Options

Clicking fingers to get peoples attention - acceptable?

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
Have to admit this is a pet hate of mine, people who click their fingers to get someones attention on a restaurant, a store or someplace similar.

And in the workplace as well. I can remember having to endure it in the 60's and 70's from some managers, but employment laws were not what they are now, and you could not say anything because they would just fire you.

But as I got older and it seems to be used less and less, now if I see it or if someone does it to me, I do get very offended.

I saw someone do it to a waiter in a restaurant the other day , and in a very rude, impatient manner as well. The waiter said nothing, but I damn well would have.

I have told managers in the past, very politely, not to do it. If they want my attention, then use my name for gods sake!

For me, it's right up there with whistling to get someones attention, shouting "OI!", or using that beckoning, crooked-finger thing.

Does anyone still do this, and does anyone still consider it acceptable?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it as well if someone clicked their fingers at me i would break their fingers, i remember in a busy pub one night this guy whistled at the barman for his attention the annoyed barman shouts to the guy whistling at him " I am not a dog so F*** OFF

Rod
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is rude especially when it's done at a waiter/waitress in a restuarant or in the service industry.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    NO it's not acceptable. In fact, it's an invitation for a slap.

It's only marginally better than shouting 'oi, Jacko'. (I did actually hear someone shout 'oi Jacko' to attract someone's attention.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a habit of clicking my fingers when I'm trying to remember something, so if I go to call someone and forget their name I do it by accident and it looks like I'm clicking at them :o

I don't like doing it to waiters or shop people, because it's rude. I just say excuse me. Me and my brother click our fingers at each to get each other's attention but we've always done that, so I don't see it as rude doing it to him.
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    it's downright rude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I click my fingers to get my dogs' attention sometimes but I would never do it to a person, it even annoys me on someone else's behalf if someone does it as it's so rude :mad:
    The dogs don't mind but they don't think its rude to stick their snouts up other dogs rear ends either so they're no judge of human ettiquette :D
  • Options
    sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Absolutely not acceptable. If I was a waitress and got clicked, they'd be getting a sneezer. :D
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's rude. If you want attention, you should put a hand up like in the school classroom & wait to be spoken to :o
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is one of my pet hates too. I just ignore anyone who does it but inside I am imagining snapping their fingers off one by one :eek:

I have a lot of anger :D
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone clicking their fingers at you should be followed by your poking them in their left eye.
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    It's only marginally better than shouting 'oi, Jacko'. (I did actually hear someone shout 'oi Jacko' to attract someone's attention.)

did he respond? tragic, what happened to him imo
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely rude. I'd deliberately ignore them
  • Options
    moon unitmoon unit Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finger clicking makes me think of Basil in Fawlty Towers: utterly rude.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    trevalyan wrote: »
    did he respond? tragic, what happened to him imo

Astonishingly, he did. We were on a coach with a lost driver. Eventually, he stopped and hailed a passer-by thus, 'oi, jacko, what's the way to Spalding?'. And to our amazement - and amusement - 'Jacko' very politely gave directions instead of punching the bloke in the face.

That was about 30 years ago and we still use 'oi jacko' to catch each other's attention. (Kind of spoils the more romantic moments to be honest.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    It is one of my pet hates too. I just ignore anyone who does it but inside I am imagining snapping their fingers off one by one :eek:

I have a lot of anger :D

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost as unacceptable as monosyllabically grunting "scuse" at someone if you want them to move.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    It is very rude.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was with an American friend once. Me and my Welsh friend sat there, waiting patiently for the waitress to walk past so we could ask her for the bill.

My American friend leaned over, clicked her fingers until the waitress looked at her, and said "Over here". She pointed to the table and said "We want the bill."

Me and my Welsh friend were MORTIFIED and added all her "please" and "thank you"s for her.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's the big deal?

it's just another noise to make, so that attention is drawn, so you can do something!
  • Options
    mozamoza Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My boss does it occasionally to get our attention. Not as bad as it sounds, we're normally sat with headphones on, and the combination of the noise and movement works better than either one alone!

And it's a damn site less annoying than the bell secret santa got him! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I've only encountered it once, when working in retail. I just ignored them, along with the times I was called "Oi you".
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's incredibly rude. I would have no hesitation in slapping someone if they did that to me.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to admit this is a pet hate of mine, people who click their fingers to get someones attention on a restaurant, a store or someplace similar.

And in the workplace as well. I can remember having to endure it in the 60's and 70's from some managers, but employment laws were not what they are now, and you could not say anything because they would just fire you.

But as I got older and it seems to be used less and less, now if I see it or if someone does it to me, I do get very offended.

I saw someone do it to a waiter in a restaurant the other day , and in a very rude, impatient manner as well. The waiter said nothing, but I damn well would have.

I have told managers in the past, very politely, not to do it. If they want my attention, then use my name for gods sake!

For me, it's right up there with whistling to get someones attention, shouting "OI!", or using that beckoning, crooked-finger thing.

Does anyone still do this, and does anyone still consider it acceptable?

It is wholly unacceptable IMO.

It's very rude & I don't acknowledge anyone that does it to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could ask this in the retail thread on here. I had this sort of thing all the time-finger clicking, pointing, incredibly rude 'oi, you!' types and people who would blindly make a demand without as much as an excuse me or saying it to the back of your head.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What about poking or nudging someone's arm to get their attention? That's just as bad. I also find it annoying when someone taps me on the shoulder to get attention. It freaks me out, particularly if they're behind me.