Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I haven't looked specifically, but I recall the big old one on top of the file cabinet... Or the one that Al Large was listening to.......And Mrs. Tishell was listening to one too. It would be fun to see if they used the same one over and over. I seem to recall one was mustard yellow plastic with 2 white knobs....homely old thing.

There are quite a few different ones. I also seem to remember one in Mrs Cronk's fish and chip shop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robbleona wrote: »
    Today on C4 there was a repeat of 'the Shell Seekers', starring Vanessa Redgrave. I didn't watch it first time round.....but the Cornish parts were set in PI! It showed the Old Boathouse by the 'school' with a RED FRONTAGE....the date at the end credits was 2006, I thought the show was made before then. Anyone else catch it??

Have not seen the movie but it is an excellent book, BTW.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I googled Martin Clunes Antique Radios and it brought me to a site: UK Vintage Radio and saw some interesting posts. On Oct. 11, 2011, in a post by Andrew2, he stated there was a large Grunding, possibly a 1970's Yacht Boy. In his surgery is a BushTR90 from the 60's; in Penhale's kitchen there is a Hacker, poster says looks like a Sovereign. On top of freezer in Large's Restaurant there is a cream EkcoU215 toaster radio. He wondered if someone on the production team is a collector. Another person spotted that here were several radios on "A is for Acid": 2 small Bakelite radios, one with a carrying handle on top; another big floor standing woodie. Interesting, person stated Martin Clunes was main character in both series.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I googled Martin Clunes Antique Radios and it brought me to a site: UK Vintage Radio and saw some interesting posts. On Oct. 11, 2011, in a post by Andrew2, he stated there was a large Grunding, possibly a 1970's Yacht Boy. In his surgery is a BushTR90 from the 60's; in Penhale's kitchen there is a Hacker, poster says looks like a Sovereign. On top of freezer in Large's Restaurant there is a cream EkcoU215 toaster radio. He wondered if someone on the production team is a collector. Another person spotted that here were several radios on "A is for Acid": 2 small Bakelite radios, one with a carrying handle on top; another big floor standing woodie. Interesting, person stated Martin Clunes was main character in both series.

I believe I read that MC's Mom was a big radio player and that he grew up with BBC radio 4 in the background....radio plays and intellectual content. That may be where the hobby came from. He listens to radio plays when he travels. I just wonder about the practical side. Do you think he brings them from home and stores them in the properties shed? When there is a need for a radio is one pulled out of the collection? The thought that that could be the case delights me to no end. Just another sign of the Clunes' and others personal investment in the show. Just a touch to push it over ordinary....why that would be in "A Is For Acid" is beyond me though....but I haven't checked if it was a BP property.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished reading Arthur and George. It will be great to see MC and CC in the roles of Arthur Conan Doyle and Jean Leckie. Arthur C D had quite a luxuriant mustache, for most of his life. Wonder when we'll see MC sporting the beginnings of same? or will make-up/costuming take care of this?

Does anyone know when filming for this is supposed to take place? And isn't he also doing Harvey in late fall of 2014?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S1E3 Sh*t Happens

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html

Be sure to check out the new Trivia page that is being created for each episode as we eliminate them!

Last week's episode trivia page: http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS3E3.html

I've been continuing to add links and just this morning added an interview to the MC Audio page. It's the radio interview he did on April 7, 2012 where MC first told us that S6 would open with a wedding. I guess we should take him at his word, eh?
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For UK'ers, or Region 2 DVD buyers: Signed copy giveaway with order. http://www.acorndvd.com/doc-martin-series-6.html
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You never want this favorite book to end. Nice little bit.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S1E3 Sh*t Happens

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html

Be sure to check out the new Trivia page that is being created for each episode as we eliminate them!

Last week's episode trivia page: http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS3E3.html

I've been continuing to add links and just this morning added an interview to the MC Audio page. It's the radio interview he did on April 7, 2012 where MC first told us that S6 would open with a wedding. I guess we should take him at his word, eh?

Yes, he is very specific in that radio interview, and made a point to say that they will be getting married straight away at the beginning of the series. What I found funny is, after that announcement and up to series 6 filming a lot of people on this forum continued to doubt that they would get married. I guess it sounded too good to be true to believe it.

Thanks for taking the time to do the surveys. They are a lot of fun.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta love that Cornish Humor. I clicked on a blonde joke that someone sent me on FB. This took me to the original picture with thousands of responses. One of the top responses was pretty funny, so I clicked on her name to see where she was from, and chuckled when I saw she was born in Cornwall. I perused her page and saw a list of things that only people who grew up in Cornwall understand. (Isn't it fun sometimes going down a rabbit hole like that from an innocent click?)

Anyway, I didn't understand any of it (not being from Cornwall) but I was intrigued by the one that said "You know the exact location of Porth-Emmet Beach". I googled it and had to laugh.

The explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porthemmet_Beach_hoax

The original web page: http://www.porthemmet.com

Sounds like something the residents of Portwenn would cook up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Maybe everyone had a foreboding about what would happen after the wedding
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Maybe everyone had a foreboding about what would happen after the wedding

I just worried it could be another send-up like the end of S3 or the earthquake dream sequence. And it just seemed too good to be true that a real wedding would happen. What would happen after it, never came into my mind, except to remember the Clunes' mantra about DM to the effect that 'it wouldn't be our show' or 'that'd be somebody else's show'. I also think many of us figured the wedding would be an Ep.8 show, and instead we got it right off the start of S6.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched S2 Ep6 of Murder in Suburbia yesterday, and beside Caroline Catz' character showing her hunky boss what a kiss would have been like if she had initiated it, the ep also featured Debby Chazen (Alison Lane -- "we can be as fat as we....) and Neil Stuke, Reggie Perrin's boss Chris.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Susie

You were right. It was another send up. But instead of the happy ending we had the happy beginning and the -- and I am being extremely optimistic here -- the hopeful ending.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's have some fun!

Here's an Idea To Create Funny Moments:

What kind of scenes next series can TPTB produce which will will be hilarious to TPTB but cause viewers to throw things at their TVs?

Here's one moment as an example:

Scene opens with a shot of an early morning sun, the camera comes lovingly into the bedroom, two people snuggled up tight, little morning kisses, a laughing ooh! from the woman.....and then we zoom out to see it's Bert and his girlfriend, not DM and LG.

:)

Any other ideas of scenes like that which we know TPTB would be laughing about and we viewers would react by tearing out our hair?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Let's have some fun!

What kind of scenes next series can TPTB produce which will will be hilarious to TPTB but cause viewers to throw things at their TVs?

Scene opens with a shot of an early morning sun, the camera comes lovingly into the bedroom, two people snuggled up tight, little morning kisses, a laughing ooh! from the woman.....and then we zoom out to see it's Bert and his girlfriend, not DM and LG.

Any other ideas of scenes like that which we know TPTB would be laughing about and we viewers would react by tearing out our hair?

I'm sure there will be any number of poorly timed interruptions to anything romantic or otherwise...there always is, there always will be. For once it would be nice for no interruptions. It will be interesting to see how people answer your question. My mind isn't as creative as some when it comes to this sort of humor. I enjoy watching it but not coming up with scenarios.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's have some fun!

Mona, I am going to take the liberty of quoting some things from your fan fiction "The Third Time" which I could never top and would be funny in S7:
    (scene: Martin and Louisa in bed in A.M.)
    . . . . Louisa says to Martin, "Were you awake before me for long?"
    Martin: "Not for long."
    Louisa: "Were you watching me?"
    Martin: "Yes. With your history of snoring I made sure you were breathing consistently and didn't have sleep apnea."
    Louisa: "Oh." Sleep apnea. There's nothing more romantic than sleep apnea.

Another scene (the camera must be on the window instead of the bed to pass the Code of Decency of BP) After a little lovemaking, Martin says: "You should urinate now, if you can. For women, urinating after sex significantly decreases their risk of developing a urinary tract infection."
    Louisa thinks: And. . . so much for after sex snuggling.

Now, there are some of my contributions:
    Aunt Ruth and Mr. Mosley go out on a dinner date and each try to show the other that they care but their uptightness stands in the way.
    Morwenna takes a liking to one of the fisherman ( big, burly, with a beard) and goes on a date with him with his yellow fishing coveralls on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On reading my previous post a few hours later, I realize that I missed the point of Mona's request. My contributions have nothing to do with what she requested. I don't know what I was thinking, must be all this cold, bad snowy weather we have been having. I'll just lurk at the sidelines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As many of you know, I love to pay attention to the sets and the dressing of the sets.

One thing that puzzled me in S6 was that it was obvious that the bathroom off Martin & Louisa's bedroom was up a step from the bedroom. This puzzled me because I live in a house with gabled ceilings upstairs, just like they have in the upstairs in the surgery, and putting the bathroom up a step would really compromise ceiling height. Plus, we know that these rooms are on a set in the barn, so it's not like they had to go with what was there in the house where they chose to film.

I just had a brainstorm. I wonder if that is the working bathroom on the set and when they constructed it they needed to elevate it slightly to make it easier to set up the plumbing?

Just a theory...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    As many of you know, I love to pay attention to the sets and the dressing of the sets.

One thing that puzzled me in S6 was that it was obvious that the bathroom off Martin & Louisa's bedroom was up a step from the bedroom. This puzzled me because I live in a house with gabled ceilings upstairs, just like they have in the upstairs in the surgery, and putting the bathroom up a step would really compromise ceiling height. Plus, we know that these rooms are on a set in the barn, so it's not like they had to go with what was there in the house where they chose to film.

I just had a brainstorm. I wonder if that is the working bathroom on the set and when they constructed it they needed to elevate it slightly to make it easier to set up the plumbing?

Just a theory...

I'm curious as to where the shower is...If they think, we think, they only bathe in that short tub with DM's size and LE's long hair...I don't know, perhaps they were trying to portray the feeling that indeed they were living in cramped quarters thus contributing to M going Bodmin...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more thing regarding set dressing. In S5E7 (Cats and Sharks), when Mrs T is at her dressing table wearing the black neck brace, if you look closely, there is a fancy metal picture frame on the dressing table. It's blurry, but it's pretty obviously a picture on Martin in front of her shop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    On reading my previous post a few hours later, I realize that I missed the point of Mona's request. My contributions have nothing to do with what she requested. I don't know what I was thinking, must be all this cold, bad snowy weather we have been having. I'll just lurk at the sidelines.

Marchand, first thanks for the references to my story.

Second, I think it would be really great for Morwenna to strike a fancy to a younger fisherman! That's a great and creative idea instead of rehashing Al and DM's secretary again. The fisherman really are an interesting bunch, I think and the heart and soul of Port Wenn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marchand, first thanks for the references to my story.

Second, I think it would be really great for Morwenna to strike a fancy to a younger fisherman! That's a great and creative idea instead of rehashing Al and DM's secretary again. The fisherman really are an interesting bunch, I think and the heart and soul of Port Wenn.

Also, AR and Mosley on a date would be fun, too.

Anything to put some FUN back in "Doc Martin"!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    This article was very interesting. What I find interesting is how the stations say it took so long for the show to take off. I saw the show listing but I would never have watched it because it sounded like those clunky boots. There was no advertising and it just didn't sound like something to watch. I think for many of us, it was just word of mouth...from neighbors....from family...from loyal PBS viewers..that got us to watch. It took me about three shows...and then seeing Martin, and I was hooked. I recognized MC, it could have been from BBC America's MBB....which I also didn't watch....and that was it.

It seems pretty amazing but that is where Doc Martin started to catch on in the US. I also thought it funny that the article said the humor was lost on many people. I bet that is true....but at least some of the audience got it because it's certainly popular right now. Interesting observation on the atypical growth of an atypical show.

Vapid babbling I know. Have at me.

Recently the local PBS station (KQED) had an hour long program on how Monty Python ultimately cracked the U.S. market. It was, apparently, a touch and go thing--with too many decision making people thinking that British humor would not sell in the U.S. An early broadcast of the program in the U.S. was on commercial television and late at night where the ratio to ads and program is close to one to one. It destroyed the flow of the program. The Monty Python group (Cleese, etc.) protested and found a clause in the contract with BBC (who had sold the program to the U.S. statlions) which prohibited the cutting up of the program to accommodate ads and they became able to negotiate directly with the PBS system with, of course, a fantastic result for all of us.

Though the program didn't say this, I'm sure the Monty Python success opened the doors for all sorts of good British programs, both humor and serious. I don't think (the late, lamented) Dave Allen would have ever been shown here and probably not Black Adder without Monty Python's success. Or One Foot in the Grave or Waiting for God (with the brilliant Stephanie Cole) or As Time Goes By. Doc Martin likely would have been another casualty.
This discussion has been closed.