Options

How/Why did jessica Garlick do so well?

MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
Forum Member
Please don't shoot me down its an honest question

I wasn't in the UK then and I know everyone says that the UK never do well, but I think she performed 2nd and finished in equal 3rd place which is pretty impressive

I think its a good song but was wondering how it impressed many other countries

I see the year after was Jemini with zero points (shame as I did like that song but omg was so out of tune!)

Comments

• Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it was a good song sung really well, we probably would have gotten way more points had we have gone on later possibly putting us in line for a win
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That money moment Come BAAAAAAAACK! was amazing. I think the reprise being backwards helped a lot too, especially as the phone lines used to open at the end of it not the beginning.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    OIC so it really was all about the song! Cheers :)
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She didn't have too much competition either. 2001 and 2002 are my 2 least favourite years of Eurovision.
  • Options
    JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea. To me it was a very lame and boring song. Like Denmark, who finished last
  • Options
    Alan_ColeAlan_Cole Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessica Garlick gave a very confident performance, had a very powerful voice which suited a big ballad, and the song was classy..
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quality song performed excellently(hideous outfit tho)
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    One thing that helped Jessica in my opinion, was that this was one of a few years in the early 2000s when the recap was presented in reverse order; i.e. "Come back" was the second-last song shown.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    One thing that helped Jessica in my opinion, was that this was one of a few years in the early 2000s when the recap was presented in reverse order; i.e. "Come back" was the second-last song shown.

Something they ought to bring back!
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Hmm, I think that's just confusing (i.e. a reverse recap), and I can't believe it'd really affect votes that much...
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quality song performed excellently(hideous outfit tho)

I always remember that hideous outfit too....she was like a prostitute pocahontas:blush:

However, she gave a great vocal of a great song so doesn't surprise why she did so well.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she had a decent song, could sing and, importantly, was young and hot ! Then we sent Andy Abraham, Daz Sampson, Engelbert Humperdinck and Bonnie Tyler and wondered why the good people of Europe didn't pick up their phones.
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessica Garlick did everything right (well except the outfit), her song was really good and it stuck in your head. From what I can remember she only had one bum note but recovered well.

I've said this many times but Jessica Garlick needs another shot at the Eurovision crown.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Because it was a good song sung really well, we probably would have gotten way more points had we have gone on later possibly putting us in line for a win

In my opinion 'I Wanna' was one of the worst winners ever. The UK and Estonia were my favourites that year, in fact I preferred Sahlene's 'Runaway' to the Estonian winner from the previous year 'Everybody'.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Just heard the winning song again, it was rubbish. Ours and Estonia's were my favourites that year.
  • Options
    FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    In my opinion 'I Wanna' was one of the worst winners ever. The UK and Estonia were my favourites that year, in fact I preferred Sahlene's 'Runaway' to the Estonian winner from the previous year 'Everybody'.

I agree, I still scratch my head how Latvia won that year. It was extremely poorly performed imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The staging won it for Latvia
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, I still scratch my head how Latvia won that year. It was extremely poorly performed imo.

The worst thing about Latvia's victory was that it denied Malta the win they'd craved for so long with the marvellous '7th Wonder'.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK, Malta, Estonia Israel and France were all incredible this year and that dirge won:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its also worth noting that Latvia only managed to take part due to internal bickering at RTP meaning Portugal had to miss out.
  • Options
    MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    The worst thing about Latvia's victory was that it denied Malta the win they'd craved for so long with the marvellous '7th Wonder'.

I agree, they were robbed.
  • Options
    spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may aswell bring her back to try again to be honest.

I found the song extremely dull but agree she sang it well - so personally I think it must be down to that?

Back then did they perform on tv shows in other european countries to get more interest before the live final?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back then did they perform on tv shows in other european countries to get more interest before the live final?

Don't think so - but then people may not have realised the benefits of pan-European promotion as televoting was still in its infancy to a large extent back then.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Don't think so - but then people may not have realised the benefits of pan-European promotion as televoting was still in its infancy to a large extent back then.
    Well, the "benefits" of promotion are actually nonexistent, it doesn't seem to affect the results anyway...