Options

Buying a tv in Sainsburys (silly question)

1235»

Comments

• Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brought to you by a "Freeloading Scrounger", (me), who doesn't have a TV licence, who watches BBCi player, and subs to Lovefilm.

http://d2frhgt2bq49dg.cloudfront.net/lovefilm/images/partners/bbc/BBC-Leaderboard.jpg

Read the text.

I think you'll find some of us freeloading scroungers ARE helping pay for BBC programming, despite what you may think :D

Just so no one thinks the image is shopped, here it is on Lovefilm
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    I have asked you before. Do you have a breakdown of how much your TV licence is funding BBC iplayer? Do you have a breakdown of how BBC iplayer is funded? If not then go away as your argument is weak and invalid. For all you know, BBC iplayer could be funded by the income from BBC DVDs and the money they get from services such as Netflix for showing BBC made shows. If that is the case, then how do you know these "freeloading scroungers" ain't actually paying for it?

Why don't you find out how its funded and enlighten the rest of us?
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Why don't you find out how its funded and enlighten the rest of us?

Because it doesn't bother me how it's funded. I'm just giving examples to someone who seems bothered people watch it legally.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    That is your opinion, but the important thing is how the law sees it, and the law say no need to pay, so these people are law abiding. Do you pay more on your council tax, or only what the law says you have to.

I would gladly pay more on my council tax, so that cut services can be reinstated. As that is not a possibility, I help raise money for the school, I give to charities such as local youth projects and donate groceries to food banks. What do you do to help your fellow man?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and the freeloading scroungers use it as well and still don't pay for it.

I pay the LF, but could easily do without the BBC or any of it's services, but I do like to watch live tv.

Can I have a rebate as I don't want to contribute to the BBC and all it's services, I don't mind paying the little amount that is given to the other channels, just begrudge most of my money going to the BBC, that others get the pleasure of but I don't.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I pay the LF, but could easily do without the BBC or any of it's services, but I do like to watch live tv.

Can I have a rebate as I don't want to contribute to the BBC and all it's services, I don't mind paying the little amount that is given to the other channels, just begrudge most of my money going to the BBC, that others get the pleasure of but I don't.
    With the exception of S4C none of the other channels get any money from the TV Licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    With the exception of S4C none of the other channels get any money from the TV Licence.

So it pretty much is a BBC Licence fee, not this watching live tv nonsense then. Makes me even more begrudge giving the money now for it, oh well. Guess I will have to consider it as giving money to a charity, I don't see the benefit but others do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would gladly pay more on my council tax, so that cut services can be reinstated. As that is not a possibility, I help raise money for the school, I give to charities such as local youth projects and donate groceries to food banks. What do you do to help your fellow man?

Well I pay for the LF, which enables my fellow men to watch the BBC and all it's services, even though it is not something I benefit from :)
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well I pay for the LF, which enables my fellow men to watch the BBC and all it's services, even though it is not something I benefit from :)

What....you never listen a BBC radio staion, access the BBC website, even when a link is posted on this forum and never even watch the news on television?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Because it doesn't bother me how it's funded. I'm just giving examples to someone who seems bothered people watch it legally.

Yep, I noticed that, also the amount of people who don't like it that I don't have a Tv licence and then come out with crap liek you need a Tv licence if you have a computer.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    What....you never listen a BBC radio staion, access the BBC website, even when a link is posted on this forum and never even watch the news on television?

But no were on the tv licence or on the tv licence web site, or in law does it say that you need a licence for any of these things, they all say only if watching live tv. So that must mean these are a free service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say that I don't watch the BBC (earlier post to what you quoted from), even though very little (Sherlock, Top Gear and sometimes MOTD), but if it meant not paying the LF to give up the BBC and it's services then I could very easily do that.

No I don't listen to the radio at all, I do look at the website, but if I had to give it up, then plenty of other websites to choose from. Never used Iplayer either.

All of the above I could give up, so not much of a benefit to me. But I watch TV live so I have no choice really, and possibly never will.