Options

Would you vote for a party that pledged this?

Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
Forum Member
✭✭
If this party stood in the 2015 general election would you vote for them?

To have the following key national issues settled with national referendums:
  • A referendum on membership of the European Union
  • A referendum on regional devolution for England where all powers except those that critically need to be at a national level like immigration and defence.
  • To have referendums in Scotland, Wales and NI on the same premise.
  • A referendum on abolishing the house of lords and whether to replace it with an elected upper house.
  • A referendum on whether to maintain the nuclear deterrent.

Comments

• Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.
    There are more important questions I would need to ask the new Party to before we even got to your list:

1. Is IDS thinking of defecting to the new Party?
    2. Will you campaign against a Minimum Wage/Living wage and then pretend that you support it only after you have been defeated?
    3. How many Women would be in your cabinet if you were elected tomorrow?
    4. If you were in power with a Trillion pound debt would you borrow even more money to cut the top rate of income tax?
  • Options
    sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to Landis' extra questions....

5. Would you pledge to keep & improve the NHS and never privatise it?
    6. What would you do about bankers' bonuses, soaring energy bills, the huge cost of living etc?
    7. Would you tackle the issue of corporate corruption and multi-millionaire tax evasion?
    8. Would you serve and listen to the people on all issues instead of dictating to them?
    9. Would you tackle climate change, cut carbon emissions, and pledge more green/renewable energy & electric car production?
    10. Would you maintain the welfare state, and fairly - so that the genuine sick, disabled & unemployable are looked after, and genuine job seekers get all the help they require to find decent work?
    11. Would you pledge to build more affordable housing?
    12. Would you pledge to boost industry and create enough well paid jobs for everyone?
    13. Would you pledge to truly give everyone with natural talents a chance to be discovered, nurtured and become successful?
    14. Would you pledge to build more community centres for teenagers so they're not just hanging around on the streets?
    15. Would you pledge to abolish tuition fees, or at least reduce them to an absolute minimum?
    16. Would you pledge to properly punish corrupt politicians according to the law of the land, instead of e.g. just allowing them to just apologise for fraudulent expenses claims (i.e. abolish all forms of "one law for us, a different law for everyone else")?
    17. Would you denounce all forms of racism, xenophobia & discrimination, and pledge to make sure everyone is treated equally, regardless of gender, sexuality, colour, creed, nationality, religion, etc?
    18. Amendment to 2: Would you pledge to introduce a living wage and give employers the incentive to implement it?
    19. Would you pledge to the enactment of true transparency and abide by the freedom of information act so that there are no cover-ups or secrets (except for those that compromise national security)?
    20. Would you pledge to put the Great back in Britain again, put an end to the age of austerity, and offer hope & propserity instead of delivering destitution & despair?

And if you fail to deliver on a large proportion of your pledges, and there's mass protests as a result, would you allow the people to call for another general election at any point within your 5 year term?

[edit]

21. Would you pledge to stop interfering in international affairs that don't concern us?
    i.e. Yes, we'll play our part in the UN & NATO, like every other country, and we'll contribute to a peace-keeping force if required, but we'll stop pretending/acting like we're the world police.... let someone else waste billions on defence and cruise missiles that we'll never use instead....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should have been clearer the party would solely implement these policies with the regional devolution as the focus, if regional devolution went through all the issues you bring up would be dealt with by the regional parliaments if it didn't we'd clear out of office and let someone else do that shit.
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sangreal wrote: »
    In addition to Landis' extra questions....

5. Would you pledge to keep & improve the NHS and never privatise it?
    6. What would you do about bankers' bonuses, soaring energy bills, the huge cost of living etc?
    7. Would you tackle the issue of corporate corruption and multi-millionaire tax evasion?
    8. Would you serve and listen to the people on all issues instead of dictating to them?
    9. Would you tackle climate change, cut carbon emissions, and pledge more green/renewable energy & electric car production?
    10. Would you maintain the welfare state, and fairly - so that the genuine sick, disabled & unemployable are looked after, and genuine job seekers get all the help they require to find decent work?
    11. Would you pledge to build more affordable housing?
    12. Would you pledge to boost industry and create enough well paid jobs for everyone?
    13. Would you pledge to truly give everyone with natural talents a chance to be discovered, nurtured and become successful?
    14. Would you pledge to build more community centres for teenagers so they're not just hanging around on the streets?
    15. Would you pledge to abolish tuition fees, or at least reduce them to an absolute minimum?
    16. Would you pledge to properly punish corrupt politicians according to the law of the land, instead of e.g. just allowing them to just apologise for fraudulent expenses claims (i.e. abolish all forms of "one law for us, a different law for everyone else")?
    17. Would you denounce all forms of racism, xenophobia & discrimination, and pledge to make sure everyone is treated equally, regardless of gender, sexuality, colour, creed, nationality, religion, etc?
    18. Amendment to 2: Would you pledge to introduce a living wage and give employers the incentive to implement it?
    19. Would you pledge to the enactment of true transparency and abide by the freedom of information act so that there are no cover-ups or secrets (except for those that compromise national security)?
    20. Would you pledge to put the Great back in Britain again, put an end to the age of austerity, and offer hope & propserity instead of delivering destitution & despair?

And if you fail to deliver on a large proportion of your pledges, and there's mass protests as a result, would you allow the people to call for another general election at any point within your 5 year term?

You could have said - would you take us back to the bankrupt 70s please...

To the opinion, yes I would consider voting for such a party depending on the other policies.

House of lords is a difficult one for me though. In one hand it is fairly undemocratic in the other they often speak a lot more sense than many current mps.
  • Options
    sangrealsangreal Posts: 20,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ermm, actually.... no, I couldn't.
    Back to the bankrupt 70s? Where the hell do you get that from?
    Forward to the 21st century and beyond!
    Not back to the 80s or Victorian times like this current woeful & shameful government.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To the opinion, yes I would consider voting for such a party depending on the other policies..

The main idea is that these policies would be it's only policies as the key tenet is to get regional devolution in where regional governments would then be in control of most policy areas.
  • Options
    johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »
    The main idea is that these policies would be it's only policies as the key tenet is to get regional devolution in where regional governments would then be in control of most policy areas.

Sorry had a shell of a day at work:)

Yes I likely would.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I wouldn't vote for that party. This country has big enough bills to pay without the massive expense bills of calling in mps for debates and votes most people couldn't care less about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    No I wouldn't vote for that party. This country has big enough bills to pay without the massive expense bills of calling in mps for debates and votes most people couldn't care less about.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, it's 5 debates that and a 5 referendums and the referendums would most likely be held together on the same day as other elections to save costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what you are referring to here, it's 5 debates that and a 5 referendums and the referendums would most likely be held together on the same day as other elections to save costs.

That's an assumption and its unlikely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    That's an assumption and its unlikely.

Were talking about a hypothetical party's pledges if it makes you better answer the question how about we assume that the parties has a manifesto pledge to hold all 5 referendums on the same days as local elections in 2016.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://ericjoyce.co.uk/2014/03/scotland-foolish-no-campaign-is-morphing-into-the-nasty-campaign/

Westminster is run by weirdos, I honestly thought this had been put to bed, embarrassing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twogunthom wrote: »
    http://ericjoyce.co.uk/2014/03/scotland-foolish-no-campaign-is-morphing-into-the-nasty-campaign/

Westminster is run by weirdos, I honestly thought this had been put to bed, embarrassing.

How is this relevant to this thread?
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is this relevant to this thread?

wow how did I get in here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were talking about a hypothetical party's pledges if it makes you better answer the question how about we assume that the parties has a manifesto pledge to hold all 5 referendums on the same days as local elections in 2016.

As I said, no I wouldn't vote for that party. Their are far more important issues that may get me to vote for them but the ones that you mentioned are not things I care about.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, far too many referendums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toastie wrote: »
    No, far too many referendums.

It's not really that many and it would open up the floodgates for a new world in British politics where the Westminster dominance over our lives is crushed. Southern england could have a free market paradise while northern england could become a communist havana as the people in those regions would be governed by a much more localised form of government if the regional devolution referendums went through.
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't agree with referendums. As an electorate we elect a government (for better or worse and generally it's worse) so should give them the freedom govern in the way they see fit.
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really

Perhaps I should have been more specific, too many pointless referendums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    Don't agree with referendums. As an electorate we elect a government (for better or worse and generally it's worse) so should give them the freedom govern in the way they see fit.

Yes that makes perfect sense, it doesn't work so let's keep doing it. :rolleyes:

(What happenned to the rolleyes smily?)
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Yes that makes perfect sense, it doesn't work so let's keep doing it. :rolleyes:

I think you ask some good questions but have serious doubts about regionalism.

There are places in the South East which are, I think, in the European Deprivation Index. Margate and Ramsgate and possibly Hastings. They would be in an even worse position with a right wing South East Government. As for left wing policies in the North, genteel Harrogate and Ripon would be up in arms. The stereotypes don't work well.

I'm not overly keen on local authorities either. Some like mine are now often run administratively by people who were high up in the Civil Service and have many private company interests - many go on to business roles - while the cabinet of elected councillors behaves like MPs with very high salaries and expenses only on a local scale.

I think I am more for small scale community representation at the low level - parish councils but with less of the parish about them and rather more power - and then the devolved national Governments as they are and some European connection at the high level - a reformed EU in the interests of small businesses, the environment etc.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course it works. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is.
  • Options
    razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    It's not really that many and it would open up the floodgates for a new world in British politics where the Westminster dominance over our lives is crushed. Southern england could have a free market paradise while northern england could become a communist havana as the people in those regions would be governed by a much more localised form of government if the regional devolution referendums went through.

Both these alternatives are nightmares, we are better off with the present pragmatic compromises of either party but in reality I doubt whether either would come to pass as even politicians are not stupid enough to follow such a narrow path
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    razorboy wrote: »
    Both these alternatives are nightmares, we are better off with the present pragmatic compromises of either party but in reality I doubt whether either would come to pass as even politicians are not stupid enough to follow such a narrow path

I'd rather give the scope for that to happen than live in the north of england, as I do now, where my voice is ever more redundant. Scotland can elect to have free uni fees and prescriptions whilst I'm stuck with the southerners voting for 9,000 uni fees and expensive prescriptions. Where is my democratic right, regional government is a must for a modern Britain!
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I'd rather give the scope for that to happen than live in the north of england, as I do now, where my voice is ever more redundant. Scotland can elect to have free uni fees and prescriptions whilst I'm stuck with the southerners voting for 9,000 uni fees and expensive prescriptions. Where is my democratic right, regional government is a must for a modern Britain!

I haven't met anyone in the South who favours £9,000 university fees and expensive prescriptions. There may be a few on this forum though.

There might be some argument for an England Assembly so that an ENP can emerge with a practical, modest, remit for addressing such things. Leave all the bigger issues like immigration and flag waving to the UK Parliament or UKIP and Labcondem.