Great film.
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats still tonight.;)
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was made on a budget of only $4m and the quality of the CGI effects really highlight why the likes of the Simpsons and Family Guy get their animation done in Korea.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    And they were brave to show the effects in full daylight as well, not just cheating and seeing it only in darker scenes.

Recommend seeing The Host if you haven't, it's excellent. See it before the American remake, and a Korean sequel will be out soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with all of the positivity on here for this film, it's a refreshing movie, DON'T MISS IT!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another positive vote for The Host here.

Just put it on one night without knowing what it was about.

Wow. Just wow.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Host" was ok. The comedic moments (which were dire) seemed out of place. Decent film but forgettable.

Aneechik wrote: »
    It was made on a budget of only $4m and the quality of the CGI effects really highlight why the likes of the Simpsons and Family Guy get their animation done in Korea.

The CGI for "The Host" was done by "Orphanage", an American company located in California. They also did the FX for a number of big budget movies as well.
    Forum Member
    "The Host" was ok. The comedic moments (which were dire) seemed out of place.

Unfortunately that seems to be a thing in a lot of Asian films. They go, in our eyes, overboard with the melodramatics and comedic moments. That was the only small negative for me with The Host.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Massively overrated!

If it had been an American film it would have got ripped on for being quite shit I recon, as it's Korean with subtitles people talk it up way beyond its worth.
    Forum Member
    If the exact same film came out in America, I would think the very same thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    damn missed it! Its not on 4OD either!!

Any idea if its repeated? :)
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    If the exact same film came out in America, I would think the very same thing.

Obviously it doesn't apply to everybody :p

I was a bit harsh with the shit comment, I actually enjoyed the host, still think it gets over rated by many though.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Bollocks, bollocks and thrice bollocks. How the bloody hell have I missed it again?

I have only seen youtube clips, but the monster attack is superbly done.

Please show it again C4, please.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Massively overrated!

If it had been an American film it would have got ripped on for being quite shit I recon, as it's Korean with subtitles people talk it up way beyond its worth.

Very true! A great start, but the ending is dull and the middle plods.
  • ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone explain why the family searching for their little girl (Hyun Seo) stop to eat in that shop and she seems to be their eating with them pls?

Oh it's ok, I found the answer in an interview with the director here if anyone's interested:
    /replaying-the-host-with-bong-joon-ho
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

No, that's not the reason why American cartoons get their animation done in Korea.

American TV animation has been outsourced to asian countries like Korea for literally decades. Long before CGI effects even existed.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't that keen on The Host because it relies on cultural jokes about losers with a FU gesture. It's a lot easier for those thoroughly familiar with South Korea's cultural and political history to get the jokes without thinking while enjoying it as a monster film. Too culturally obscure for my taste, basically.

For example, the protagonist has bleached hair, which shows he's still stuck in the rebellious stage (normally reserved for teenagers) and that he's refusing to grow up. Kind of like Peter Pan. The public firmly believes that all adult men with bleached hair are losers for life. Or criminals. At the end, his hair is no longer bleached, which shows he's finally matured and ready to be a family man.

His sister is a former national champion archer. Since early 1970s, all South Korean children are routinely taught archery and fencing from primary school to junior high school, and the best ones are sent to middle high schools that double as sports academies. Archery and Fencing is South Korea's number one sports, which is why so many Olympic archers and fencers are South Korean. The joke is that no one knows what to do with those who manage to do well on the national level, but not well enough to proceed to the Olympic level. Most of the public has bitched that the country are wasting money on training "losers" that clearly have no Olympic quality and that they end up with nothing but fencing or archery skills. No academic skills, no practical skills and no corporate skills. So, the sister is portrayed as a loser in the film as she has nothing but archery skills, but wahey! She triumphs by using her "useless" skills.

His brother is a former political activist. All South Korean college-age people tend to be political activists, who would be so idealistic and passionate enough that they rebel against the country or whatnot. Many in student activism unexpectedly became heroes during the 1980s, but from the 1990s onwards, the concept became a joke because the public felt those student activists are losers for dreaming of recapturing the glory of the 1980s. The brother's alcoholism shows that he's not willing to face the reality as well as accepting the consequences of his activism. The joke's that he's supposed to throw a petrol-filled bottle (a flashback to the 1980s), but drops it clumsily, which forces him to realise that his days as a political activist are truly over, which makes him to accept that and move on with his life. It's more subtle than the above two, though.

There are loads more like those three throughout the film. I'm not that familiar with South Korean's history so it was a bit of a struggle for me to understand most of WTF? moments, when in fact all those WTF? moments are easily understood by South Koreans and those very familiar with SK's history and culture.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's not the reason why American cartoons get their animation done in Korea.

American TV animation has been outsourced to asian countries like Korea for literally decades. Long before CGI effects even existed.

Presumably because it was cheaper to get it done there with decent quality, like CGI.