Options

So there is a Chicken in my garden

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No, it's not a joke. I have no idea where it came from we live in north London. It's been in our area for the past 2 weeks but it always seems to come to our garden. I have fed it a few times but now I just want it to leave :D. It's London so where has it escaped from? Genuine question but who can I call to take it away? I'm really afraid of it getting attacked by a cat or a dog.

Comments

• Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest the RSPCA
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catch it, neck it and eat it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catch it, neck it and eat it.

We have all talked about eating it but no one has the heart to hurt him. I've even named him but its time he left.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know he is a bloke? Build him a little house with a nesting box and if 'he' lays eggs - that's freebies!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I know a few people who keep chickens in their back gardens. Granted, this is a semi-rural area and some people have back gardens bigger than Narnia, but it's still not unheard of for people in London to have enough room for a couple of chickens, or have you never seen The Good Life?*

* Yeah, that was supposed to be Surbiton, but that's still Greater London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I know a few people who keep chickens in their back gardens. Granted, this is a semi-rural area and some people have back gardens bigger than Narnia, but it's still not unheard of for people in London to have enough room for a couple of chickens, or have you never seen The Good Life?*

* Yeah, that was supposed to be Surbiton, but that's still Greater London.

I feel sorry for the poor guy watching him sit in my garden all depressed he also looks very dirty. He should be roaming around a farm not in my garden in Hackney. I might call call the rspca as someone suggested.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For clucks sake :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    For clucks sake :D

I took a snap if it http://postimg.org/image/3nqii3egz/ :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    green855 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the poor guy watching him sit in my garden all depressed he also looks very dirty. He should be roaming around a farm not in my garden in Hackney. I might call call the rspca as someone suggested.

I'd check if it has a Sierra Leonean accent. Didn't a marathon runner from there do a runner the other day? Could just be a disguise.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks like a cock to me, not a hen. Damn. Free eggs are always good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Looks like a cock to me, not a hen. Damn. Free eggs are always good.

Yeah, not drab enough to be female.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I would suggest the RSPCA

Not sure it's always the best policy- we had a squirrel in the attic and I phoned them as I wanted advice on the best way to catch and release it and they basically advised me to kill it.

If they changed their name to the Protection of Cruelty to only Certain Animals it might be more accurate.

At least chicken is tasty I guess.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We live near a country park that has a mini zoo in it and on occasion, have woken up to find a peacock parading around the back garden.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    No, it's not a joke. I have no idea where it came from we live in north London. It's been in our area for the past 2 weeks but it always seems to come to our garden. I have fed it a few times but now I just want it to leave :D. It's London so where has it escaped from? Genuine question but who can I call to take it away? I'm really afraid of it getting attacked by a cat or a dog.

Any "children's farms" or "petting zoos" (always sounds creepy, that name) in the area? They might collect ... and you could negotiate visiting rights! :D
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    Not sure it's always the best policy- we had a squirrel in the attic and I phoned them as I wanted advice on the best way to catch and release it and they basically advised me to kill it.

If they changed their name to the Protection of Cruelty to only Certain Animals it might be more accurate.

At least chicken is tasty I guess.

Yes, that's actually the law. If you catch a squirrel, you have to kill it (in a humane manner - shoot it or whack it really hard with an iron bar).

Best way is to entice it out then block the way back in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    We live near a country park that has a mini zoo in it and on occasion, have woken up to find a peacock parading around the back garden.

I once woke up to find a drunk and trouserless man parading around the back garden at 3am. He wasn't a very good singer either. I always thought that once you get that drunk certain appendages weren't supposed to work that well, but not in his case. Could have hung a coat on that thing. He was going the 'waggle dance' too.

I was rather shocked, but not as much as my kid sister, who was 14 at the time and (hopefully) had never seen the like before :o.

Still, I guess that's the price of living on the same road as a rather dodgy nightclub, and wasn't half as bad as the time someone was hacked to death with machetes outside it and the gang who did it used our backyard as part of their escape route.

We moved shortly after that.

Appendages are bad enough, but machetes were the final straw.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »

I can top that :D
    I had four sheep stroll in my house one day through an open door, also two cows broke through a fence and got in my back garden and wrecked it when I was out one day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can top that :D
    I had four sheep stroll in my house one day through an open door, also two cows broke through a fence and got in my back garden and wrecked it when I was out one day.

That's why I prefer to live in a flat that's not on the ground floor. It's far less likely for anything (or anyone) to just wander up here :D.

I did have to shoo a small bird out of the spare bedroom once. It must have been in the hallway and followed me in one day. I spent ages trying my best to ignore this really loud tweeting - assumed it was just a bird in a tree outside feeling particularly randy or something, and either some cat would finish it off or it would eventually go cruising elsewhere.

I then realised it was in the flat when I saw it looking at me while I was on the loo, which faces directly into the spare bedroom. Not sure which of us was more freaked out by what they were seeing.

I spent about an hour trying to herd the damn thing back out of the front door, making an obvious escape route for it by building a canyon with all the junk and boxes in there. Still, I found a couple of things I'd been looking for for years, so not all wasted.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your problem is quite simple. No chips or crispy crumb in your garden to go with it. You need to throw cut potatoes and a standard issue flamethrower at this problem
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Yes, that's actually the law. If you catch a squirrel, you have to kill it (in a humane manner - shoot it or whack it really hard with an iron bar).

Best way is to entice it out then block the way back in.

Yes they informed me that it is technically the law (poor chap was suffering from some form of grey squirrel discrimination, bloody foreigner etc etc) but the hypocrisy of a society allegedly promoting the prevention of cruelty of animals whilst telling me to butcher it was, well, 'interesting' to say the least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your problem is quite simple. No chips or crispy crumb in your garden to go with it. You need to throw cut potatoes and a standard issue flamethrower at this problem

I'm surprised one of the local foxes haven't had it yet. I think the ones living in cities have grown lazy and prefer thrown away takeaway now though. They've also adopted rather poor Jamaican accents for reasons their parents will never understand.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a guinea fowl (sp?) in our garden once. A fox ate it.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I'm surprised one of the local foxes haven't had it yet. I think the ones living in cities have grown lazy and prefer thrown away takeaway now though. They've also adopted rather poor Jamaican accents for reasons their parents will never understand.
    ras clart, cum between dem and dey KFC...
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Look after it. Might lay a few eggs for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ras clart, cum between dem and dey KFC...

Innit.