Catherine Tate's Nan – BBC One, 9.30pm, 04/01

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually love Nan but this was not her best. I think CT tried to cram in too much and, with all comedy, the timing is crucial. There was barely time to laugh before Nan came out with another swear word or caustic comment. In any comedy you need pauses, brief silences ...... I watched this in evidence with the old Morecambe and wise shows shown recently. The times between gags were as funny as the gags themselves.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Great show! I laughed throughout.Would love a series out of it.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watching this now........the character worked as a sketch in a programme of sketches but this doesn't work at all as a stand alone programme.There are a few good moments but not enough to carry it.I'm sure it'll get a full series in due course!^_^
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I thought this was funny I have very mixed feelings about it.
    I think CT is very one directional, even when she isn't Nan I can the the Nan character in everything she plays, I could even see it come through in Dr Who.

I wasn't going to watch last night but seeing the comments on here made me go an watch in on Iplayer.
    Yes I found it funny but would it hold out for a full series? I am not so sure and would maybe prefer a special every 2-3 months
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the ratings for last nights show, I think with those figures we could potentially see a serise. Though they were not ground breaking figures when compared with the first 2 series of miranda and mrs browns boys its certainly is on the same staring level.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Booty luv wrote: »
    Just seen the ratings for last nights show, I think with those figures we could potentially see a serise. Though they were not ground breaking figures when compared with the first 2 series of miranda and mrs browns boys its certainly is on the same staring level.

4.3m is not bad I suppose for a Saturday night. I think it would have done much better, close to 9m like Mrs Brown did over Christmas if it had been shown on Christmas Day or New Years Day instead of that awful Len Goodman rubbish.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was very good, but what's with the BBC's crap scheduling, having this and the brilliant Dave Allen on at the same time on their two main channels. >:(

Try a video recorder/dvd recorder/catch up/sky plus.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was dire. Getting a bit bored of swearing old people and the UN PC targets of her anger were done in the usual careful modern day way. So were not really offensive. Bit of a fail.
    It felt like she was jumping on the coat tail of Mrs Brown, which is past its sell by date as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was dire. Getting a bit bored of swearing old people and the UN PC targets of her anger were done in the usual careful modern day way. So were not really offensive. Bit of a fail.
    It felt like she was jumping on the coat tail of Mrs Brown, which is past its sell by date as well.

Mrs Brown, well 9 million viewers would not agree with you...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I am a huge fan of Catherine Tate and this did not disappoint! Although I do agree that if its a one of special it should've been a christmas episode! Hopefully she makes a return.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myscimitar wrote: »

Do the viewing figures always reflect on the quality ? Popularity maybe. I liked Mrs Brown at first and watched the latest episodes. They were not great for me.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    No, she says f--k and buck in equal measure.

buck? :confused:
    I thought it was '****', (edit: oh didn't know it would censor it, I meant f ec*

Anyway I really enjoyed last nights show, the school girl on the young-old person thing was a good idea
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »

I'm one of those 9 million and no way IMHO is Catherine Tate even remotely as funny as Mrs.Brown.s Boys.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always assumed the show ended after three series because Tate had had enough, so I wouldn't get your hopes up, though I wouldn't be surprised to see another future special episode or two...

They said this was commissioned as a "pilot" so dependent on the success, they will get a full series. I think she was bored of the sketch show and killed the Lauren character off too but it's been nearly 8 years so maybe she wants to do Nan again.
    alixfowler wrote: »
    http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/452042/Storm-over-foul-mouthed-BBC-comedy-Catherine-Tate-s-Nan

According to this I must be and most of the people on this board must be racists as we found her jokes funny. Tate must have based her character on one or a number of older ladies that she knows so it's not as if she has created an openly racist character just an older lady who has near to the mark opinions. Also she wasn't really being offensive with the gypsy joke it was just a comment about the woman's attire.

What a ridiculous article.
    Nan poked fun at gypsies and two Muslim women in burkas. She then wore one herself in the hope of getting better service at the local council office, suggesting *Muslims receive preferential treatment from the authorities.

Suggesting they get better service? :D Clearly skipping over the fact that she wore the burka to conceal her identity. Some people eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one of those 9 million and no way IMHO is Catherine Tate even remotely as funny as Mrs.Brown.s Boys.

On top form I would agree, but both the latest shows were as funny as piles for me.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did the episode get ratings wise? I'm guessing above 5m
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    What did the episode get ratings wise? I'm guessing above 5m

4.3m in the overnights.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

No she's funnier. Mrs Brown is just crude obvious comedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings weren't bad considering it was up against Take Me Out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Brilliant

I laughed so much I had to tell my Grandchildren I hadn't laughed so much since I saw The Pirates of Penzance. Every woman will get the reference I hope.
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS I wish people would stop comparing Nan to Mrs Brown's boys. The two are totally different.
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Nan doesn't need to be politically correct.She should be more unintentionally offensive in my opinion.
    A series would be better as there would be more of a budget.It all seemed to be a bit "we have three sets and we need to spend equal time in each set".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Cosya wrote: »
    FFS I wish people would stop comparing Nan to Mrs Brown's boys. The two are totally different.

One is a man playing a sweary woman, and the other is a woman playing a sweary woman.

The difference being the sex of the actor.

Have I missed your point? or is this about male or female actors?
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    If Nan gets 5m or more, surely they'd commission a series? After all Citizen Khan got a third series even though that only got 2.8m!

There's probably a BBC whizzkid somewhere that worked out how many Asians there are in Britain,then worked out how Citizen Khan was a "massive success" under a "diversity initiative" :D
  • CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is a man playing a sweary woman, and the other is a woman playing a sweary woman.

The difference being the sex of the actor.

Have I missed your point? or is this about male or female actors?

The fact the shows are about two women are the only resemblance. The characters in both are totally different.

Its like saying Dr Who is the same as that old Nicholas Lyndhurst comedy Goodnight Sweetnight as both time travelled!! Totally different