Official Snooker Thread (Part 6)

Comments

• BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way your guaranteed to have the choice to watch live feeds of whichever table you want during ALL sessions EVERY day is to sign up for the Europsport app on ipad. It's £3 per month. Even when one or both Eurosport 1 &2 are showing Motorsport or some other non- snooker garbage instead, they have as many extra 'feeds' as needed to show both tables live at all session times.
    Also it's £5.50 (on top of the normal £20 for the cheapest package on sky) and they don't give you the extra feeds that you get on the ipad ap for £2.50 less.

You can watch both tables every session on the BBC website
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So should players like davis hendry and white be given wildcards? Personally I would definitely give them a wildcard. Like ken said. The idea of davis going q school is ridiculous. These are legends of the game and fans still love to see them.
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you actually see the BBC commentators in their little boxes when you are in the Crucible audience?

Loving Alan's trousers! Judd Trump should come in board shorts for his match. :p
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    So should players like davis hendry and white be given wildcards? Personally I would definitely give them a wildcard. Like ken said. The idea of davis going q school is ridiculous. These are legends of the game and fans still love to see them.

Yeah there is argument for that, in tennis you have wildcards.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't McManus popular with the ladies in his younger days

It shouldn't be like golf where the old timers are always guaranteed a place, whilst keeping out younger players
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was 10-3 to Alan McManus in 1995.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those trousers are amazing!
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »

No they shouldn't get a wildcard

Are people totally against professional snooker being a proper seriously competitive sport like golf and tennis.

If White and Steve Davis were the real world no. 129 and real world no. 142 they should be made to qualify to enter the world chsmpionshops and uk and other events the rounds such ranked players normally do

Fast tracking them to qualify for the final qualifying round would be complete nonsense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Wasn't McManus popular with the ladies in his younger days

It shouldn't be like golf where the old timers are always guaranteed a place, whilst keeping out younger players

If them younger players are good enough they'll get there anyway.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jan knocking the water over there
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knocked his water off :D

Trousers are great. :p
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Can you actually see the BBC commentators in their little boxes when you are in the Crucible audience?

Loving Alan's trousers! Judd Trump should come in board shorts for his match. :p

Yes you can see commentators when sitting in crucible

Lol at the trousers and water incident
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Mcmanus - The Wilderness years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if higgins could win the title this year. He's not had a great season and no one seems to think he'll go far this year. He might surprise a few people though. I certainly wouldn't write him off.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all let me just correct a few of you. Jimmy White will NOT be getting a wildcard as he doesn't need one, he is on the tour already.

Hendry, I firmly believe, would still be in the top 64 had he not stopped playing, and Steve Davis has just dropped out.

Arguments both ways and both are very good but for me, without Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry we wouldn't be watching snooker like we do now. Those two popularised the sport so much due to their success and Davis is a tremendous ambassador for the game. That said I think it should be put to a vote of the WPBSA members and go with whatever they decide. They are the ones that will suffer or benefit from the consequences.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First of all let me just correct a few of you. Jimmy White will NOT be getting a wildcard as he doesn't need one, he is on the tour already.

Hendry, I firmly believe, would still be in the top 64 had he not stopped playing, and Steve Davis has just dropped out.

Arguments both ways and both are very good but for me, without Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry we wouldn't be watching snooker like we do now. Those two popularised the sport so much due to their success and Davis is a tremendous ambassador for the game. That said I think it should be put to a vote of the WPBSA members and go with whatever they decide. They are the ones that will suffer or benefit from the consequences.

I think steve said as much. Everyone including players has to be included in whatever is decided.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see Alan McManus going with the casual 'pyjamas' look. Hope World Snooker take note of this and add a fireplace inside the crucible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did the snooker end up in Sheffield anyway? Why was the Crucible chosen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the two tables looked too small inside Wembley stadium. That was the original home of snooker.

I think.
  • Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    You can watch both tables every session on the BBC website

I didn't know that, but being the kean snooker nut I am i go for the Eurosport ipad player option as many other tournaments are available on that. If the app only had the 'worlds' snooker I would not bother with it and probably go with the BBC website option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're showing the Higgins match on the News of the World's sports website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael Wasley has made a great start, just had a century to close to one behind Ding, could a mega shock be on the cards there?
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Watterson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can thank the wife of (then) promoter Mike Watterson who went to see a play at the Crucible in 1977, just as they were looking for a new venue and happened to recommend it to Mike
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Because the two tables looked too small inside Wembley stadium. That was the original home of snooker.

I think.

Nothing to do with Wembley at all.

The Worlds used to be played at different venues but in 1977 the promoter tried out the Crucible, it proved to be a hit with fans and players alike, plus it was at the time of TV coverage kicking in and tournaments tending to have permanent homes.

Wembley hosted The Masters from 1979
This discussion has been closed.