Options

Sunday Trading Law Outdated and needs Scrapping?

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    Those places can open 24/7 365 days a week if they like. There is no law stopping them from doing so. Retail is the only industry that has this law put upon it. However, it only applies to physical stores though, online traders can, and do, trade 24/7/365.

I work every Sunday, there is no public transport here either on a Sunday (and it's very sparse in the week too!). Luckily, work isn't far from where I live, so I either walk or get a lift.
    Again, public transport, can run on a Sunday if they wish to, there is no law stopping, or restricting them from doing so.

Are you also campaigning for sunday bus services to run.?
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And I don't understand who can't purchase everything they need in the 166 hours a week supermarkets are open

Tell that to those that browse, buy or sell thing online at 11pm on a Sunday, 3am on a Sunday or any other time of any other day.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't because it's their choice - and that's the whole point!

Without the law, retailers may keep to the same restricted hours. The whole point is they don't have that choice and every other industry does. Simple as that.

Do you think retailers' websites should only be open when their store(s) are open too?

It maybe the point, but those services are a benefit, more so than a shop opening longer. With Dr's, Banks, Mail, Public Transport etc not opening or running it shows what contempt those practices have for the general public, a far greater concern than the current retail Sunday trading laws, but people seem to be content with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you also campaigning for sunday bus services to run.?

There's been a lot of campaigning around here to get a better bus service as so many people have complained and there is a need for a regular, reliable bus service. Yes, I have been part of it. There's been meetings with the council and bus companies, I have been to them, filled in questionnaires and told the council exactly what I thought of them withdrawing funding for some of the service, also to the bus companies that think one bus going 3 miles down the road every 2 hours between 9.45 and 5.45, 6 days a week is not enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a lot of campaigning around here to get a better bus service as so many people have complained and there is a need for a regular, reliable bus service. Yes, I have been part of it. There's been meetings with the council and bus companies, I have been to them, filled in questionnaires and told the council exactly what I thought of them withdrawing funding for some of the service, also to the bus companies that think one bus going 3 miles down the road every 2 hours between 9.45 and 5.45, 6 days a week is not enough.

Well done i congratulate you for that.

Yes lots of councils are withdrawing funding for local bus services which are not commercial.

I often have a dialogue with my local council and in one case MP.:)
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    By just making the one generally less busier day into just another day for commerce, and shopping with busier roads and all that goes with it.

By the way France is quiter then the UK if you go into small towns literally nothing is open on a sunday and the quality of life is good.

We are far to consumed with commerce in the UK.

But it isn't as if Sunday is completely closed for business at the moment, and a relaxation of the trading hours thus would cause a stampede in that vein. Sundays are already a day of shopping for many, and a relaxation of the trading hours restriction wouldn't have as much impact as you fear in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    But it isn't as if Sunday is completely closed for business at the moment, and a relaxation of the trading hours thus would cause a stampede in that vein. Sundays are already a day of shopping for many, and a relaxation of the trading hours restriction wouldn't have as much impact as you fear in my opinion.

No you may well be right.

Its just my view its also my view that the law will eventually be amended on the issue at one point or another.

Your view may be the one that prevails i am not pretending my point of view is the definitive one.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been times on a Sunday when I've wished there was a shop open, but I wouldn't personally choose to have normal opening hours on Sunday.

I'd quite like it if shops were closed all day Sunday, so we could have one day of every week that is guaranteed shop free. We'd just have to make sure we plan ahead a bit and then have Sunday to enjoy the peace and quiet, instead of the hustle and bustle. Not everyone will agree of course. :)

Why?

If you want a shop free Sunday, you can - just don't go to any shop on a Sunday. What everyone else does with their day, is up to them and none of your business.

Sundays aren't quiet for me as I work every Sunday. Today, I'm having a quiet day as it's my day off. Am I saying that you should have a quiet day today just because I am? No. Your life, you do what you want with it, just don't dictate what you want other people to do purely because it works for you.

Shall we have an internet free day too? Or a TV free day? I don't watch TV on a Thursday, so why would anyone else want to. Just the same logic you're using.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How on earth did society manage before all these extended hours, and it's not like fridges and freezers are a new invention either.

How on earth did we manage without the internet? Same principle.

Should the 24 hours that is a Sunday be internet free too?

In reference to fridges and freezers, food shops and supermarkets are not the only retailers. I don't get why supermarkets are always singled out in Sunday trading debates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Then add a law which gives employees the right to choose not to work on Sundays (which may already be the case now?).

I've no doubt that there would be plenty of people CHOOSING to work on Sundays, weekends, etc. to fill demand.

Indeed, for a lot of people (e.g. Students) it's the only time they can work.

(Although, as I've pointed out previously, very few shops will actually change their opening hours.)

There already is - https://www.gov.uk/sunday-working.

That is another that needs scrapping.

Can I refuse to work a Tuesday? What's the difference between working Sunday to Tuesday? It's a day of the week ending in a y.

For those that don't know all the restictions, and exemptions within the Sunday trading law, here the Sunday trading law - https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    none of these are good reasons why the laws should be in place. with a bit of smart thinking some of the things you mention need not happen. some stores do open 24 hours, but they have staff working different shift rota's. so staff don't need to work longer hours necessarily. 24/7/365 places also need to stock check. if it takes X hours to stockcheck you can start your stockcheck at an appropriate time to end at an appropriate time, likewise cleaning and pricing. you can work around customers. perhaps if the store was open longer then the night shift staff could undertake some of those tasks when the store was quieter.

as for boxing day shopping, it's not a case of people needing to shop, or needing to buy probably most of the items sold in a supermarket. it's a case of the store and manufacturers promoting items for sale, and people wanting to buy them. it's a desire to purchase that creates profits for the store that allows them to retain in business and keep staff in jobs.

remember also that whilst some people may not want to work on sundays, or Saturdays or Fridays or evenings or mornings or daytimes or whenever, there are people who do. there are millions of people out of work who would love those jobs. there are many more who find days like sundays boring and would prefer to work a sunday and have a Friday/Saturday weekend instead, or other days off, or rotate days off. opening hours of businesses should not be restricted simply because of people like you or your mum who don't like the idea personally, even though others would benefit from it

Please tell me where I said the law shouldn't change because I don't like it? We were asked an opinion on it and I gave it. And I also didn't say my mum.

All of the major supermarkets now have convenience stores to get around the law. I just don't see the need to change that now that's all.

If it happens it's no skin off my nose
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of the major supermarkets now have convenience stores to get around the law. I just don't see the need to change that now that's all.

Supermarkets are not the only retailers.

You don't see a need to change the restricted 6 hours (which ave to be between certain hours of the day) so why should it change, yeah?

It shouldn't be upto you, me or the law to decide as and when a retailer should or needs to trade. Each retailer should have the choice as to when they wish to open and to suite their customer needs. Every other industry has this choice, retail is the only one that doesn't. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Can you not see the contradiction in the statement above?

To paraphrase:- "The law doesn't need to change because the retailers have ways of getting around it"

It becomes a pointless law then, and should just be done away with, wouldn't you agree?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Supermarkets are not the only retailers.

You don't see a need to change the restricted 6 hours (which ave to be between certain hours of the day) so why should it change, yeah?

It shouldn't be upto you, me or the law to decide as and when a retail should or needs to trade. Each retailer should have the choice as to when they wish to open and to suite their customer needs. Every other industry has this choice, retail is the only one that doesn't. It's as simple as that.

We were all asked an opinion, I have simply given mine. I'm not going around thinking mine is the only one that should be listened to, I just think that there isn't a need for it. I'm not saying it shouldn't happen though. What exactly is the problem? It's just an opinion, like you have yours.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please tell me where I said the law shouldn't change because I don't like it?

show me where I said you said that - I didn't

We were asked an opinion on it and I gave it. And I also didn't say my mum.

yes you did, line 3 of the post I quoted, which starts "
    I can only speak from what my mum"

If it happens it's no skin off my nose

so if it's no skin off your nose, then do you make so many posts on the topic? perhaps now you see why the law is out dated?
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How on earth did we manage without the internet? Same principle.

Should the 24 hours that is a Sunday be internet free too?

In reference to fridges and freezers, food shops and supermarkets are not the only retailers. I don't get why supermarkets are always singled out in Sunday trading debates.

it's mainly because the law in question relates to stores over a particular size having restrictions which don't apply to smaller stores, and most stores over the size in question are supermarkets. of course large B&Q and PC World, Currys, Ikea are affected by the law too, and as many of those stores are on the outskirts of towns it's more convenient for many people to visit them at a weekend, the time when many people have a lot to pack in, and would perhaps prefer to do other things during the sunshine hours of the day and visit the shops on the way back from a trip or in the park etc
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    We have people who would really like to work in a supermarket to earn some cash. Why not allow people to do so if it would be economically viable? It's only a matter of time until the laws are changed, I reckon. It's supposed to be because of religious observance but I was VERY surprised that a religious country like Ireland has 24 opening 7 days' a week for large supermarkets.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight I wanted some chocolate and with tesco just round the corner, I went to set off. It hit me it was 7pm on a sunday and with no convenience stores in walking distance I decided to not bother.

I want to see what the general view point is on this law.
    In my opinion it's very much outdated and believe people should be able to shop on a sunday evening if they want to be. I know many people who work long hours during the week and sunday evening would be ideal.

Poll Options
    Yes - needs scrapping
    No - It's perfectly fine.
    I don't care

http://www.cityam.com/article/1395633782/sunday-trading-laws-are-outdated-we-must-extend-opening-hours

This article suggests from a poll that the majority of people believe we should shop when it's convenient on a sunday.

Will opening longer hours on a sunday boost the economy? More jobs?

EDIT: unsure how you add a poll:blush: i thought i had done it:blush::blush::blush:

Spoken like someone who has never worked in retail, you expect everything to be open but probaly don't give a fig about those who you expect to be ready to wait on you spending your miserable 65p on a piece of manufactured shite, here is a tip go earlier or better still lay of the chocolate and contact Diet Chef.
  • Options
    Leonw3™Leonw3™ Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Sundays are seen as 'archaic' in England and Wales, watch what happens on Sunday 20th April...
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    I have not seen or heard the shops campaigning about this, so they themselves don't seem that keen, just a few moaning shoppers. Well don't worry you will all stave and go without a lot of things in a few weeks time. I bet some people will be a so bored that sunday because the shops will be closed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoken like someone who has never worked in retail, you expect everything to be open but probaly don't give a fig about those who you expect to be ready to wait on you spending your miserable 65p on a piece of manufactured shite, here is a tip go earlier or better still lay of the chocolate and contact Diet Chef.

How ironic. Assuming.

I work in retail, 5 years thank you.
    I know plenty of people who will be willing to work Sunday evenings. Most treat it as any other day.

If the consumer wants to shop on a Sunday evening , the consumer should have the choice not some outdated law preventing them from making that choice

Here's a tip next time don't assume, it makes an ass of yourself
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    I have not seen or heard the shops campaigning about this, so they themselves don't seem that keen, just a few moaning shoppers. Well don't worry you will all stave and go without a lot of things in a few weeks time. I bet some people will be a so bored that sunday because the shops will be closed.

Sadly some people are very selfish ,They are not at work but not care that if a shop is open that people will have to work,and not have a day with the family like they are>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    unique wrote: »
    show me where I said you said that - I didn't

yes you did, line 3 of the post I quoted, which starts "
    I can only speak from what my mum"

so if it's no skin off your nose, then do you make so many posts on the topic? perhaps now you see why the law is out dated?

What I said was I can only speak from why my mum has told me with regards to the points I have made, how long stocktakes take in her store etc, not her personal opinion on them.

I talk about it because I want to, and no I don't see why the law is outdated. You're the one making the issue, plenty of others have said they don't think it's outdated, go bother them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly some people are very selfish ,They are not at work but not care that if a shop is open that people will have to work,and not have a day with the family like they are>:(

How do you know people aren't willing to work those hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member

That is just pure nonsense. There are many, many people who not only work Sundays, but are happy to work Sundays, or work them as part of a rotating shift pattern etc.