Girl Villians treated differently ?

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Know this will raise old issues of sexisium and feinisum ect. However looking back seems our hero is less likely to kill female humans rather then males or non humans. Course he allways tries to be "good" and not do anything violent unless he has too or is just having areally bad day. He is a timelord not a saint. Examples Miss Foster thrown to her death by adipose parents when they no longer needed her. Miss Hartigan self destructed when she realised what she had done and became. Woman from BOSJ went from being a servant of the GI to a scared little girl who didn't know her parents were long dead and she herself was now middle aged. Then we had Madame Kovarian killed but not killed by the doctors companion. Even in AGMGTW he directed his anger towards Manton aka Runaway. Not relaising she was the real threat. Finally Tasha Lem aka Papal Mainframe. What was all that about ?. He worships his ex as a godess despite what her cult of followers did to him and his companions in her name. Should he have hated her or thanked her for River /Melody ?. She gets turned into a dalek zombie puppet but still makes enough of a recovery to help Clara get to him on Ternzalore so he could recieve his new set of regenerations. Look forward to more girl power good or bad in S8 !.:):p

Comments

• sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what kind of character Miss Delphox will be?:confused: Will she be a stop, think, silence character. You know, the kind of person that does that, I'm thinking look. :D
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't think the Doctor should blame Tasha Lem for the doings of Madame Kovarian. Think of Kovarian as a religious extremist - you don't fault the religion or it's head for that.

Aside from Kovarian I'd say it's hard to tell as there have been far too few female villains in the show in recent years - a reason why I hoped Kovarian was going to come back some time before Matt Smiths end.

I would say that the Doctor hasn't shown a gender bias, and that he always merely tries to spare his enemies from a life of villainy before taking further action - Margaret Slitheen, the Racnoss etc. They usually don't give it up and death catches up with them. Some are beyond help, such as Cassandra and he allows them to die.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Tasha Lem was head of the church which means all members all members are her responsibility, especially if they break of to form an extremist cell. Its her job to reel them back in. She started the crusade which Kovorian went off on and then turned a blind eye to her actions.
    I like to think now the time lords are back that they deal with them
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good points would have liked to see kovarian return and be confronted by the doctor or river. Sending her to prison would have been justice for all 3 ponds .
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,243
    Forum Member
    I know the concept of the rani returning is something of a forum 'in joke', but I feel that she is the only female villain completely equal to the doctor and master, and therefore dangerous enough to be treated by the doctor as the master or other male domineering villains would be. For this reason I think it could have been good for the character to make a return. Yes, some will laugh at the suggestion or disagree, but if they can update the master for the 21st century then surely the same could be done for the rani. Moffat writes strong women as good guys easily, so for him to write for a strong women villain like the Rani would seem a dream pairing of writer and character.

I say it 'would have been good' because I feel that now they will never want to have the character return, out of respect for Kate O'Mara, but if they were still willing, I think it could work. They could even dedicate the episode of the characters return to her memory.

Likely never going to happen I know, but hey, just my opinion.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they had the right story and right actress why not ?.