Options

The Anna Mistake

13»

Comments

• Options
    alfaalfa Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she probably does not need the Voice now she has got some exposure.
    This.

She'll be the first of this lot with an album out.
  • Options
    Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish people would stop harping on about Anna.

Harping
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    But actually I think I understand why...it's why Leverne went in the previous round too. Anna = Sophie = quirky girl...one had to go for the show to focus their attention on and not split any potential vote. That was the brutal decision that was made...Leah was too quirky last year and that would have polarised her fan base.. We have Sophie who can do all sorts of quirky things while getting the votes from the suitable demo. It's either that or my theory #2 - they want a Sally win this year for some reason and want to get rid of her competition.

It's so sad though...I nearly cried seeing Anna go...but I knew it had to happen.:cry:

I don't think "they" give a monkey's who wins.

However, I'd add that if "they" did, I suspect Sally's about the last person they'd be "pimping": a middle-aged, not excessively glam woman who has already had a moderate though not massive singing career.

She won't be their new discovery - she's been around for years. I doubt she'll be especially malleable, either, as she has experience in the business and almost certainly has a clear idea of what she does and doesn't want to do next.

The only problem is, she genuinely does have a stunning voice and, more importantly, a real talent for conveying emotion that sends shivers down the spine. Not many people can take on a classic Burt Bacharach song performed very famously by his muse Dionne Warwick and actually make it sound brilliant. It's a difficult comparison to overcome and she did it. Good luck to her.

All things being equal, I'd probably rather see a fresh new young talent emerge from The Voice than give an old-timer a comeback, but, so far at least, I don't think all things are equal in this competition. I think Sally stands out from the others as the best voice, and for that reason she's the one I think deserves to win.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    You can do much more things with a guitar or piano than you could do with a harp, its like a xylophone or a violin for example---it limits what kind of songs you can do, and thats all she offers imo, a harp, a slow song. Her voice isn't unique enough, she doesn't move, every performance would be too much like the last. Its a bit like last years winner, where is she now...bargain bin in your local tescos. You need to offer more than that to be a top artist nowadays and I'm afraid she just didn't show any improvement or versatility for me. One trick pony, I'm afraid so....

Will made the right choice imo.

As she has been offered a place at RNCM, which is highly competitive and focused on classical performance training, (I am guessing she's enrolling in the School of Strings undergrad programme) I suspect that this is the route she is and has been looking to go down as her main ambition. I suspect singing alongside playing was probably something she is more interested in as an enjoyable sideline.
  • Options
    TheBlueOneTheBlueOne Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    He should have picked Anna over Sophie. Anna has 3.5 million more views of her audition on youtube. You can't argue with that. Sophie bores me

I loved Anna McLuckie, but I don't know why people bring up Youtube views in arguments like this. Wasn't it all filmed before the show anyway? So Will just has to guess who will be the most popular and go with his gut
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBlueOne wrote: »
    I loved Anna McLuckie, but I don't know why people bring up Youtube views in arguments like this. Wasn't it all filmed before the show anyway? So Will just has to guess who will be the most popular and go with his gut
    Maybe they should film the knockouts after the auditions to see how the public react to them
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be better if the battles and the knockouts were shown live.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    As she has been offered a place at RNCM, which is highly competitive and focused on classical performance training, (I am guessing she's enrolling in the School of Strings undergrad programme) I suspect that this is the route she is and has been looking to go down as her main ambition. I suspect singing alongside playing was probably something she is more interested in as an enjoyable sideline.

I agree - the two things don't go hand in hand, so if she has chosen to go to music college, self-accompanied singing is not likely to be her main priority and as you say, will be just for fun.
  • Options
    SugarNSpiceSugarNSpice Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazman wrote: »
    You can do much more things with a guitar or piano than you could do with a harp, its like a xylophone or a violin for example---it limits what kind of songs you can do, and thats all she offers imo, a harp, a slow song. Her voice isn't unique enough, she doesn't move, every performance would be too much like the last. Its a bit like last years winner, where is she now...bargain bin in your local tescos. You need to offer more than that to be a top artist nowadays and I'm afraid she just didn't show any improvement or versatility for me. One trick pony, I'm afraid so....

Will made the right choice imo.

Indeed. Some people miss the point when one speak of singers having versatility. It is possible to have versatility in the same genre of music. Take Elton John for eg, he plays the piano while singing his songs but doesn't play in the same monotone key with each song. It's the same with those who play guitars - there is variation in key notes. The same cannot be said for the harp. As good as Anna was with her harp, I'm afraid there has been no mistake on Will.i.am's part - he made the right choices.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. Some people miss the point when one speak of singers having versatility. It is possible to have versatility in the same genre of music. Take Elton John for eg, he plays the piano while singing his songs but doesn't play in the same monotone key with each song. It's the same with those who play guitars - there is variation in key notes. The same cannot be said for the harp. As good as Anna was with her harp, I'm afraid there has been no mistake on Will.i.am's part - he made the right choices.

Can anyone name a famous harpist?

Let's face it, she can play the harp, she didn't invent it. If enough people had a sustained interest in the sound of harp and voice, then there would be more harpist/singers around.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna had something about her, she was definitely easier to listen to than some of the others with their oobly ooblies all over the place, and screaching, orr total lack of emotion or breath control. I wouldn't turn her over if she came on the radio, some of the others, well...
  • Options
    bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Will knew what to do with her - she had her style and he probably could add nothing more to her without a complete change of style.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the big fanbase that she has already i cant imagine it will be long before she is signed up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I do love it when dafties witter on about one trick ponies and not having gone on a journey when they are talking out of their posteriors. Anna came on to the show without any drama or sob story and performed and people loved it. She is still at school and is and has always been, going to take up her place at The Royal Northern College of Music when she leaves school. She's a musician, not a drama queen. She plays multiple instruments, not just the harp , and the funniest thing she could have done in the battle round would have been to wander over to the piano the other girl insisted on and then never played, and belted out the tune on that! Will.i.am may be a funny, smart and talented producer , but he's not a singer, bless him. He is style over substance personified and talking about putting percussion and effects over a haunting song like "Autumn" was ridiculous. He picks Sophie who is also very much style over substance, ffs she sang a song famous for being performed by a woman who could'nt sing and she sang it very badly indeed. But she's a wannabee who will do what ever daft thing they want her to do and be cannon fodder to be voted out so he can keep Jermain who has a great voice but very little that is memorable. Anna was true to herself and will be all the better for it in future.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Not quite the same thing though, is it?

It's more like choosing your favourite dog at crufts because it's wearing a bow tie, and then claiming that it would be useless without the pesky bow tie.

This is a singing competition. There are better singers.

It's not exactly a singing contest in the literal sense. They are not being scored on their octave range, timing or their tone. It's a show that is looking for an artist who will sell records. It's only called The Voice because of the blind auditions. After that section it's no different to the X factor or any other talent show. IMO, they've kicked out the most memorable artists already. I think the knockout rounds should be live and voted for by the public.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It strikes me that Will was surprised Jermaine didn't get knocked out in the semi final, (the look of shock on his face, him saying more than once he's sorry Sophie got kicked out). I think he knows he's beat already for this year. Anna whilst not being the best singer could have been the best act, and picked up a lot of votes. Imagine if she did Get Lucky in the final = guaranteed votes.