Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo he should have left years ago.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Some will mourn, some will celebrate, but all will wish him the best after 11 series, as the BBC have confirmed Brucie will step down from hosting the live shows.

Here's the statement, via Facebook:

"After 10 wonderful years & 11 series, Sir Bruce Forsyth has decided to step down from the rigours of presenting our live shows.
    Sir Bruce is one of the great showbiz legends of our time and Strictly's success is due in vast amounts to him. This is not farewell...!"

I don't think you could have put that better!

We should all wish him well as it was his status which sold the show initially and well...........because he is a legend!

I don't mind who replaces him.

..........as long as its not John Barrowman or Anton or......................................

perhaps I do mind ;-)
  • Options
    catkins198catkins198 Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think it's time for him to retire but I am sad about it. Sir Bruce obviously loved Strictly and although admittedly he was getting to be embarrassing at times, he has over the years done an excellent job on the show.

How many people in their 80's could host a live tv show every week?
  • Options
    HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Thank you sir Bruce for all your service , enjoy retirement
    As for who should replace him

For me get rid of Tess too, full change , give Claudia full time role and along with Anton
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope that they don't bring in the "token" man to replace him. The girls have proved they can run the show even better between them. Give them at least one season before jumping for the "safe" option of having a man up front.

Agree totally: I loved watching these two and they had great chemistry.

I hope they have a good warm-up person because I've heard that Bruce is great at entertaining the audience. He's a natural ad-libber and the contrived autocue jokes simply didn't suit him
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie’s never been mediocre or forgettable so all credit to him for a successful lifetime in showbiz providing entertainment to millions. It’ll be weird not seeing him on Saturday nights and characterless and insipid won’t fill the void left by Brucie so mighty good luck to whoever is called to the front.

Brucie’s speciality is entertaining and he’s done that for years and for countless audiences so it’s difficult to imagine he’ll decide to put his feet up and chill. I’ll miss him on Strictly but congratulations to a legend and national treasure for providing generation after generation with good clean fun and laughter. :)
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    He will leave a massive void. Bruce is Strictly. Many thanks to him for all his entertainment over the years.

Please God do not let Anton Du Beke anywhere near the mic - that would make me switch off

And same goes for Vernon Kaye
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness for that - my choice replacement would be Bradley Walsh, I think he could do a great job.
    Please NOT Graham Norton!
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's not a tough act to follow. He didn't do much at all.

Well, I couldn't have done it as well as him, and I doubt you could either!
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F * A * N * T * A * S * T * I * C

wonderful news.........hopefully can now get back to enjoying the show each week
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Wishing Brucie all the best for his retirement....his jokes were a tad cringeworthy to say the least but overall he did a fab job....and was great when it came to ad-libbing....Umm!!..replacement.....another fan of whacky Claudia....I think Graham Norton or Paul O'grady would also fit into the SCD presenting role.....but for some reason I think Emma Willis might get the gig....or at least be the new presenters side kick.....I do like Emma but I don't think SCD would best suit her presenting style
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, think it was about time. He got a bit grating the last couple of years. I hope they give the gig to Claudia as I thought she and Tess worked really well together last series.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Just heard it on the news, thank goodness for that. The show is much much better on the weeks he's not there. yipeeee !!!
  • Options
    PatchbunclePatchbuncle Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of people for Claudia but I seem to remember that she was wearing a bit thin for a lot of DS'rs during her last series of ITT.

My theory/guess is that with Brucie retiring, they won't want to scare us delicate viewers by changing much if anything else about the show. I suspect it'll be Tess and Claudia with a pretty much unchanged pro lineup. I do like Graham Norton as a replacement but agree that with Craig and Bruno that they'd have to watch the 'camp' level.
  • Options
    sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I respect his talent and long career but it was time he left. I would also be happy with a Tess / Claudia combo, I can't see the BBC going with that though, I think they will bring in a male presenter; Graham Norton would be my first choice, but Paul O'Grady or Alistair Armstrong would be great too. Not keen on Anton doing it and definitely not Vernon Kaye, I always feel he should be selling second hand cars somewhere.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one who would like Anton as his replacement, don't know if Anton would want to retire competitively though :(

Nope. I'd like Anton. His whole world is dance and he's very personable. He's starting to look increasingly out of place with the other dancers, especially now Erin has gone. He might be a bit too 'like' Sir Brucie (in cheesiness) so the producers might not want to replace him with someone similar but they could do worse. He has done presenting work and is very familiar with the format. At least they could try him out for a series.

I will miss Brucie but I think the time is right for him to stop. Having seen his one man show, some years back (I was dragged along), I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it and at how versatile he was, so all credit to him for him being a great entertainer. However, the pace of presenting something like SCD has really started to tell on him and at least his part in the show can still be celebrated fondly by many before more start saying "Oh, not him again!"

I don't think he's ready to retire 'full stop' just yet and hope he doesn't but he can well afford to go at a much more leisurely pace.

I hope that whoever takes over has some knowledge of dance (or at least SCD) as well as popular appeal. Please not Pip Schofe or Vernon Kay, though.
  • Options
    LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Maybe Michael McIntyre could replace him
    Please God no!!!!
    Anyone but!!!!:(
  • Options
    Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Howjo wrote: »
    Thank you sir Bruce for all your service , enjoy retirement
    As for who should replace him

For me get rid of Tess too, full change , give Claudia full time role and along with Anton

Oh, I like that idea!! :)
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I think Brucie has done the right thing but he will be sadly missed.

Please anyone but Anton to replace him.

Sradia - who is Alistair Armstrong, did you mean Alexander?
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's not a tough act to follow. He didn't do much at all.

Crass comment
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Ronnie Corbett take over for a couple weeks a few years back when Brucie was ill??
  • Options
    jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sad that Sir Bruce is leaving SCD but, whoever takes over from him, if it is Tess' other half then I shan't be watching. Cannot stand Vernon Kay!! I heard a rumour that Graham Norton is taking over
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Didn't Ronnie Corbett take over for a couple weeks a few years back when Brucie was ill??

One week. And even then he just sat in the audience and was occasionally asked a question or two by Tess.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

He has just announced he's retiring from TV after a health scare.