Options

The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 55)

Comments

• Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven_P wrote: »
    Norway – it seems at least one Scandinavian country’s population isn’t all suffering from chronic cloth ear dieses, thank goodness.
    What an earth is "cloth ear dieses" - I hope I haven't unwittingly caught it...!! :o

;)
  • Options
    Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    What an earth is "cloth ear dieses" - I hope I haven't unwittingly caught it...!! :o

;)

Oh Sorry all I really didn't mean to cause any offence with that comment. Where I come from you'll jokingly tell someone they have "cloth ears" if you are questioning their hearing. What with Denmark and Sweden picking songs I wasn't expecting them to pick I made that comment just with a humorous connotation - and lack of proof reading...
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought silent storm was pretty good live! I think that it will prob end up being my favourite, but I hate like the favourite lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Sorry all I really didn't mean to cause any offence with that comment. Where I come from you'll jokingly tell someone they have "cloth ears" if you are questioning their hearing. What with Denmark and Sweden picking songs I wasn't expecting them to pick I made that comment just with a humorous connotation - and lack of proof reading...
    I was joking (hence the ;)), and didn't mean to cause offence either. I did get what you meant, more or less :D

I'm curious though if you count Finland as part of Scandinavia or not...? (It strictly speaking isn't, but many still see it as Scandinavia.)
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I was joking (hence the ;)), and didn't mean to cause offence either. I did get what you meant, more or less :D

I'm curious though if you count Finland as part of Scandinavia or not...? (It strictly speaking isn't, but many still see it as Scandinavia.)

Butting in, but I never think of Iceland and Finland as Scandinavian (hence use of the catch-all Nordic to encompass all 5.)

I'm not sure why that is, but Finland (to a complete outsiders eyes) appears to share more in common with Estonia than it does, say, Norway. Just my approximation of things!
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come Finland isn't considered part of Scandinavia? They look nicely tucked in with Sweden, Norway & Denmark on the map and they share similar cultures right? I know Finnish isn't in the same language family as Swedish or Norweigan but would any Finn consider themselves to be a Scandi?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a few Finnish friends who tell me Finland isn’t considered part of Scandinavia and so I bow to their authority on the subject.
    From an Outsiders viewpoint I’d say there were cultural similarities to the point of culturally thinking of it as such, and I’ve spent time around and been to nearly all “Scandinavian” countries –I've not been to Finland yet. But that may be like people who are not from either country saying to me Britain and Ireland are the same culturally. I’ve lived in both and can see big differences.
    How do you see Finland's culture compared to the others?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How come Finland isn't considered part of Scandinavia? They look nicely tucked in with Sweden, Norway & Denmark on the map and they share similar cultures right? I know Finnish isn't in the same language family as Swedish or Norweigan but would any Finn consider themselves to be a Scandi?

This suggests it's because Norway, Sweden and Denmark all share a governmental style (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system) whilst Finland is a republic. Who says Eurovision can't be educational?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, I'm probably showing my ignorance when I assume that all Scandinavian countries share the same culture. I dare say Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall wouldn't have needed to travel to all 3 for his 'Scandimania' series if all the countries were the same. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This suggests it's because Norway, Sweden and Denmark all share a governmental style (constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system) whilst Finland is a republic. Who says Eurovision can't be educational?

Agree totally with you, Eurovision should be about learning about each other's countries. I discovered so much because of it, that's why it's such a good thing and why people who moan about it being "cheap", political and fixed annoy me so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Too bloody right!

Mind you, it can have it's downsides. I keep forgetting poor Luxembourg exist just because they're not in the contest anymore. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Too bloody right!

Mind you, it can have it's downsides. I keep forgetting poor Luxembourg exist just because they're not in the contest anymore. :D

I think almost everything I know about Europe comes from Eurovision and re-runs of Coach Trip (not ashamed!) :D

Although today I did learn in a lecture that Norway isn't part of the EU. Who knew?! (aside from every Norwegian, possibly)
  • Options
    youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although today I did learn in a lecture that Norway isn't part of the EU. Who knew?! (aside from every Norwegian, possibly)

They don't want to share their oil! :D

I think the people getting confused about Finland not being part of Scandinavia is the same as Europeans thinking Ireland is part of the UK!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to have inspired such an enlightening discussion :D

Yeah, the term "Nordic countries" does include Finland and Iceland, while Scandinavia doesn't, as per that wikipedia article (I was going to quote that as well, but you beat me to it ;))

I don't know, many Finns probably do associate more with Scandinavia than any other countries, and the culture is fairly similar in many ways (though language isn't); Finland and Sweden were actually one and the same country for about 700 years, so it's no wonder ;) (Pity that isn't reflected in our Eurovision success rate! :p)
    But obviously there are differences, too (e.g. we do have some Eastern/Slavic influence especially in music, which the other Nordics don't have).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think almost everything I know about Europe comes from Eurovision and re-runs of Coach Trip (not ashamed!) :D

I'd love to go on Coach Trip. :blush:

I always thought they just went around France & Spain, I didn't realise they also went across the former Yugoslav block and the baltics too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finland and Sweden were actually one and the same country for about 700 years.

They should do a one off spin off edition for the 60th as Europe was in the 17th Century - that'd be amusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_map_1648.PNG
  • Options
    Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Booty luv wrote: »
    I was browsing youtube today to see if Ruth has done any more live performance of Dancing In the Rain that I could view. I could only find one but I think it defiantly getting better, still work to be done but she is getting control of the song slowly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLm627Qg8RQ

The solid 30 seconds of screaming towards the end of that song is just way too much..

I like the entry, but it could be so much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should do a one off spin off edition for the 60th as Europe was in the 17th Century - that'd be amusing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_map_1648.PNG

Look at Germany, what on Earth is going on there!? :o

Also Spanish Netherlands sounds like a bit of an oxymoron, I bet it's impossible to dance the flamenco in a pair of clogs. :p
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    I notice Crimea being separate on that map!!! :o
  • Options
    BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too bloody right!

Same here, most of my knowledge seems to come from Eurovision ... spoke to some Russian bloke on the phone the other week, colleagues were dead impressed when I said "Spasibo" at the end of the conversation :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the calendar for the last week of the NF Season :( (thanks to eurovisionireland.net for the information)

Tuesday March 11th
    GREECE

Tuesday March 11th – National Final 20:00 (CET)

MOLDOVA

Tuesday March 11th – Semi Final 1 of National Final

Wednesday March 12th
    GEORGIA

Wednesday March 12th – Song Presentation of “Three Minutes To Earth” by The Shin & Mariko

THE NETHERLANDS

Wednesday March 12th – Acoustic Song Presentation of “Calm After The Storm” by The Common Linnets

Thursday March 13th
    GERMANY

Thursday March 13th – National Final

THE NETHERLANDS

Thursday March 13th – Official Eurovision Version Song Presentation of “Calm After The Storm” by The Common Linnets

MOLDOVA

Thursday March 13th – Semi Final 2 of National Final

Friday March 14th
    ARMENIA

Friday March 14th - Song Presentation from Aram Mp3

SAN MARINO

Friday March 14th – Song Presentation from Valentina Monetta

Saturday March 15th
    PORTUGAL

Saturday March 15th – National Final – Festival da Canção 2014

MOLDOVA

Saturday March 15th – National Final

NORWAY

Saturday March 15th – National Final of Melodi Grand Prix

Sunday March 16th
    BELGIUM

Sunday March 16th – National Final – Eurosong
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    Azerbaijan and Georgia are both on the 15th of March.
  • Options
    da33431da33431 Posts: 48,932
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing Russia will 'present' at some point too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yugimuto1 wrote: »
    Azerbaijan and Georgia are both on the 15th of March.

I've got Georgia on Wednesday :confused:

Azerbaijan is 15th, yeah
  • Options
    Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    I've got Georgia on Wednesday :confused:

Azerbaijan is 15th, yeah
    Strange on escforum it says 15th.
This discussion has been closed.