Modern day Actresses are useless

12346»

Comments

• Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,193
    Forum Member
    I must admit that I was puzzled when actresses suddenly became actors.

Me too, and I HATE it, it's equality gone mad.

The Acadamy Awards still have the Best Actress category, not Best Female Actor.

I really admired the late Janet Leigh when she reprimanded an interviewer.

"Don't refer to me as an actor, I am an ACTRESS, and proud of it!"
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence is the only current young actress that will be around in 10years time that I can guarantee. As long as she keeps making good movie choices and chooses diverse roles she's going to have a tremendous career. She takes her craft seriously and it feels like she's an authentic actress. She's not trying to be anything else expect an actress which is refreshing as so many young stars think they can do everything when they're not actually that good in the first place.

I have a feeling her new film with Bradley cooper 'Serena' is going to wow people because she plays a really different character.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence and Kirsten Stewart are two of the most overrated young actors in Hollywood today.

Everytime I seen them, they're being themselves. Even Lawrence in American Hustle was just her showing off, putting on a 'funny' accent.

And that goes for the rest of them in American Hustle. Overhyped tripe.

While the movie was overhyped in terms of story line, I thought Lawrence, Amy Adams, Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper were very good.

Jennifer Lawrence is a great talent and will be successful for many years to come.

I actually think Kristen Stewart is underrated by most. Not seen her for a while, but believe she's working on a few things, the best is yet to come I think!
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jennifer Lawrence and Kirsten Stewart are two of the most overrated young actors in Hollywood today.

Everytime I seen them, they're being themselves. Even Lawrence in American Hustle was just her showing off, putting on a 'funny' accent.

And that goes for the rest of them in American Hustle. Overhyped tripe.

Did you really just put Kirsten Stewart in the same bracket as Jennifer Lawrence?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzle wrote: »
    Did you really just put Kirsten Stewart in the same bracket as Jennifer Lawrence?

They are both young actresses in their twenties who started in indie films before becoming famous in YA novel adaptations.
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teewoods wrote: »
    Ask anyone to name their favourite Actor ( in he uni sex sense) and everyone names male actors.

Anyone is alot of people.

My favourite actor is Cate Blanchette by far (out of males or females). I think Kate Winslet is good too and some French actors (female ones) I really like too. Kristin Scott Thomas has been a long favourite of mine as well (I think she's underrated sometimes) and she can do both English and French speaking productions.

Meryl Streep hasn't ever done a bad film has she (in an acting sense) and Helen Mirren and Judy Dench are solid peformers. I like alot of female TV actors that might not get worldwide noteriety but they're still talented and very useful actors (I'll always appreciate Maxine Peeke even if her name isn't as big as people like Bradley Cooper who frankly does nothing for me despite his name being right up there at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Marisa Tomei is a brilliant actress, and has been a film star for 25 years now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the years to come, the most acclaimed young actresses in cinema (US POV) will be Jennifer Lawrence - Emma Stone - The younger Dakota sister - Hailee Steinfeld, simple as that.

PS
    Maybe promising - Sasha Pieterse 17 years old (will play Inherent Vice a Thomas Pynchon novel).

PPS
    I predict further a Hollywood career for Adèle Exarchopoulos

PPPS
    Saoirse Ronan has also a chance to become a household name in Hollywood
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I was puzzled when actresses suddenly became actors.

It is simple, really. Actor is gender neutral, whereas actress is gender specific. It really would be better to have male actor and female actor, because unfortunately today still, people believe ACTOR has weight to it and actress is just a silly little woman playing in film.
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    nah, she's fabby, I think they're meaning the rediculously named 'Stars' of today, like Keira Knightly, who has no presence, I laughed my socks off, at her embarrassing attempt, at Dr Zchivago...
    :D

Kiera seems like a nice girl when she is interviewed but her employment is due to her beauty not her acting skills, the latter of which are woeful. As she ages her career will decline rapidly. Her acting skills will not translate to character acting. She has all the charisma of an ironing board on screen.

I think the OP has a point. I really can't think of any film actress, particularly the younger ones, who are a must see.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I REALLY don't get the Ryan Gosling thing AT ALL! Average actor and average looks IMO.
    Some people seem to think he's the best thing since sliced bread though.