Junior Masterchef

weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
Forum Member
....started tonight with John Torode and Nadia Sawallha as the judges.

What a delightful programme :) 4 young children, well spoken and sensible, enjoying doing something that potentially could be a good career move and seemingly loving cooking.

When JT and NS had to choose, you could tell that it was a horrible thing to have to do - but the children were so graceful in defeat - no tears or histrionics of the "my life is now overrrrrrrrrr, I sooooooo wanted to do this, life is soooooo unfaaaaaaaaaaaaiirrr" :rolleyes: seen on other cookery competition programmes. There was no attitude or bad feelings to those three that didn't get through to the quarter finals.

(I would have put them all through, each meal looked delicious and had been prepared with great thought and care)

Well done those four who appeared tonight, I am sure they will do very well in the future.

*feels embarrassed about self's inability to cook and gets out cookery books....*

Comments

• La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it too! :) And was so impressed with all their cooking skills and enthusiasm. All their Toads in the Hole looked very tasty too!

It was a tough choice to choose one winner out of that 4, and I admit I wasn't thinking of Amber immediately. I think her spectacular roulade was the clincher for her. :cool:

Though I must add those meatballs are not necessarily 'Greek'. Nice that her best friend's Mum gave her the recipe and she cooked it well, but Kofte is widely cooked and eaten all over that part of the world. I grew up eating it, my Mum cooked it every week, it's served at Wedding parties, etc. though not with rosemary, but flat leaf Cyprus parsley or coriander leaves. (We're Turkish Cypriots). Good idea to serve it with potato latkas, a real international main course! :)
  • Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed that today. There wasn't a single fault amongst them, everything they cooked looked absolutely delicious. My 8-year old has been inspired to make our tea tomorrow, spaghetti bolognese and wants to do it all himself.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fan of Masterchef, I thought it was very good and the tweaks that have made to make more suitable for the age group worked well such as the masterclass rather than an invention test.

John and Nadia were good although it was interesting she was chosen over Gregg but she came across well.

After normal Masterchef, Celebrity Masterchef, Proffesional Masterchef and now Junior Masterchef, wonder what they could do next as a spin-off, Teen Masterchef?
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    As a fan of Masterchef, I thought it was very good and the tweaks that have made to make more suitable for the age group worked well such as the masterclass rather than an invention test.

John and Nadia were good although it was interesting she was chosen over Gregg but she came across well.

They chose Nadia as "the mumsy" factor as Gregg "Shrek" Wallace would be seen as too intimidating imo
  • Loracan1Loracan1 Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    They chose Nadia as "the mumsy" factor as Gregg "Shrek" Wallace would be seen as too intimidating imo

They'd be scared witless having Wallace looming over them wielding his spade sized spoon.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loracan1 wrote: »
    They'd be scared witless having Wallace looming over them wielding his spade sized spoon.

Yes Shrek does love his puds:D
  • UGJamminUGJammin Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I came across this whilst channel-hopping and watched it and was very impressed.

My only gripe was Nadia's "mmmmmmmm's" after each mouthful, rather than a constructive comment!

Hopefully she'll pre-prepare some comments for next time :rolleyes:

Did enjoy it though.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Forgot this was on, so didn't tape, but judging by these reviews I shall series link it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She looked to be almost in tears when they had to announce the winner.....:cry:.....wasn't keen on the noise of her spoon hitting her teeth every time she tasted though. :eek:
  • elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgot this was on, so didn't tape, but judging by these reviews I shall series link it

it also oni player the kids were very talented Y day:)
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it when they were chatting to each other while they were waiting for the results, something I don't think I've ever seen on any of the adult versions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loracan1 wrote: »

:D I don't think Gregg's that bad but I agree he'd be too intimidating.

I would like to see them do a pressure test but I imagine they are saving that for the semi finals, it's only 13 episodes but I imagine that they'll expand it if there is another series.
    Forum Member
    George is seriously adoreable
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    I would like to see them do a pressure test

The bit at the beginning is probably the junior version of the pressure test
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carman wrote: »
    The bit at the beginning is probably the junior version of the pressure test

I thought it was more of a replacement for the invention test as it would be slightly unfair to get the kids to create their own dishes, the adults struggle with it on normal Masterchef and I imagine due to the age of the children, they cannot work in a proffesional kitchen unsupervised.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

After normal Masterchef, Celebrity Masterchef, Proffesional Masterchef and now Junior Masterchef, wonder what they could do next as a spin-off, Teen Masterchef?

Could be down simply to the fact Gregg does the other versions and each version has different judges.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    George is seriously adoreable

YAY! Georgie boy won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Didn't he look like he should be auditioning to play Oliver?! :)

I loved how he kept eating big spoonfulls of his chantilly cream. ;)

Also a mention for the other boy's pud - Choc fondant and strawberries and cream - frankly, if the Adult Masterchef contestants served it up it would've been praised to the skies too. Looked simply gorgeous! :cool:
    Forum Member
    I thought of Oliver as well :D

That fondant was seriously impressive, but I was so happy George got through :D

Nice kids, the lot of them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    YAY! Georgie boy won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Didn't he look like he should be auditioning to play Oliver?! :)

I loved how he kept eating big spoonfulls of his chantilly cream. ;)

Also a mention for the other boy's pud - Choc fondant and strawberries and cream - frankly, if the Adult Masterchef contestants served it up it would've been praised to the skies too. Looked simply gorgeous! :cool:

Couldnt agree more about the chocolate fondant and the amount of adults that mess it up in the adult version fair play to him
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    :cool:

I am so glad that other viewers are appreciating this programme as much I am doing :)

I was a bit reluctant to post praise about "well brought up children" in view of the "posh kids with loadsamunney" parents will alway do well, scenario :o It seems to bring out the "them and us" in some posters, in that it's only because the children ARE well brought up and speak "nicely", that they are on the television in the first place :rolleyes: I didn't want to start any rows :eek:

Anyway, I just welcome programmes that show children doing worthwhile things in a positive light. Children who are polite and well mannered and can say their "t's and d's" when pronouncing words and who are not thought of as snobby little twerps. If it encourages other young people to do something purposeful, it can only be a good thing.

I loved the look of all the meals the children created......but i drooled at the chocolate fondant and the cream filled strawberries.......and the raspberry chantilly cream? *sighs and dreams of 'see and taste telly'*
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    I liked the look of Lukes chocolate fondant pudding with clotted cream stuffed strawberries.

I did think Olivia was going to nail it though, with her feta and pesto stuffed, bacon wrapped chicken breast.

This stuff was better than much of the fare served up on the adult show, and better carried off too.
    Forum Member

I reckon there should be "Heartychef".

Fabulous grub, but served up in decent sized portions, with scant regard for 'presentation'.
  • systemcvsystemcv Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I did think Olivia was going to nail it though, with her feta and pesto stuffed, bacon wrapped chicken breast.

Sadly, she undercooked the Scallops (not something you want to do with shellfish) otherwise I think she would have won.
    Forum Member
    systemcv wrote: »
    Sadly, she undercooked the Scallops (not something you want to do with shellfish) otherwise I think she would have won.

I'm sure that's the first time I've seen them undercooked on Masterchef.
    Usually they're moaning about them being overcooked?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Toto Masterchef.