Options

Jai sounds like the wicked witch of the West

Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Last night was the 1st time I had heard her, and I can't say I was impressed. I couldn't believe it when I realised she was a contestant; Her voice is horrible. It s so affected - infact, I thought she sounded like the Wicked Witch in Wizard of OZ.

Witch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFubQuK0dg&hd=1

Jai singing on last nights show.

Comments

• Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that Jai sounds like she's trying too hard to sound like Amy Winehouse.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night was the 1st time I had heard her, and I can't say I was impressed. I couldn't believe it when I realised she was a contestant; Her voice is horrible. It s so affected - infact, I thought she sounded like the Wicked Witch in Wizard of OZ.

Witch

Jai singing on last nights show.

Both links go to the Wizard of Oz ;-)

However, I like Jai's voice. She reminds me of someone, but not the Wicked Witch of the West
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

However, I like Jai's voice. She reminds me of someone, but not the Wicked Witch of the West

I'm sure it was Sheridan smith she put me in mind of last night
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sounds just like Shingai from The Noisettes
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure of her voice, I think she's trying a bit too hard to be different and stand out and it doesn't come across as natural, I'm sure if she calmed it down a bit her tone wouldn't be as harsh, but would still be unique. Hoping Kylie can get a better sound out of her.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member

She sounds like the Noisettes actually. And I have a feeling she may be trying to mimic the lead vocalist but nevertheless in doing so she's making herself a lot more different from the vast majority of the lot. She does it with vocal precision too.

I think she's great. and the comments here are slightly baffling. It's a nice quirky voice. Though I guess it's to be expected when anyone tries something different...
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course maybe she isn't trying anything and she actually does sing like that :)
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    She sounds just like Shingai from The Noisettes

Exactly what I thought. Everyone else was saying Amy Winehouse but I thought The Noisettes.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Exactly what I thought. Everyone else was saying Amy Winehouse but I thought The Noisettes.

Well she did sing a Noisettes song for her blinds...
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, however it's produced, whoever it sounds like, I think it's horrible - really unpleasant.

And there's a few of them doing it. Luciee next week.

It sounds artificial and gimmicky to me.

But I accept it's a popular sound at the mo and that's why the judges are fawning all over them.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Well she did sing a Noisettes song for her blinds...

Ah that must be it :cool: lol. I know she did but then everyone sang someone's song but they didn't necessarily sound exactly like the original singer whereas she did but oddly IMO everyone said she sounded like Amy Winehouse.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed her audition, so I just had a listen on Youtube. Goddamn, I thought she was going to slice my eardrums open. Such a harsh and sharp tone to her voice - if she'd gone opera, she'd be smashing wine glasses and not in a good way. To me, different doesn't always equal good, and I've heard a few like her on the Voice and X Factor - mangling vowels and consonants - and I just don't like that style. Hey ho. :(