever those recieving housing benefit especially are infact working households
    The vast majority of recent new housing benefit claims have come from households with at least one working person.

Landlords need to be careful what they wish for. They are inadvertently smearing working people with their assumptions and actions.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=162363267287488&id=130460543811094

well they certainly seem to upset people on a regular basis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=162363267287488&id=130460543811094

well they certainly seem to upset people on a regular basis

They certainly seem to have plenty of friends.:D:o

Daniel Crook I am sorry to hear all these problems. My firm kingsfords solicitors in Ashford have a contract with the legal aid agency in housing law matters. It could be that some of you are entilted to legal aid and can obtain assistance. See link www.kingsfords-solicitors.com/site/people/profile/dbc

From the Facebook page.
  • redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This vile piece of scum should be in prison and definitely not receiving a penny of taxpayers money
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They certainly seem to have plenty of friends.:D:o

Daniel Crook I am sorry to hear all these problems. My firm kingsfords solicitors in Ashford have a contract with the legal aid agency in housing law matters. It could be that some of you are entilted to legal aid and can obtain assistance. See link www.kingsfords-solicitors.com/site/people/profile/dbc

From the Facebook page.

Seems odd that solicitors can't spell entitled.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems odd that solicitors can't spell entitled.

Is that all that you get from that, barrel scraping time.