Options

sale of collectables

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
Forum Member
Hi Hope I'm doing this right as it's my 1st post! Can anyone give me good advice about where to sell my late Sons Dr Who articles( mags paperbacks giant robot records etc) all from the 70's as I hav'nt a clue. thanks

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Actually meant my 1st thread !sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    eBay.co.uk would be a start.

I advise you research the items before listing and be quite descriptive in the ad as well as having clear photo's (you don't want anything rare going for peanuts).

Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eBay.co.uk would be a start.

I advise you research the items before listing and be quite descriptive in the ad as well as having clear photo's (you don't want anything rare going for peanuts).

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'late son'?

Sorry for your loss. I hope his Who collection finds a good home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    'late son'?

Sorry for your loss. I hope his Who collection finds a good home.

Thankyou. He died quite a few years ago but I am only ready to sell his items now. the hardest thing is finding out their worth! I am looking to learn to sell on e-bay as suggested before. I'm not very computer literate!:)
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whilma wrote: »
    Hi Hope I'm doing this right as it's my 1st post! Can anyone give me good advice about where to sell my late Sons Dr Who articles( mags paperbacks giant robot records etc) all from the 70's as I hav'nt a clue. thanks

Hi Whilma, sorry to hear about your son, but good to hear you are ready to move on, if only in small steps I'm sure.

I've never owned or bought Doctor Who memorabilia so can't give you any clues, but I came across this website today which may be useful to you :

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list/3133/toys-and-games.html?keyword=doctor%20who%20figure

I thought perhaps if you look at the items on there, or put search criteria matching the items you are selling you could use this site and ebay to determine pricess that are appropriate. Good luck :)
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi! Also sorry about your son. You may find some things would sell better as 'sets' while others more as singles. Magazines would probably work better as singles so people can complete their back catalogue - be sure to put the magazine title, issue number and date in the auction title. A quick list of the articles in the magazine might help. Figurines might go better as a set, though I'm prepared to be contradicted on that one. Good luck!
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on what they are they are probably not worth a whole lot.

If it is Doctor Who Magazine they don't go for much, and likewise neither do the Target novels. Records are rarer though, and a giant Robot? Never seen those so that might get you something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Hi Whilma, sorry to hear about your son, but good to hear you are ready to move on, if only in small steps I'm sure.

I've never owned or bought Doctor Who memorabilia so can't give you any clues, but I came across this website today which may be useful to you :

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list/3133/toys-and-games.html?keyword=doctor%20who%20figure

I thought perhaps if you look at the items on there, or put search criteria matching the items you are selling you could use this site and ebay to determine pricess that are appropriate. Good luck :)

Thanks I will definitely have a look at this site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alphonsus wrote: »
    Hi! Also sorry about your son. You may find some things would sell better as 'sets' while others more as singles. Magazines would probably work better as singles so people can complete their back catalogue - be sure to put the magazine title, issue number and date in the auction title. A quick list of the articles in the magazine might help. Figurines might go better as a set, though I'm prepared to be contradicted on that one. Good luck!

Thanks for your help. I have all the weekly magazines from from number 1 and then from when they went monthly so I'd better start getting busy with descriptions! Could take awhile:)
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Hi Whilma have a look at these sites they may help you get some ideas.
    http://www.doctorwhotoybox.co.uk/
    http://drwhomerch.*********.com/
    http://www.thewhoshop.com/

As far as the comics the first three all came with transfers on the front cover. Are they still there as they are worth a lot more if they are. Just about the only Target book that is worth more than a couple of pounds is The Wheel In Space. For some reason this one is quite scarce and is worth more than the others. i've seen them go for upwards of £20, of course condition is all important.
    As for the Giant Robot toy, is it it boxed and in what condition. Again I've seen very good condition boxed ones go for over £200. I sold three about 20 years ago to a guy in America for £30 each. It's worth exploring the internet to get an idea of wht your late son's collection is worth before selling any of it. Don't get ripped off.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Hi Whilma have a look at these sites they may help you get some ideas.
    http://www.doctorwhotoybox.co.uk/
    http://drwhomerch.*********.com/
    http://www.thewhoshop.com/

As far as the comics the first three all came with transfers on the front cover. Are they still there as they are worth a lot more if they are. Just about the only Target book that is worth more than a couple of pounds is The Wheel In Space. For some reason this one is quite scarce and is worth more than the others. i've seen them go for upwards of £20, of course condition is all important.
    As for the Giant Robot toy, is it it boxed and in what condition. Again I've seen very good condition boxed ones go for over £200. I sold three about 20 years ago to a guy in America for £30 each. It's worth exploring the internet to get an idea of wht your late son's collection is worth before selling any of it. Don't get ripped off.
    Good luck.[/QUOTE
    Thanks for the info. I Have 53 target books mostly 1st editions in excellent condition but I will check the titles. I know there is one signed by Tom Baker as I took my Son to see him and he gave us jelly babies! The Giant Robot is boxed and again in excellent condition. The only things I have that are well used are the talking Daleks which alas don't talk anymore!:)
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    When Mr Hestia wanted to offload some of his stuff, he found a local memorabilia/toy fair, took a cheap table and sold most of it in a couple of hours. If you don't want to take it yourself, you might find someone who'll be happy to do it for you. Some people enjoy that kind of thing (like Mr Hestia, but I just prefer the quiet day when he's out). You'd need to do your pricing beforehand, though, to safeguard the good items.

The other thing he does is find a relevant forum or club and advertise it on their website. That way you are reaching people directly.

Ebay is a bit of a headache, increasingly so these days, what with charging for breathing while on-line among other things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    When Mr Hestia wanted to offload some of his stuff, he found a local memorabilia/toy fair, took a cheap table and sold most of it in a couple of hours. If you don't want to take it yourself, you might find someone who'll be happy to do it for you. Some people enjoy that kind of thing (like Mr Hestia, but I just prefer the quiet day when he's out). You'd need to do your pricing beforehand, though, to safeguard the good items.

The other thing he does is find a relevant forum or club and advertise it on their website. That way you are reaching people directly.

Ebay is a bit of a headache, increasingly so these days, what with charging for breathing while on-line among other things.

I think that might be the answer for me as I'm not too good on computers. I will research items for pricing and take it from there. Thanks for your input:)