Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10164598/1/Beauty-The-Story-Continues

The above is a link to a fan fiction I am writing based on Beauty, with MC and Sienna Guillory back in 2004. It might not be your cup of tea, but I fell in love with the characters. It is, however rated M, but in a good way, not raunchy. I put it here, because as it's not Doc Martin fanfic it is hard to find. Give it a try if you're so inclined...Mo aka RumpyBumpy14.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the recent conversation about reactions to S6 here in the US and Australia--I recall much of the same kind of reaction to it when we watched it originally back in Sept from England. Then some time passed. People re-watched it and it seems to have grown on many of us. It is funny how I remember it as dark, but having just completed a re-watch myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the stories, both the dramatic and comedic parts, and the new look that the series had overall, especially the extended roles for Aunt Ruth, Al's working out his life bit, and Morwenna's new more mature role. But it all worked for me. Some for happy, some for sad, some for light and some for dark.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hark! Is anyone out there or have we all taken to the sidelines?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Hark! Is anyone out there or have we all taken to the sidelines?

Something.......Anything.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Something.......Anything.....

I've been stuck in a cold shower after reading your "Beauty" fanfic :blush:

Seriously, RL has eaten much of my time over the past week. Just dropped in quickly today hoping to catch up...however not much here to catch up on, evidently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    I've been stuck in a cold shower after reading your "Beauty" fanfic :blush:

Seriously, RL has eaten much of my time over the past week. Just dropped in quickly today hoping to catch up...however not much here to catch up on, evidently.

Perfect Lizzie...wait until you see the next chapter. It even makes me blush. I'm having a great time writing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Perfect Lizzie...wait until you see the next chapter. It even makes me blush. I'm having a great time writing it.

Yikes! :p
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

While we had a landslide last week, this week's survey is really up for grabs with one day left. So, if you haven't voted yet, make sure to get your vote in!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since reading "Arthur & George" about Arthur Conan Doyle, book focusing on the appeal process of George Edalji (a son of a Parsee, an Indian who had married an English wife), it peaked my interest in the life of ACD who I knew very little other than the writer of Sherlock Holmes stories. A relative told me if you want to have a fast read about a famous person, go to the young adult section of your library to locate a book. I am almost through a book "The Man Who Hated Sherlock Holmes - A Life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle" by James Playsted Wood published 1965, 180 pages. This is a biography based on varied writings of ACD's novels and short stories, histories, etc. If there was ever a person MC should portray it is ACD. The book describes him as a giant of a man, heavyweight boxer, cricketer, football player, a man of action, surging with unquenchable vitality. . . He was a doctor who, after early adventures in medicine and some years of successful practice in the south of England, studied in Vienna, and set up an eye surgeon practice in London. He wrote many other novels besides Sherlock Holmes, which I did not know. The mention of Jean Leckie comes with the fact that he knew her after a decade of friendship and married her after the death of his first wife. Touie. After what we know about the man Martin Clunes and the part he has played for over 10 years as Martin Ellingham, he is ripe for the part of Arthur Conan Doyle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S2E4 Aromatherapy

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html

Be sure to check out the new Trivia page that is being created for each episode as we eliminate them!

Last week's episode trivia page: http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS4E4.html

(Good suggestions from several people for "driving" in "Driving Mr McLynn"!)
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    RL has been keeping me away too. I am proud and happy to say that I have just started a new job, but that leaves less time for DM-related activities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am down to the last 20 pages or so, and have really enjoyed the book. Julian Barnes' command of the English language is very appealing and I've had my emotions tugged to and fro in wanting to see George get justice. I really do want to see MC play ACD, too. I can only guess it will be somewhere near the quality of Good-bye Mr. Chips. Such a robust character.

I am really curious as to whether CC would play Touie or Jean? Jean was fair and so CC doesn't really fit the physical look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am down to the last 20 pages or so, and have really enjoyed the book. Julian Barnes' command of the English language is very appealing and I've had my emotions tugged to and fro in wanting to see George get justice. I really do want to see MC play ACD, too. I can only guess it will be somewhere near the quality of Good-bye Mr. Chips. Such a robust character.

I am really curious as to whether CC would play Touie or Jean? Jean was fair and so CC doesn't really fit the physical look.

According to the ACD book I am almost finished reading, James P. Wood describes Jean as someone who ACD had known for well over a decade and who was a close friend of his mother and sister. She was an expert horsewoman who had studied voice in Germany and Italy and was the youngest daughter of a Scottish family. Depending on how Jean will be portrayed, I think horse riding lessons by MC are in order. It has been mentioned CC sings but I don't think it is the caliber of a highly trained voice, just her natural talent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing my bit to try to get this forum talking :p

I'm gradually redoing the screenshots for the wardrobes and noticed something that I hadn't previously noticed. All of DM's suit coats have three buttons, but every time you see a full body shot of him, the bottom button is ALWAYS undone. Watching as I do these to see if he ever buttons that third button.

Also trying to capture the times he leaves it completely unbuttoned. The times I have noticed so far (I've only done the episodes that have been thrown out of "Survivor"):
    • S1E3 While talking in Radio Portwenn ("I need to pee" appearance)
    • S1E3 When we was in his kitchen and Bert brought him the bottled water
    • S1E3 His "date" with Louisa when Mark cornered him
    • S5E3 on the sofa reading to JH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    According to the ACD book I am almost finished reading, James P. Wood describes Jean as someone who ACD had known for well over a decade and who was a close friend of his mother and sister. She was an expert horsewoman who had studied voice in Germany and Italy and was the youngest daughter of a Scottish family. Depending on how Jean will be portrayed, I think horse riding lessons by MC are in order. It has been mentioned CC sings but I don't think it is the caliber of a highly trained voice, just her natural talent.

Well, I suppose it will all depend on how much of the book is in the script and how much is left out. If the main story is about George and Arthur's interaction over the case, then Touie is dead by then. And only Jean exists in Arthur's life.

But if they visit bits throughout about both men's lives like the book, anything is possible. Of course, Jean could be played by a blond wigged or dyed CC. And there's the off-chance CC could play Arthur's mother, if aged cosmetically. Or George's sister, Maud. But that would seem too small a role. :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »

I'm gradually redoing the screenshots for the wardrobes and noticed something that I hadn't previously noticed. All of DM's suit coats have three buttons, but every time you see a full body shot of him, the bottom button is ALWAYS undone. Watching as I do these to see if he ever buttons that third button.

Also trying to capture the times he leaves it completely unbuttoned. The times I have noticed so far (I've only done the episodes that have been thrown out of "Survivor"):

Shop Girl, you never cease to amaze me! So very cool....crazy.....and nice for us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, I suppose it will all depend on how much of the book is in the script and how much is left out. If the main story is about George and Arthur's interaction over the case, then Touie is dead by then. And only Jean exists in Arthur's life.

But if they visit bits throughout about both men's lives like the book, anything is possible. Of course, Jean could be played by a blond wigged or dyed CC. And there's the off-chance CC could play Arthur's mother, if aged cosmetically. Or George's sister, Maud. But that would seem too small a role. :confused::confused::confused:

Again, will the made for TV movie go by the book or the stage adaptation? I finally got my hands on a copy of the stage play and while the play is based on the book, the play only covers a segment of the story from the book, and really only revolves around the interaction between George, Arthur, Jean and Maud. It's actually much different than the book.

And I don't think it will matter that CC is a brunette if she plays Jean.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member

Shop Girl, no one ever buttons the last button on a 3-button suit. The rules (which you can Google) are Sometimes, Always, Never:

SOMETIMES button the top button

ALWAYS button the middle button

NEVER button the bottom button

And of course, our good doctor knows and obeys these rules! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl, you never cease to amaze me! So very cool....crazy.....and nice for us.

Are you calling me crazy? You wouldn't be the first! :D

Sometimes I think so too - but then I never had a desire to be "normal".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Shop Girl, no one ever buttons the last button on a 3-button suit. The rules (which you can Google) are Sometimes, Always, Never:

SOMETIMES button the top button

ALWAYS button the middle button

NEVER button the bottom button

And of course, our good doctor knows and obeys these rules! :D

Of course he does! Thanks for clearing that up Zarwen!

From now on, every time I see a man in a suit I will test the theory. I can't believe I never paid attention to this before, after a 40 year career in banking being surrounded by men in suits!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, will the made for TV movie go by the book or the stage adaptation? I finally got my hands on a copy of the stage play and while the play is based on the book, the play only covers a segment of the story from the book, and really only revolves around the interaction between George, Arthur, Jean and Maud. It's actually much different than the book.

Other than the hair color CC sounds like Jean.....long faced.....hazel eyed....and had some embarrassment that she had long and large teeth....Caroline has that dazzling white smile..maybe back in the age it wasn't considered attractive. If the Mam is in the play I hope it will be one of the bawdy, marvelous, older lady actresses that come from Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lizzie, Thanks for this info. I didn't realize there was a play based on the book, so I appreciate knowing what it covered. I do so hope CC does play Jean. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you calling me crazy? You wouldn't be the first! :D

Sometimes I think so too - but then I never had a desire to be "normal".

And we are so happy to accommodate your desire! :):) You just keep keeping on, girl!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin did two radio shows today, March 24.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01sz3cx
    and
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03y3z9r

Shop Girl has links on Portwennonline site, too.
This discussion has been closed.