Anyone else had gout that lasted for ages?

Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have got very painful gout in my thumb of all places. I didn't realise you could get it anywhere else but your foot and my Dad was always getting it there and I had no idea just how painful it is.

I started having a slight pain in my thumb at Christmas time and I thought if I rested it, it would go away. However, it got worse and worse, and at the beginning of February it got so bad that I couldn't stand the pain and couldn't bear to move my thumb at all, I couldn't even managed to dress myself or cut up my food.

I always thought gout was something that old men got and that it was caused by drinking, but I am female and don't drink!

I saw the doctor and she sent me for a blood test which showed my levels of uric acid were high and that meant I had gout. I was given some tablets which helped a bit, but had to take more and this went on for several weeks. I finished the tablets two weeks ago and last weekend I was saying that it was almost back to normal. However, on Monday, it started up again and although the doctor has put me back on the tablets it has got so bad that on a scale of one to ten, I would say it is then.

I just wondered if anyone knew how long I could expect it to last or had any tips to help with it. I am taking tramodol and paracetomol for it as I can't take anything with aspirin for it so ibuprofen is also out of the question.

Comments

• fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hubby suffers from gout, in is toes, ankles and knees. Hes had it for about 15 years. He started taking allopurinol which gets rid of the uric acid, but it takes about a year, so hes in a lot of pain most of the time. But his bouts of gout could last 4 or 5 weeks before they ease and then come back several weeks later. We are hoping that the tablets will eventually get rid of it for good. Its is the most painful thing hes ever encountered!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a bottle of apple cider vinegar 'with mother'. Mix a couple of teaspoons with lukewarm water 3 times a day. Works wonders for gout.
  • lizbetlizbet Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you eat a lot of protein? I remember I went on the Atkins Diet once, and I had a really painfull foot/toes, I never got it properly diagnosed but after reading up about gout and some of the causes I'm sure thats what caused my foot pain. I also read that cherries are really good to flush uric acid out of you, but you cant get them just now, dont know if you can get juice. I have also read that Apple Cider Vinegar can be good too.:)
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lizbet wrote: »
    Do you eat a lot of protein? I remember I went on the Atkins Diet once, and I had a really painfull foot/toes, I never got it properly diagnosed but after reading up about gout and some of the causes I'm sure thats what caused my foot pain. I also read that cherries are really good to flush uric acid out of you, but you cant get them just now, dont know if you can get juice. I have also read that Apple Cider Vinegar can be good too.:)

No, I don't eat more protein than would be considered normal and hardly ever eat red meat. I have read up to see if diet plays a part in gout and I don't seem to be eating the wrong diet at all. My Dad had it a quite a lot of time in his foot and I have had cousins who have had it too and my doctor says it can be heriditary so I suppose that is the case with me.

I didn't know it could go on like this for months though. When my Dad used to have it, I can't remember it lasting for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

I have been taking some cherry capsules for it for about a week now, but it is probably early days to get any benifit from them yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Buy a bottle of apple cider vinegar 'with mother'. Mix a couple of teaspoons with lukewarm water 3 times a day. Works wonders for gout.

Thanks I will give it a try. With pain as bad as it is now, I am willing to try anything.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that if I take 25mg Diclofenac (Voltarol) with 30/500 co-codamol as soon as it comes on, it sometimes stops it in its tracks. I've heard about cherry juice but I think you need to drink a lot of it. Look out for it when it comes in as a Lidl special and buy as much as you can afford.

Also drink as much water as you can, as this helps to flush it out of your system. Are you by any chance taking any diuretics (sometimes prescribed for hypertension), as some of these can bring on a gout attack. I suffer far fewer gout attacks since I stopped taking doxazosin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I find that if I take 25mg Diclofenac (Voltarol) with 30/500 co-codamol as soon as it comes on, it sometimes stops it in its tracks. I've heard about cherry juice but I think you need to drink a lot of it. Look out for it when it comes in as a Lidl special and buy as much as you can afford.

Also drink as much water as you can, as this helps to flush it out of your system. Are you by any chance taking any diuretics (sometimes prescribed for hypertension), as some of these can bring on a gout attack. I suffer far fewer gout attacks since I stopped taking doxazosin.

No, I'm not taking diuretics and I am drinking a lot of water to flush it out. I can't take Diclofenic as it is not safe if you have stomach problems as I do. The only thing I did wonder about is that I am taking methatrexate and they suppress the immune system so I wonder if they are stopping the gout from going.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm not taking diuretics and I am drinking a lot of water to flush it out. I can't take Diclofenic as it is not safe if you have stomach problems as I do. The only thing I did wonder about is that I am taking methatrexate and they suppress the immune system so I wonder if they are stopping the gout from going.

Pain killers only deal with the symptoms anyway, not the cause. The ACV actively helps to get rid of the crystals that cause the pain, not mask the pain itself. :)
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several posters have mentioned cherry juice etc. The one that specifically mentions being therapeutic for gout os Cherry Active. See amazon reviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several posters have mentioned cherry juice etc. The one that specifically mentions being therapeutic for gout os Cherry Active. See amazon reviews.

Strangely I started taking Cherry Active capsules last year as it is supposed to be very good for general arthritis pain (which I have very badly) as well as gout. I took it for nine months and didn't notice any benefit so gave it up just before November last year. I still have a few capsules of it left so have started taking it again, but it hasn't helped yet. I had never had gout before I started taking it, so it makes me wonder if it is any good at all for me.