Options

Medicines you remember from childhood

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Sloans liniment, for top of my legs in 70's (I was into Karate) Honestly, got it on my nuts. :o
    Gentian violet, onto my gums, for ulcers.
  • Options
    Max LoveMax Love Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Halabit orange, got hooked on that.
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samstanner wrote: »
    Sloans liniment, for top of my legs in 70's (I was into Karate) Honestly, got it on my nuts. :o
    Gentian violet, onto my gums, for ulcers.

I would love to smell Sloans liniment again I thought it was a wonderful smell and Suleo shampoo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I would love to smell Sloans liniment again I thought it was a wonderful smell and Suleo shampoo.

I had to google, thought it might have an 'e' on the end of Sloans; so I see that it is for sale on ebay. Not that I'm going to touch it again. :)
  • Options
    electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert's Lobeline for coughs.
    Tasted nice, it was diluted with water
  • Options
    KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaolin and Morphine for tummy upsets, bleargh!
    Gentian Violet for mouth ulcers
    Tins of Germolene
    Bottles of TCP
    Franol Tablets for Asthma
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    junior disprin, honey, lemon and glycerine/ipecac cough medicine, germoline and chalky antibiotics
  • Options
    SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fondly remember 'Gee's Linctus'

{Looked up the ingredients = *Gees Linctus, contains camphorated tincture of opium, squill oxymel, tolu syrup and honey.*}
  • Options
    peonypotpeonypot Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont recall what it was called but i always seemed to have a little metal oil burner thing in my room because i was always croupy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    for Karapote Monkey who was asking about those round vitamin pills. They were made by Sanotgen and I remember my dad giving us one to take each morning along with a Seven Seas Cod Liver oil capsule. I too enjoyed those round little vitamins especially the berry flavoured ones as they tasted like fizzy sweets and there is nothing like them on the market today sadly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember my medicine being kept in the fridge as a child; it was only anti biotics but as a child you used to get it in liquid form which was quite exciting when you're five.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Rose hip syrup, which I loved. Vicks vapour rub, Lucozade, I remember playing with the orange cellophane, Disprin, they were in a silver foil. The cough medicine was mixed with hot water in a little plastic container, I think it was called Owbridges?
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peonypot wrote: »
    Dont recall what it was called but i always seemed to have a little metal oil burner thing in my room because i was always croupy.

I used to have one of those in my room when I had bronchitis a lot. They were called Wrights Vapourisers. They used to have a tea light at the bottom and the Wrights vapourising fluid was put in the top. When you think about it now, it was very unsafe in a child's bedroom all night.

I can remember having a tea light in a saucer on all night when I was very young just so that it wasn't dark in the room. I could have knocked it over easily and set the room on fire. People didn't seem to think of things like that then.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Rose hip syrup, which I loved. Vicks vapour rub, Lucozade, I remember playing with the orange cellophane, Disprin, they were in a silver foil. The cough medicine was mixed with hot water in a little plastic container, I think it was called Owbridges?

I remember Owbridges Cough Mixture, it was black. I also remember having Victory V tablets to suck, they were really nice. I don't know if you can still get them. I can still remember the TV advert for them, with people singing "It's Victory V weather again" while they were in the rain, fog or snow.

You can still get most of the ones you mentioned, apart from Owbridges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else remember Indian brandy??
    It was absolutely vile, sore throat? Indian brandy. Upset tum? Indian brandy.
    My mum used to give it to me in hot water everytime I was ill. >:(
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    What were those tablets called that were for a bad back and turned your urine green?
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the banana flavoured milkshake antibiotics. I can still remember having a really bad allergic reaction to it and the doctor being called out (they used to do home visits in those days).

Minadex tonic used to taste lovely as did gripe water.
    Calpol tasted ok but left a bit of an aftertaste.
    I was a very sickly child so I was always on something!
    And when I had a cold I was always getting terrible blocked nose so was given something called McKenzies salts that you put in hot water and breathed in the vapour.
    Also Olbas oil, that's still about though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Although it's not a medicine, I remember being given warm Ribena (the dilute stuff) when I was ill. It was the only time we ever had Ribena in the house, and it was a special treat if we had a cough/cold.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Banana flavoured antibiotics. Used to love being prescribed that as it tasted so nice. And calpol.

I used to get these quite often as a kid because I was prone to chest infections. Me and my sister absolutely loved the stuff. I can remember us drinking a full bottle one day just after my mum had picked it up. She went bloody mental.
    Dosierosie wrote: »
    Andrews liver salts always made me sick. California syrup of figs and was there something called eccipecci wine(sp) lol ?

I think I must be the only person in the world who actually likes the taste of Andrews Salts! I have no idea why. Sometimes I'll take a dose when there's nothing wrong with me, just because I find them quite tingly and refreshing.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know if its been mentioned, but my mum had a this little tiny black bottle with black liquid in it. She would put 2 or 3 drops in an egg cup with warm water in it. It smelt and tasted awful and I would heave drinking it. Cant remember what it was for, may have been for tummy troubles!!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had an illness in the 60s (I can't remember what it was), I had to take a course of a medicine whose name I never knew but have never forgotten. It had to be drunken warm and I had to have a mugful before bed. It was brown and a little bit syrupy and tasted a bit of aniseed but was pretty horrid. Any ideas, anyone?
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cough candy, disgusting taste

My dad swore by liquid paraffin for stomach upsets

The school secretary believed in giving a good dose of sal volatile to anyone who turned up in her office feeling ill. Not many people went twice :o
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember lucozade being in the proper glass bottles with the bobbly bits on the neck of the bottle.

The neck would get all tacky from the lucozade......

Laid on the sette, watching old b+w films on tv, or reading look and read.....
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Banana flavoured liquid penicillin. Milk of magnesia. Kaolin and morphine.
  • Options
    Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dequadin tablets for a sore throat. I almost wished for a sore throat :blush:

I'm amazed to see they are still around.