Options

Sir Stephen Fry for OBE

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think stephen is one of britains finest men of knowledge and has put a hallmark on todays society of learners and i think he deserves an OBE

anyone agree , no doubt theirs gonna be alot who cant stand him

Comments

• Options
    Mr ReyMr Rey Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knighthood along with charlie brooker
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realise Stephen Fry had been knighted. If he had, there wouldn't be any need for an OBE. ;)
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't an OBE the highest order before a Knighthood?
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Stephen Fry but why does he deserve an OBE?
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only person in the world who thought Moab Is My Washpot was a bit boring? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Rey wrote: »

Seconded! :)
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Am I the only person in the world who thought Moab Is My Washpot was a bit boring? :o

It was a bit dull. His criminal exploits were the only interesting thing in it.

I loved 'Making History' though.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find him a bit facile and thick.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    It was a bit dull. His criminal exploits were the only interesting thing in it.

Yay!! I was expecting this amazing book that was going to change my life, as everyone raves about it, and in the end I thought 'is that it?'
  • Options
    Flyboy152Flyboy152 Posts: 14,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't an OBE the highest order before a Knighthood?

The rankings for the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire are as follows:
    • GBE=Knight or Grand Cross of the British Empire (Sir or Dame)
    • KBE=Knight or Commander of the British Empire (Sir or Dame)
    • CBE=Commander of the British Empire
    • OBE=Officer of the British Empire
    • MBE=Member of the British Empire
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure he'll be a 'sir' eventually, but it devalues the honour to award it too early - I'd say he needs to be 60ish, which he won't be for a few years yet.
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should anyone whose just doing their job be awarded a gong anyway!!

OBE= Other Buggers Efforts

MBE = My B****y Effort
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll be a 'sir' eventually, but it devalues the honour to award it too early - I'd say he needs to be 60ish, which he won't be for a few years yet.

If you can become a 'Sir' for just riding a bike then I think the honour is already devalued, if it wasn't devalued already.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Rey wrote: »

Sod that. Brooker should be king.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    I like Stephen Fry but why does he deserve an OBE?

I can't see why he deserves one either.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why he deserves one either.

For being the first person to manage to smuggle the C-word into a comedy sketch on the BBC.
  • Options
    millymilly Posts: 5,871
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    For being the first person to manage to smuggle the C-word into a comedy sketch on the BBC.

Well give one to johnny rotten then,he managed to smuggle one in on an advert..:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do most people deserve OBEs? Some have been given out for pointless reasons. It's like the scene in The Simpsons Movie where Arnie just randomly picks a file. You'd think that's what they do when handing these Knighthoods out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top man and gets my vote for OBE, if it were done that way. QI is my number one show.
  • Options
    jimbojonesjimbojones Posts: 4,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QI has destroyed all I believed to be true lol!:D
    Yeh why not let the dude have one-as long as err brucie can get one too!:D
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I think stephen is one of britains finest men of knowledge and has put a hallmark on todays society of learners and i think he deserves an OBE

No he isnt. He may be the smartest man on TV (or more to the point, smartest sounding), but thats not saying much these days...

He is intelligent, but hardly a genius or an academic. What imo you would call a surface intellectual.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    He was a hero of mine until he started defending the Mp's over the expenses scandal.Thats when I realised what a posh tit he really is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he isnt. He may be the smartest man on TV (or more to the point, smartest sounding), but thats not saying much these days...

He is intelligent, but hardly a genius or an academic. What imo you would call a surface intellectual.
    Indeed, he's a bloke who went to University and there are plenty of those. He plays the posh clever person on the television, like a character in music hall. Talking of surface, without his surface characteristics; deep plummy voice, height and sagacious long face, he'd just be a graduate with a minor criminal record. I'm sure he knows this perfectly well.
  • Options
    BumblingBeeBumblingBee Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    He's alright I guess but it irritates me no end the way folk salivate over him as if he's the bleedin' Messiah! Yeah he's got a brain on him, but so have a hell of a lot of other people in this world - do they all deserve Knighthoods and OBEs too?
    Nay, they don't.

He's quite irritating himself, a tad up himself? Clever clogs and don't he know it sort.

Not much against him but he's not half as brilliant as people make him out to be. He don't sh!t gold.
    He speaks English properly and knows some "big words", Christ, let's shower the man with medals.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a Labour luvvie and on the basis they haven't given him anything for his donations and public support in 13 years he's unlikely to get anything for a while if the Tories come to power as he's not linked to them. He may be too associated with the Blairites to get anything under Brown.

The granting of awards is very political. For showbiz types it's usually for unseen politican backing or for giving some charity benefit to the community. Stephen Fry is exceptionately rich mainly from writing musicals, plays and commercials work in the 1980s, rather than from TV and film work, which alone would have made him wealthy. He may not have given a big enough % of his money or enough of his time to charity to qualify yet.