Cape Fear 1991

Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why isn't this repeated on TV? Starring Robert De Niro, Nick Nolte, Jessica Lange and introduced Juliette Lewis. Martin Scorcese directed.
Robert and Juliette were Oscar nominated. I never see this on TV. I'm watching the 60s original one with Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You obviously don't look at ITV4.

Infact it was on a few weeks back.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

:D:o:p OK no I don't really. Good. As you were... *whistles
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    A good remake.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it's a remake it's probably not best to compare - De Niro is a camp, cartoonish villian compared to Mitchum (who was never better). Both very different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it's a remake it's probably not best to compare - De Niro is a camp, cartoonish villian compared to Mitchum (who was never better). Both very different.

It would appear you have become confused and watched Sideshow Bob rather than De Niro. Either that, or your definition of 'camp' differs from that of everyone else in the universe. Ever.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hardly describe De Niro's performance as camp either.

Sure, there are moments where he is over the top, such as the uncontrollable laughter in the cinema, the biting sequence and the bizarre ending...but then there is the subtle but menacing scene in the school with Juliette Lewis, and most of the early part of the film is a slow build up to the more bizarre and twisted behaviour of the character later in the movie.

Nothing against Mitchums performance and I feel no need to compare them...Mitchum's was more quietly menacing, but why would people want De Niro to ape Mitchum's performance? Obviously De Niro has to bring his own take on the character...and remember in '91 you could be more graphic than what was allowed back in 1962, and Scorcese's film clearly exploited that freedom and went for a more overt, almost grand guignol approach.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

yes it was and i taped it..good film
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    It would appear you have become confused and watched Sideshow Bob rather than De Niro. Either that, or your definition of 'camp' differs from that of everyone else in the universe. Ever.

Oh look, a pointlessly snarky comment on an internet forum.

If I left the camp comment out, would that make you happier?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Why isn't this repeated on TV?
    Because they came to their senses?

Boring, ham-fisted, overblown rubbish.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaybee15 wrote: »

sideshow bob made laugh out loud. thanks.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel the remake is a bit mixed in quality. The De Niro character is a bit over the top at times and the casting was difficult because it was a little odd to think that Nick Nolte would be menaced by the smaller De Niro. That aside the school scenes were good and the boat being dashed around in a moral storm on the water was very effective. I preferred the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I feel the remake is a bit mixed in quality. The De Niro character is a bit over the top at times and the casting was difficult because it was a little odd to think that Nick Nolte would be menaced by the smaller De Niro. That aside the school scenes were good and the boat being dashed around in a moral storm on the water was very effective. I preferred the original.

I haven't seen the original. Is it on TV often?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's been on perhaps half-a-dozen times the past year. It's the original that needs repeating, I haven't seen that since I was a kid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did, or do, come together in a relatively cheap 2 Dvd set.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Scorsese with DeNiro but I feel the Cape Fear remake is one of Scorsese's weakest films. Max Cady is ridiculously over the top compared to Mitchum's original and the film seems far-fetched and devoid of subtlety.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen the original. Is it on TV often?

I have seen the original on TV once in the last few years (afternoon slot on BBC2?)
    I agree with others that the original needs repeating which would give Mitchum some of the credit he deserves,
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because they came to their senses?

Boring, ham-fisted, overblown rubbish.

What he said ^^. I thought it was dreadful.

Saying that, the bit where De Niro is dressed as the maid was a genuine laugh out loud moment for me.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robert Mitchum is in the remake as well, thought I was imagining that.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i quite like this, the bit where jessica lange is begging for him to rape her and not her daughter is really well acted i think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Thanks all. I'll look out for it.
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Robert Mitchum is in the remake as well, thought I was imagining that.

I remember when it came out reading that him and Gregory Peck had cameo roles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look, a pointlessly snarky comment on an internet forum.

If I left the camp comment out, would that make you happier?

If you are going to describe De Niro's performance as 'camp' then expect to be pulled on it. The cartoonish bit is understandable, though inaccurate in my opinion. But camp? Please...:confused:
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

I thought it was Nick Nolte's character that was weak. That role was initially supposed to go to Robert Redford, but he was afraid of being acted off the screen by De Niro.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It's a pretty good re-make. Scorsese makes the characters have more shades of grey in them. I do think that the ending is a little of a cop-out - as well as being OTT. It's like they lost their courage in the film. It's seems like a typical Hollywood clichéd ending.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had only seen Nolte playing tough guy roles. So seeing him petrified because an ex client/loony was coming for him made this film all the more scary..