Options

Treasure Hunt - 1st episode repeat

Comments

• Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this on Challenge at the moment - exactly 31 years to the day that it was first broadcast. Oh how it has dated!

Shows how the programme was licked into shape by the third series when Wincey Willis joined.

Two words . Annabel Croft . :)
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode is turning into a disaster. It is excruciating to watch her on the boat and they doing nothing to help her.
  • Options
    CybersiCybersi Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Well I was really looking forward to the Cambridge episode as I live here, but boy did it turn out to be one of the poorest episodes ever!

Mainly down to the contestants taking a dogs age just to get to grips with the rough location of the clue let alone the detail. I noticed Kenneth not even giving to them on a plate when they struggle like he is known to do. Clues too hard maybe? Also having clue 1 as the same place as the launch location is just lazy in my opinion.

Was so frustrating to watch at the punt location on the River Cam. Anneka (getting no help from London) had to rely on the fact when Graham stayed put at the bridge then obviously she wasn't to go upstream however it took a while for the penny to drop.

Other than this I noticed this ep unusual as the sunlight at times looked like it was late afternoon shoot rather than in the early morning like we are used to though that is just my take on this.

Cornwall next then...
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it funny how your memory plays tricks on you? Watched the Norn Iron episode yesterday - I distinctly remember it being "event" tv when it was first broadcast - I would have been in my early teens. I went through a stage where when people asked me what I wanted to be I said "researcher on Treasure Hunt"!! I was sure I remembered them flying up the Antrim Coast road, but they weren't there at all, and the image I had in my head of Annie on Carrick-a-rede rope bridge was totally not how it was - the mind is a wonderful thing. It is so funny to see how much it has dated - Kenneth to yer woman - "Are you a working wife?". Imagine someone asking that in that way today! There seems to have been no such thing as elf n safety then either - saw an episode the other day where Annie just grabbed a random motorbike and set off as she was without helmet or anything! It wouldn't work today in the age of social media - they would solve every clue in about 3 seconds flat! Nice nostalgia trip to see it again though - always liked how much Annie "bigged up" our lovely north coast!
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching the Cambridge episode and it's a complete shambles . Those two in the studio are the worst ever as their ability to communicate is zero, poor Annie. They all keep talking over each other including Anneka . Don't know what happened to her this series but she keeps talking non stop which is annoying .
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could date this Cambridge episode almost to the week from just looking at the countryside. The edition was broadcast on 23rd February 1984, and this was clearly in the summer of 1983 because the trees were all in leaf, but did anyone notice certain blackened fields and one that was actually burning as the helicopter flew nearby? Stubble burning of the fields which does not happen nowadays, may have been banned, but always used to happen in about the last 2 weeks of September up until the mid to late 80's, so it's fair to say that as we watched Anneka chasing around Cambridge it was late September 1983.

How she never fell off that punt into the Cam with all her equipment on I'll never know!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Cornwall next then... Malta!

I always liked Series 2 the most (Nettie added a certain glamour that Wincey lacked :o) and the Malta episode this Sunday is the best of the lot. Health and Safety didn't mean much in 1983 - the segment from 10:30 on the studio clock to the following clue is really worth watching. I particularly like the juxtaposition between the contestants and Anneka - the contestants are as clueless as to what Annie is experiencing as they are to the clues themselves... Still amazing, even now. Please don't miss!
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »
    My favourite contestants so far were the Northern Irish couple (pregnant lady) on the Yorkshire programme. They were warm and friendly and they interacted with Annie, listening to her and taking notice of what she was up to as well as giving her good instructions.

I loved that one as well. I'm so glad they won!

At the end of Series 2 - according to the ep guide I have bookmarked - they did a Highlights programme, featuring bits from certain episodes, all of which were listed. There was something from that episode. And this was written at the end as a sort of PS:

Annie said that very soon after the Yorkshire episode was filmed, contestant Barbara Green gave birth. Annie showed a snapshot of mother and baby.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, that's lovely, Flukie :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect after the Cambridge episode a production meeting was held and they decided that for series 3 they needed someone who would be in contact with the ob crew.

Didn't Wincey have contact with Frank and possibly Keith and was able to be more of an interaction between the studio and the ob?

TBH Nettie does nothing really and that role needed changing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Awww, that's lovely, Flukie :)

Yes, it was sweet. Pity it didn't mention if it was a boy or girl! I wonder if the excitement of the programme hastened things along! lol

I came across a piece by Annie from February this year on the subject of jumpsuits suiting the older woman - and she was modelling some, but she looks fabulous for her age, just like she did 30 years ago, so it's probably not for everyone!
    Anyway, the piece began with this:

When it comes to jumpsuits, I know my stuff. I barely wore anything else on my TV show Treasure Hunt in the Eighties.

My love affair with all-in-ones began long before they became my trademark.

When I was 18 — and being paid a pittance as a BBC trainee — I saw a black velvet catsuit in the window of a posh London boutique. I couldn’t resist. I blew my entire first month’s wages on it and wore it until it fell apart. I started filming Channel 4’s Treasure Hunt seven years later, and a bright parachutist-style jumpsuit seemed perfect for dashing across the countryside and leaping out of aeroplanes.

Lycra was virtually unheard of in the UK, so I had mine made by a friend who was a costume designer on the musical Cats, using fabric specially flown in for me from Italy. Within weeks, viewers were writing in their thousands asking where they could get hold of one

The bit in bold made me smile cos it never occurred to me that lycra WAS unheard of when she was wearing it! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I suspect after the Cambridge episode a production meeting was held and they decided that for series 3 they needed someone who would be in contact with the ob crew.

Didn't Wincey have contact with Frank and possibly Keith and was able to be more of an interaction between the studio and the ob?

TBH Nettie does nothing really and that role needed changing.

I think that Nettie always seems to look rather awkward and self conscious. Does she really do anything meaningful up the back apart from scribble on the map, such as talking to Keith or Anneka? For example in yesterday's episode when the clock was restarted she banged her computer keyboard with a firm finger, but was she really starting it, or as I suspect was it just a prop? I've noticed that the cheques that get given to the players are never dated too!
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    Just watching the Cambridge episode and it's a complete shambles . Those two in the studio are the worst ever as their ability to communicate is zero, poor Annie. They all keep talking over each other including Anneka . Don't know what happened to her this series but she keeps talking non stop which is annoying .

Anneka drove my mum nuts, she'd shout at the screen 'if u bloody well shut up you'd hear where you're supposed to be going' :D
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    Anneka drove my mum nuts, she'd shout at the screen 'if u bloody well shut up you'd hear where you're supposed to be going' :D
    Lol!! So did my parents!! Completely forgot about that until you mentioned it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed Anneka never lost one of her screwed up maps out of the helicopter as it was flapping about.

I presume she had a spare tucked away!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly this series finishes next week and is replaced by Blankety Blank & Catchphrase.
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    A shame - these have been the highlight of the weekend's viewing for me. I'll miss it - marvellous show.

I hope they rerun Interceptor soon.

Did the last few minutes' audio go out of sync for anybody else, or was it just my TV being a doughnut? The sound of Anneka throwing herself into the weaning pool struck a good few seconds before it happened in vision. Nice ending, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am watching on +1 so not got that far yet.... they are flying over Kenneth's house I bet he was praying they hadn't put a clue there... imagine Annie knocking on the door and Kenneth's boyfriend answers.:D
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Am watching on +1 so not got that far yet.... they are flying over Kenneth's house I bet he was praying they hadn't put a clue there... imagine Annie knocking on the door and Kenneth's boyfriend answers.:D

Blimey, glad I didn't spoil it too much then!

:D They missed a trick! When they were alluding to Kenneth living in the area at the start, I did wonder if we'd be going to his house for tea and clues. Sadly not.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme is the highlight of my week too, I am really going to miss it. I too wish that they would rerun the Interceptor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This programme is the highlight of my week too, I am really going to miss it. I too wish that they would rerun the Interceptor.

Interceptor has been repeated many times over the last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stewartuu wrote: »
    A shame - these have been the highlight of the weekend's viewing for me. I'll miss it - marvellous show.

I hope they rerun Interceptor soon.

Did the last few minutes' audio go out of sync for anybody else, or was it just my TV being a doughnut? The sound of Anneka throwing herself into the weaning pool struck a good few seconds before it happened in vision. Nice ending, though.

Yes they didn't line up her voice with the video when she said "I got it" they obviously refilmed that bit afterwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly this series finishes next week and is replaced by Blankety Blank & Catchphrase.

At least the last one in Liverpool is a winning one!

I'm just glad I've got all the other winning shows from the next 4 series, on DVD.
    Thank you You Tube!
    (though I watch all of them, it's too frustrating to keep the non-winning ones to watch again, but the winning ones are more enjoyable to watch again so they're the ones I put on DVD!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    At least the last one in Liverpool is a winning one!

I'm just glad I've got all the other winning shows from the next 4 series, on DVD.
    Thank you You Tube!
    (though I watch all of them, it's too frustrating to keep the non-winning ones to watch again, but the winning ones are more enjoyable to watch again so they're the ones I put on DVD!)

Thanks for telling us they won :confused:
  • Options
    CybersiCybersi Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Cornwall was a great ep, interesting clue locations and savi contestants. Yes, definitely some extra post production in the final minute. Either there was a second camera at the pool viewing window or she jumped in twice! Enjoyed it.