The Tennis Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if that had anything to do with it (she had match points against Capriati at the AO a few years later).

Anyway, she has just won the doubles at Miami :D Which means she has won tournaments on both her comebacks (and 18 or 19 years after her first title).

I know. She didn't convert any of them. I think she had 4. Of course it could be related.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, whoever posted the Serena/Hingis also won IW in 99. Thats just amazing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Miami 99 Hingis won doubles. Venus won singles...
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Heather playing anywhere this week or is she still injured?
  • deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is Rafa's Presser after the match, For all the people that think Rafa makes excuses if you read this you will see the stupid press bring up his health asking him if he is 100% Fit and he says he is fine, I wonder if sometimes the press are putting words into his mouth that he has never said.

http://rafaelnadalfans.com/2014/03/31/interview-with-rafael-nadal-i-like-challenges-but-i-am-not-stupid/#more-19936
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    This is Rafa's Presser after the match, For all the people that think Rafa makes excuses if you read this you will see the stupid press bring up his health asking him if he is 100% Fit and he says he is fine, I wonder if sometimes the press are putting words into his mouth that he has never said.

http://rafaelnadalfans.com/2014/03/31/interview-with-rafael-nadal-i-like-challenges-but-i-am-not-stupid/#more-19936

Very gracious in defeat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member

Not putting words into his mouth I would think. But what they do frequently is take part of what was said and use it to give their story whatever slant they want to give it. Also, when English is not your mother tongue confusion can arise and the wrong impression is often given. Nadal's English is poor so that doesn't help I'm sure. Not everyone is a linguist. (NB. This is not a criticism, I find the way he tries to speak English quite endearing).

Love his comment "I like a challenge but I'm not stupid" when asked if he likes having Djokovic around :)
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Very gracious in defeat.

He's always gracious in defeat. I've never known him not to be regardless of what people say. He acknowledges when he's beaten by the better person all the time. He never took the defeat by Soderling away from him until a week later when he pulled out if Queens due to injury. The same with Rosol when after Wimbledon and into late July, nearly a month after losing he pulled out of the Olympics. As I said disagree all you want but I've never known him to ever blame injuries etc on defeats. He's always very gracious in defeat.
    rita1 wrote: »
    Not putting words into his mouth I would think. But what they do frequently is take part of what was said and use it to give their story whatever slant they want to give it. Also, when English is not your mother tongue confusion can arise and the wrong impression is often given. Nadal's English is poor so that doesn't help I'm sure. Not everyone is a linguist. (NB. This is not a criticism, I find the way he tries to speak English quite endearing).

Love his comment "I like a challenge but I'm not stupid" when asked if he likes having Djokovic around :)

I would imagine his english being bad is the main reason they try to make up a quote to fit a story. The media do it not just in sport but in celebs lives in general. As ive said he's always gracious in defeat and it can be taking out of context a lot if what he says due to the dialect. I find his attempts to speak English endearing too. I love the way he says 'surfrace' instead of 'surface' and 'touristic' is funny. He always words things wrong but its quite funny hearing him try to find the word for something.

The Djokovic comment was funny. Its obvious he'd have won more if Novak wasn't around. He have another Wimbledon, US Open, Monte Carlo and he'd have 2 Miami's. Plus more of course. Novak is the biggest challenge for Rafa by far, just like Roger would say Rafa has been for him. If Rafa wasn't around Roger would have won a whole lot more that's for sure.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The winners point is rather simplistic - much of Rafa's style is to drag his opponents around the baseline, putting them into awkward positions and effectively forcing errors from their racket. Obviously Rafa won't hit as many outright winners (mainly putaways and high margin dropshots when the opponent is well out of court). A forced errors stat would be useful for his matches.

I was thinking this, but I couldn't quite figure out how to phrase it, I can't disagree with attackmusic exactly, stats are stats, but the number of winners doesn't really reflect how well Rafa is playing, like you said it would be good to look at the forced error count too.

He acknowledges that he was a step behind Novak all the way. Basically Novak did everything better than him, which is why I found his performance last night dissapointing, there wasn't a single thing that Rafa did better than Novak. I find Rafa quite pragmatic about his performances, he doesn't sugar coat things, when he is outplayed he says so.

He is a lot more eloquent in spanish, I like to read translations of his pressers if I can find them, he is able to answer fully, he could do with a broader vocab in English, though he speaks it well enough.

I have read on many occassions Rafa refusing to talk about injuries, but it's a storyline for the headlines, and the press are just trying to coax a good quote out of him and everybody else. More often than not, the press bring up injuries not him.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Is Heather playing anywhere this week or is she still injured?

I believe she was supposed to play Charleston qualies but she's still injured. :( Her next tournament is Katowice (qualies).
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I believe she was supposed to play Charleston qualies but she's still injured. :( Her next tournament is Katowice (qualies).

Thank You. I hope she recovers soon as she was doing really well.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Thank You. I hope she recovers soon as she was doing really well.

Yeah she was doing well so it is frustrating isn't it?

Sharapova has slipped to number 9 in the rankings :o

Nadal and Djokovic are now the champions of the last 9 Masters 1000 tournaments, which is very consistent. As much as I love Murray I can't imagine him being able to achieve this even if he got back to full fitness, he's just a bit too up and down. Clay is his downfall really.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nadal and Djokovic are now the champions of the last 9 Masters 1000 tournaments, which is very consistent. As much as I love Murray I can't imagine him being able to achieve this even if he got back to full fitness, he's just a bit too up and down. Clay is his downfall really.
    And she'll probably slip further, defending 2795 points between here and RG. I reckon she should be able to defend a lot of these points. She's starting to play well again, and she'll be playing on her best surface. She'll probably drop to the 9-16 seed range for RG, but I reckon this won't be too damaging unless she's in Serena's half.

Sad as it may seem, that'll surely be her one hope for RG, to avoid Serena's half and pray someone else will take her out.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know when Laura is coming back?
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's always gracious in defeat. I've never known him not to be regardless of what people say. He acknowledges when he's beaten by the better person all the time. He never took the defeat by Soderling away from him until a week later when he pulled out if Queens due to injury. The same with Rosol when after Wimbledon and into late July, nearly a month after losing he pulled out of the Olympics. As I said disagree all you want but I've never known him to ever blame injuries etc on defeats. He's always very gracious in defeat.

I would imagine his english being bad is the main reason they try to make up a quote to fit a story. The media do it not just in sport but in celebs lives in general. As ive said he's always gracious in defeat and it can be taking out of context a lot if what he says due to the dialect. I find his attempts to speak English endearing too. I love the way he says 'surfrace' instead of 'surface' and 'touristic' is funny. He always words things wrong but its quite funny hearing him try to find the word for something.

The Djokovic comment was funny. Its obvious he'd have won more if Novak wasn't around. He have another Wimbledon, US Open, Monte Carlo and he'd have 2 Miami's. Plus more of course. Novak is the biggest challenge for Rafa by far, just like Roger would say Rafa has been for him. If Rafa wasn't around Roger would have won a whole lot more that's for sure.
    :D

We heard you the first time ;-)
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Apparently Katowice will be shown on Eurosport.

Noledal domination of the Masters is pretty depressing...no wonder they're both well clear of the field. Even if one or two of the big four is KO'd prematurely, the others sweep up.

With Delpo out, it'll be up to Fed, Stan and Andy to end the Noledal monopoly. Stan could potentially do something on clay, but he's been very up and down since the AO. Fed can make deep runs on clay but will eventually bump into Rafa. Andy's a better bet for the second half of the year (Toronto, Cincy, Shanghai etc).
    And she'll probably slip further, defending 2795 points between here and RG. I reckon she should be able to defend a lot of these points. She's starting to play well again, and she'll be playing on her best surface. She'll probably drop to the 9-16 seed range for RG, but I reckon this won't be too damaging unless she's in Serena's half.

Sad as it may seem, that'll surely be her one hope for RG, to avoid Serena's half and pray someone else will take her out.
    Hmm. Maria could land in Serena's section and be bounced out in R4. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love it ;)
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member

I suppose it depends on what you actually mean. It's more than possible for Andy (or anybody) to win the hardcourt MS titles and have Rafa clean up on clay. Therefore having 2 people share the MS events

Unless you mean win all the MS events on their own, which no one has ever done
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    Love it ;)
    It's all in good fun :p
    What happened to waiting until after the DC tie? Part of me smells a delayed April Fool.

I hope it's a left-field choice.
    I suppose it depends on what you actually mean. It's more than possible for Andy (or anybody) to win the hardcourt MS titles and have Rafa clean up on clay. Therefore having 2 people share the MS events

Possible, but not that likely. Andy's never won more than 2 Masters in a year.

It'd be nice to add Paris to his collection of HC Masters. Almost given up on IW at this point - a clay MS is probably more likely.
  • Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No player has ever won every HC Masters title in the same year. I would say the possibility of Murray becoming the first is extremely unlikely.

I think attackmusic meant that only Nole and Rafa holding all 9 titles together at the same time shows how far ahead of the field they are. Plus, I don't think there's been a situation where only 2 players held all 9 at the same time. I might be wrong there but I don't think so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    No player has ever won every HC Masters title in the same year. I would say the possibility of Murray becoming the first is extremely unlikely.

I think attackmusic meant that only Nole and Rafa holding all 9 titles together at the same time shows how far ahead of the field they are. Plus, I don't think there's been a situation where only 2 players held all 9 at the same time. I might be wrong there but I don't think so.
    Ooh, good question. I think the closest we've come in the recent past was 2005, where Fed and Nadal had a run of eight Masters in a row. The only one that escaped their grasp was Paris (Safin won in 2004 and Berdych in 2005).
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Nathers7 wrote: »

True, but Andy could win 2/3 and Rafa win the others (granted this would have to be next year now Nole has IW and Miami)
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Maria could land in Serena's section and be bounced out in R4. :p

Which is what I'm scared of! Whether you like her or not, it would be a great shame to see the second-best clay courter on tour out in the 4th round.

Obviously I'm getting ahead of myself though. We've no idea what'll happen in the clay season yet.
  • shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha!!!:) I did repeat that a few too many times in that post didn't I:D ? I tend to do that!!!!:blush:

P.S Is anyone else's DS clock still wrong. My posts are showing up as an hour behind each time I post.
This discussion has been closed.