Windows 8.1 Update 1 - April 8th 2014.

Comments

• DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just updated mine and it is nothing to shout about the update. Apart from the Morden screen it has the power button near top right and also the search button and now you can put the apps on the taskbar. No start button as of yet So I will not be getting rid of startdock start button just yet.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1-update-1-is-live-here-s-how-to-download-and-install-it-1240695

"How to get the update

To get the update, you will need to first install Windows 8.1, which is available from the Windows Store.

You'll then have to install the following patches, labelled Important, from Windows Update in the order given: KB2919442, KB2932046, KB2919355, KB2938439, KB2937592. These links cover the 64-bit version.

For those on 32-bit machines, try: KB2919442, KB2932046, KB2919355, KB2938439, KB2937592.

And last but not least, the ARM links are: KB2919442, KB2932046, KB2919355, KB2938439, KB2937592."

I have the 64 bit version and downloaded the patches from this site.. the system told me the first one was already downloaded. I then proceeded with the other four in the order shown.. after each download the system restarted. the longest download is the third one.. looks good.. I use windows marbles theme, in particular the row of 6 glass marbles with the blue background as wallpaper, so its nice that it opens up to this..
    I checked some e-mails and notice that that tile is now on the task bar.. the colour of the tiles glow in the appropriate when the cursor hovers over it.. Just noticed the task bar is now part of Metro/Modern, then drops out when you move the cursor away
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    stuck on 3% Download Windows Update - Installer pushing the CPU.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Updates all went smoothly on my x64 laptop and the VM on my desktop.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    stuck on 3% Download Windows Update - Installer pushing the CPU.

Im going to wait until the morning to download.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was stuck on 0% and then it was installing it. I think it's just display not the download that is stuck. It's little things only, SkyDrive is OneDrive, so that's something :D Search button on Start is nice for touch screen, it saves one gesture and there's empty space there anyway.
  • ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was after 7pm when the update started to download but everything installed fine. My laptop boots straight to desktop. I like the way you can put apps on menu bar and you can close app with the cross in top right corner rather than having to drag the window down.
    Search is in a better place and power icon is there too.
    Much better for non touch screen but I still prefer Windows 7.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    No problems downloading and installing earlier this evening. Everything seems to be fine, but, not liking the auto hide title bar at the top of the screen.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Mine was stuck on 0% and then it was installing it. I think it's just display not the download that is stuck. It's little things only, SkyDrive is OneDrive, so that's something :D Search button on Start is nice for touch screen, it saves one gesture and there's empty space there anyway.

Mine stuck at 85% first, but I accidentally clicked restart after installing software, for it only to start installing as it shut down, then when I started the download again it stayed on 0% for a while, exactly how long I don't know because I left it and went to another room.

Downloaded it and don't really care, none of the changes will really affect me as I never enter the children's play area, and use Start8.

The one thing that I have noticed is that it reset the Favourites links in Explorer back to the standard rather than the ones that I set, and it added links back to the user personal files back in to the "This PC" folder (or whatever it is actually called).
    A bit annoying but easy to rectify.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded (about 450 MB) and installed OK. Took ages to download.

I think I actually prefer it booting up to the Metro screen so all in all a bit of a waste of space for me. No doubt I'll be able to fiddle about with some option and get what I want.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phewww, finally finished. The whole thing took well over an hour from start to finish.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded and installed last night, about 8pm, no problem, quick and clean.

I have no idea what difference it makes as I got start is back for the start menu. But a mate of mine who don't have a start menu says it now boots to desktop as default, now he wants to know how to make it boot to the start screen, there is always one :)

I don't notice any difference in use, no doubt there are difference on the start screen, i may have a look when I come home from work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taskbar -> Properties -> Navigation. They just changed the value already there for non touch devices. I changed it back, it _is_ my start menu.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double posted, sorry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, 6 updates 919MB.

Only IE11 is borked, it won't launch. I realise many don't use it, anyone else or just me?

Store icon unpinned. SIB working correctly.

The prominent 'sort apps by' (hint: date installed) on the 'All apps menu' is quite useful. It lists desktop programs as well as apps.

I used to quite enjoy chucking apps away now they've spoiled the fun with a shitty auto-hidden title bar with the x in the top right (Grrr!).

I'm gonna make sure Spider still works :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An IE 'reset' hasn't helped. Neither the app nor the desktop IE will start.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, IE works for me, app and application, 8.1 pro and rt. Does it say anything or just fails quietly?
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Booting straight into Desktop mode was an option you could do yourself without having to update to 8.1.1 and as I already have done that as I never use the Start screen, I have no need to update to 8.1.1 and am in no mad rush to either. I'm sure it will happen automatically at some point, but I'm in no way going to manually seek it.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Booting straight into Desktop mode was an option you could do yourself without having to update to 8.1.1 and as I already have done that as I never use the Start screen, I have no need to update to 8.1.1 and am in no mad rush to either. I'm sure it will happen automatically at some point, but I'm in no way going to manually seek it.

If you don't update to Win 8.1 Update 1, you will not receive any security updates or fixes at all next month going forward. MS have already indicated that this will be the case. So in truth there is plenty of need.

And what's to lose by updating anyway? Both my systems were updated last evening, one manually and one via WU. No issues, and both systems working perfectly (and I am still using Classic Shell so see very little difference in everyday usage). Why the reluctance?

But ultimately, it's your choice
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Downloaded it and don't really care, none of the changes will really affect me as I never enter the children's play area, and use Start8.

:D:D:D
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Updated two machines. One went smoothly. One stopped downloading half way through, but restarting the update worked, and it went through smoothly in the end.
    No problems with IE here.

I use Stardock's Windowblinds, Start8 and ModernMix.

Slight glitch with Windowblinds, in that the new right click context menus on the Start Screen don't show up if you are using a Windowblinds skin.
    They are working on that for the next update. In the mean time just going back to the default skin, doing your alterations to the Start screen, then going back to Windowblinds and selecting your preferred skin again, works fine.

Modern Mix still works as before, and allows you to use the Modern apps in a window.
    If you've pinned apps to the taskbar using ModernMix, those don't integrate with the Update pinned apps, so you can end up with 2 Store icons on the bar for instance.

Also, if you have an app open in a window, putting your mouse to the top of the screen will bring up the new Close bar, which is a bit strange.
    And if you have an app full screen, the new close button is obstructed by the ModernMix resize button.
    But no doubt they'll address all these in the next ModernMix update, and they don't stop anything working.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Hm, IE works for me, app and application, 8.1 pro and rt. Does it say anything or just fails quietly?

Encapsulates it perfectly! :D

iexplore is present in taskmgr then disappears. Will take a look in the logs.
    Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 11.0.9600.17037, time stamp: 0x5312c26d
    Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00007ffb99ed0000
    Faulting process ID: 0x81c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cf54220e5957f4
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Faulting module path: unknown
    Report ID: 50832b64-c015-11e3-8277-a4db304d3b2f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hm, MS recommends to execute "sfc /scannow" in command prompt with admin rights to see if any system files are corrupt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, using WER and Process Explorer, I narrowed it down and it was Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Beta (MBAE). IE11 is restored to full workingness!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing like an eager programme trying to help :D