Options

Channel 5's sale

Comments

• Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member

I would ditch Milkshake, and simulcast with Sky News and Sunrise.

Yeah brilliant. Get rid of original programming to just simulcast it with another channel. I thought it was only lazy channel execs that came up with crap ideas like that.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    ITV preparing to make a swoop on Big Brother is one of the silliest rumours of 2014 so far.

ITV2 couldn't deliver the audience needed to make a return on such an expensive programme.

C4 sort of tried it already with Celebrity Hijack which was a complete and utter failure for E4. Launched OK but fell right away as these channels don't reach enough viewers daily to feed such a beast.
    sorry Dancc im going to have to disagree, ITV 2 could keep Big Brothers Channel 5 ratings afloat.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I accept the point that ITV2 could at least initially attract a similar number of 16-34s but it wouldn't be able to maintain it.

If I'm wrong I'll hold my hands up but I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that ITV will go for BB. And I'm surprised you seem to think it's a goer given you've been saying for years that it's past it. It's not of course, and it's now settled where it is, with no obvious better place for it beyond C4 who have well and truly moved on.

I don't like the show. I'm just pointing out the economics of it could work on itv2. Channel loyalty is dead amongst this age range.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    No news for two weeks since Discovery / BSkyB declared themselves out.

What's the betting Desmond has wasted everybody's time here and he doesn't sell ?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What's the betting Desmond has wasted everybody's time here and he doesn't sell ?

If you think back his negotiation skills aren't the most diplomatic :blush:
    with BB itself even put on hold because talks broke down for a number of months.
    IMHO the key problem Channel 5 faces there just isn't enough strong original content to justify the price.
    Its got BB (for 2014 at least) Hotel inspector a few Crime shows.
    the rest are imports
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    If you think back his negotiation skills aren't the most diplomatic :blush:
    with BB itself even put on hold because talks broke down for a number of months.
    IMHO the key problem Channel 5 faces there just isn't enough strong original content to justify the price.
    Its got BB (for 2014 at least) Hotel inspector a few Crime shows.
    the rest are imports
    Even as someone who takes well to the standard C5 output (crime docs, US drama, films, etc) I don't think its current repertoire of content is going to be a big factor in the price.

It's surely all about that very prominent position on the EPG, the fact it's holding its share well when others arguably are not despite fairly uninspired commissions in the past 12 months or so, and the potential to rival ITV and in particular Channel 4 more than it is at the moment.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member

Yes that does seem to be his MO. Like the HD on Freeview nonsense, it will go on for years.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All very reminiscent of Channel 5 HD on Freeview.

He seems to be making a habit of this.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    All very reminiscent of Channel 5 HD on Freeview.

He seems to be making a habit of this.

This hasn't been a waste of time. Nothern&Shell have acquired a valuation for a subsidiary company for which Barclays will have charged very large fees. How else do you value a private company?
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Richard Desmond is poised to announce the sale of Channel 5 to the US broadcaster that owns MTV for as much as £450m. The US broadcaster, which owns channels including Nickelodeon and Comedy Central, is expected to announce the deal to the New York stock market on Thursday or Friday at the latest."
    "Viacom declined to comment. Northern & Shell, Channel 5's parent company, said no deal had yet been concluded."
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/30/richard-desmond-sale-channel-5-viacom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fresh hope. Hopefully a deal can be secured this time.

The article makes a good case for why Viacom is a good fit for Channel 5. And it's been clear for some time that they are keen to up their investment in the UK market.

Not sure why the Guardian are speculating either 5* or 5USA could become pay channels - that seems most unlikely to me.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why the Guardian are speculating either 5* or 5USA could become pay channels - that seems most unlikely to me.
    The article is not clear as to whether the +1 channels would be candidates for pay services or 5* and 5USA. I assume it's not talking about the +1 channels. In which case, Viacom may feel that two FTA channels are sufficient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the first thing they'll want to do is target younger viewers more aggressively than they are at the moment and get rid of older skewing titles. Could be very bad news for Channel 4 this. C5 is already clipping at their heels at times lately, now Viacom want to come in, spend money and potentially chase a similar audience.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    "Richard Desmond is poised to announce the sale of Channel 5 to the US broadcaster that owns MTV for as much as £450m. The US broadcaster, which owns channels including Nickelodeon and Comedy Central, is expected to announce the deal to the New York stock market on Thursday or Friday at the latest."
    "Viacom declined to comment. Northern & Shell, Channel 5's parent company, said no deal had yet been concluded."
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/30/richard-desmond-sale-channel-5-viacom

If true, there is a strong likelihood that the Milkshake brand will be replaced by something like Nick on 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorksdave wrote: »
    If true, there is a strong likelihood that the Milkshake brand will be replaced by something like Nick on 5.
    Possible. Does Nick still do in vision continuity? I know they did back in the day.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if true does this mean this is the end of Channel 5 as we know it or will we still see a variety of programmes on it such as documentaries and news?, if it becomes less news and less documentaries then it could be a cross between a children's channel and a music channel.

Here is an idea if it does stay with documentaries and news, what about possibly trying a breakfast show in the morning and doing what ITV used to do by putting a couple of Children's programmes on between midday and 12.30pm and then again between 3.20 and 5pm?.

Also is it worth keeping the 6.30pm discussion/news extra slot?, I'm not sure how many viewers 5 News at 5 has but I'm sure that at 6.30pm most are either watching local news on BBC or ITV News so I would keep 5 News at 5 and instead of the 6.30pm slot put something else on and do a half hour news at 11pm.

The afternoon Children's shows could even be 3.20 - 5.30pm followed by 5 News with Neighbours at 6pm and Home and Away at 6.30pm, they could even show Milkshake or Nick on 5 between 6 and 8am with an hour and a half breakfast programme between 8 and 9.30am.

It's just that I feel the channel needs a small refresh instead of the same old films in the afternoons and discussion show at 6.30pm in order to compete and become a success and follow it up with a big marketing campaign to raise awareness that people can receive the channel.

Why not show the movie every night between 9 and 11pm before the 11pm half hour news like they did when they first started out?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    if it becomes less news and less documentaries then it could be a cross between a children's channel and a music channel.
    With respect, Viacom barely shows any music on the music channels it already owns, so that seems unlikely !

I suppose they might repeat things like the Video Music Awards and Europe Music Awards on C5 but that'll be about it I'd say.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    It will be interesting to see what they do with it. Will they promote some shows from their other channels? Will they shift some shows from C5 over to them? Will they ditch Milkshake strand for a Nick one? How will they handle the PSB requirements? Ultimately though, I think it's in good hands.
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased that there is actually going to be a sale, just hope Viacom have the will to give Channel 5 the lift it needs. So much potential with a few tweaks and a bit of decent, consistent investment.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about the news provider? Viacom apparently have close links to B-Sky-B. Does that mean ITN will be binned off in favour of Sky News?
  • Options
    mugwuffmugwuff Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Viacom own some decent channels, paramount tv, comedy central, mtv... Will be really interesting to see if anything from those channels makes the transition.

Anyone know how soon we are likely to see change?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't Viacom also own Viva on freeview?

So that would give them including the plus one etc. 5 new services on freeview so they could bring in across the suite of channels alot of their older content from their pay services etc. as long as they have the broadcast rights which could massively improve the current output of Channel 5. As there will be a lot of people who use freeview who will not have seen alot of the content that has already been behind a pay wall.

Of course if I understand correctly Viacom have not confirmed they intend to buy Channel 5 yet just that they are likely to make a viable offer or am I wrong have we had a confirmation of the sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    This hasn't been a waste of time. Nothern&Shell have acquired a valuation for a subsidiary company for which Barclays will have charged very large fees. How else do you value a private company?

Ah, so not a waste of time for Desmond, but he's wasted the time (and money) of those who were looking at buying the business just so that he can get a valuation on the cheap.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Ah, so not a waste of time for Desmond, but he's wasted the time (and money) of those who were looking at buying the business just so that he can get a valuation on the cheap.

It looks like Channel 5 is about to be sold so it hasn't been a waste of time just to get a valuation, unlike for example Telewest's sale of Flextech in 2005.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like Channel 5 is about to be sold

We've been here before though (mind you, when I wrote the "waste of time" bit, none of us was in possession of that new information).