Recasting the actresses in "Goodnight Sweetheart"?

Comments

• wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I finished watching the series last night, such a sad ending when Yvonne is at the closed time portal wishing Gary to come back.

I actually loved Gary & Emma Amos' Yvonne just as much as Gary with either Phoebe (I wasn't keen on Michelle Holmes Yvonne though)

Its been 12 years now since it ended so I doubt there will be a reunion or anything especially as Nick Lyndhurst has joined "New tricks"

Great show, loved every episode.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great show, loved every episode.

The very best one was the one where Gary had all the surreal dreams-and the very best scene in that is the one where he dreams he's confronted by Phoebe, Yvonne, Reg and Ron, all together.
  • wonderwall2012wonderwall2012 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    The very best one was the one where Gary had all the surreal dreams-and the very best scene in that is the one where he dreams he's confronted by Phoebe, Yvonne, Reg and Ron, all together.

I loved that episode:)

Another fave was the one where he goes back in time further and brings Jack the Ripper back with him through the time portal lol
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't one of them the young girl in the 80's Brit-flick, Rita, Sue and Bob Too?

Yes that was Michelle Holmes along with Siobhan Finneran (Janice from Benidorm!)
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Dunno about the actresses but I really miss seeing Nicholas Lyndhurst on telly.

I'm sure he's got some New Tricks up his sleeves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle holmes was in Emmerdale, married to Terry when he first appeared
  • RS11RS11 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying the Goodnight Sweetheart reruns on GOLD.

I preferred the original Phoebe and Yvonne, although I am getting used to the new Phoebe.

Don't like the new Yvonne though, accent sounds forced and acting is a bit OTT.

Would love this show to make a comeback.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the original Phoebe and the new Yvonne!
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I preferred the original Phoebe and the new Yvonne!

So many people (not all but a lot) agree with this opinion, If they had cast the 1st Yvonne with the second Phoebe then the show may not have been the success it was, Those 2 as a combo would have been too cold and moody.

The fact that there was a nice one and a harsh one in each combo helped a lot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am watching it on DVD and just started on Series 4, I can't believe how much I miss Dervla Kirwan as Phoebe as good as Elizabeth Carling is Dervla's portrayal was so much more convincing for me. I don't mind the new Yvonne as much as Michelle Holmes version did kind of grate on you.

Were you bothered by the change? do you think it improved the show or made it worse?

Hated the new uYvon she just was well not suited for the role but michelle holmes version kinda made Gary feel lik she hated him.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch them every day, they built up a bit in the library.

It's odd as I was indifferent to both changes but in the opposite ways.

The change of Phoebe was fine as both actresses were good in the role, although Kirwan was better and a loss.

The two Yvonne's on the other hand, I found two of the most unconvincing and off putting actresses I have seen. Admittedly, they were not helped by a poor and often dislikeable character who was all over the place at times, nor have I seen either of them in other roles, so it may have been a one off. At a push, I preferred the first one.

Oddly, other than Ron and Reg who were brilliant characters, I never really liked any of the main three, either wife or Gary either. But loved the show.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dervla Kirwin has probably gone to do the most workof all the actors.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred both the original Yvonne and Phoebe. Dervla Kirwan was particularly good.

Yvonne was never a particularly sympathetic character when played by either of the actresses, but Emma Amos was just too brash and OTT, for my liking.

Phoebe seemed older and more matronly when Elizabeth Carling took over.

It didn't help that the storylines got sillier towards the end. I liked the down-to-earthness of the earlier series.
  • RS11RS11 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    A couple of series in and I've warmed to the second Yvonne. Seemed a bit forced at first but now seems to be into the role and I've really forgotten about the original one.

I noticed today's episode should have featured Rolf Harris but the scene was deleted, until he's cleared of all charges I guess....
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    RS11 wrote: »
    A couple of series in and I've warmed to the second Yvonne. Seemed a bit forced at first but now seems to be into the role and I've really forgotten about the original one.

I noticed today's episode should have featured Rolf Harris but the scene was deleted, until he's cleared of all charges I guess....

Shame they have to remove that scene, It is a funny scene! But i guess safe not sorry is the way it is
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RS11 wrote: »

I noticed they started trying to make Emma Amos resemble Michelle Holmes a year or so after her first appearance as Yvonne. She went from this to this.
  • greygrey Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Well I liked all 4 of his wives
    All good actresses
    I remember Elizabeth Carling in "Boon" and one episode of "Men behaving badly" and "Border Cafe" why has that not been repeated ?
    She's a good singer too
    Emma Amos was Peter Davidson's other half in "Dangerous Davis. the last detective"
    Dervla I remember from 55 degrees north
    Michelle Holmes was in Merseybeat , another series that should be repeated
  • heimdallheimdall Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. The new Phoebe at times felt like she was 'putting it on' a bit but still watched and enjoyed.

That's exactly it.

But the new Yvonne doesn't look right either. I just watched S4E1 You're Driving me Crazy. I was a bit confused at the beginning, thinking, has Gary now got a third woman on the go (probably in the Yvonne's era, certainly not in Phoebe's era)? Also pregnant? Eventually I realised it must be Yvonne with a face transplant (my wording for recasting).

Later in the episode, with Phoebe's new actress being a bit more similar, I noticed at first that Phoebe's voice was a bit different. Didn't quite sound like Phoebe I knew, something wasn't right. Only then I noticed the face didn't look quite the same. (I am not always good with remembering faces, but I got used to Phoebe played by Dervla.)

I know my response is a bit late, but I'm watching the series now (recorded on my PVR in the last few months) and I just found this discussion...
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was everyone's thoughts on the one off revival. I really enjoyed it then after it was a success they decided that they wouldn't make it into a series.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    What was everyone's thoughts on the one off revival. I really enjoyed it then after it was a success they decided that they wouldn't make it into a series.

I thought it was the best of the revival shows and think that they should have a made a new series. They updated it well to what is used today i.e. mobile phones. I also loved the fact that all the original cast were back.

I think the BBC have really missed a trick. Cant imagine why they are remaking Porridge and not this.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Did she do series 3 of GS? I thought she left after series 2.

It does sound like she was being very naive and I couldn't believe she married Stephen Tompkinson either. Or did she? If she did, I thought he had lost his looks by then and she could have done so much better.

They were engaged but never married.
  • Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    I thought it was the best of the revival shows and think that they should have a made a new series. They updated it well to what is used today i.e. mobile phones. I also loved the fact that all the original cast were back.

I think the BBC have really missed a trick. Cant imagine why they are remaking Porridge and not this.

Probably because Porridge had far better viewing figures, was an entirely new cast, hadn't exhausted its storyline, etc. etc. The alleged overwhelming demand for a full series of Goodnight Sweetheart is a glorious example of hyperbolic inflation of Twitter comments as has been more than ably demonstrated by no other broadcaster showing the slightest interest in it since it went on the open market.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz_James wrote: »
    Probably because Porridge had far better viewing figures, was an entirely new cast, hadn't exhausted its storyline, etc. etc. The alleged overwhelming demand for a full series of Goodnight Sweetheart is a glorious example of hyperbolic inflation of Twitter comments as has been more than ably demonstrated by no other broadcaster showing the slightest interest in it since it went on the open market.

Alternative facts alert!
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I spoke to someone recently who said he had seen the porridge remake and thought it was terrible as well as the keeping up apperences prequel. In my view the GS revival was the one that had more market for a series as it had all the same actors and actresses and was not an attempt to remake something with completely different people playing the same characters which most of the time ruines such a show.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure someone got hold of the audience appreciation index figures as well which showed GS as highest