Options

Which movies have the best and worst editing?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Let's not have any obvious choices for worst editing, like films from years and years ago or indie stuff that was made on a tiny budget.

My picks would be:

Best: Inception. To make the movie flow as well as it did with a plot like that was amazing.

Worst: The Lovely Bones. I have never seen a more obvious example of large amounts of footage being hacked away from the final cut. For a movie with what I assume would have had a big budget, the editing is some of the most atrocious I have seen in modern cinema. How'd they get away with it?!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: Memento and Inception are brillantly edited for the non-linear stories they are. Any Edgar Wright film. Scott Pilgrim vs the World is probably is my favourite film for editing I just love the fast paced nature of it.

Not really seen a bad film for editing although I guess it would be something like a low low budget indie film like Clerks that would get my vote. Although a great film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a sign of my age :o but I hate this 'modern' thing of quickly changing between scenes and back again. I'm sure younger folk (and anyone addicted to certain computer games) are able to absorb what's being shown for such a short time but me... I feel it's like being in the middle of an intelligence/psychological test (and I'm failing miserably :o:cry:).

But just to show I'm not such an old fogey, I adored Inception... even though I had to keep my wits about me and remember where I was... in the story line that is. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a sign of my age :o but I hate this 'modern' thing of quickly changing between scenes and back again. I'm sure younger folk (and anyone addicted to certain computer games) are able to absorb what's being shown for such a short time but me... I feel it's like being in the middle of an intelligence/psychological test (and I'm failing miserably :o:cry:).

I think sometimes it depends on how it is done? In Catwoman, this style was used EXTREMELY poorly and made a lot of people (me included) feel dizzy and sick.

It can be a great effect when in the right hands and not over-relied upon, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a sign of my age :o but I hate this 'modern' thing of quickly changing between scenes and back again...

Worst example for me is Moulin Rouge... Hated it - the editing that is :(:mad:
  • Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate the editing of the Bourne Supremacy. Combined with the dreaded 'shaky cam' in the action scenes you only see something for about half a second and then it cuts. Quite a lot of the sequences should have been good, but ironically due to the rapid editing it was very difficult to make out what was actually happening.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Paranormal 2. If i see that F ing reel/loop of security tapes again il smash my head through my window!!! Lol !! Being shown the six different cams on loop every 5-7 mins was extremly annoying IMO the worst cam type movie so far IMO
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    I dont reeally know what movies are edited badly i mean there all very slick for whatever genre there in these days IMO. I think horror has suffered from modern editing/filming all this shaky cam crap is ruining horror/slasher movies elm street,friday and halloween all done it and it was annoying and shite and because there dark and running i cant make out a f--king clue whats going on and these are suposed to be the best part of the movies the chases. Bloody valentine didt do it and that was a brillient slasher movie loved it. I really hope scream 4 does not go this route and sticks to its 1-3 style of filming chase stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    Combined with the dreaded 'shaky cam' .

That's the absolutely WORST "effect" EVER.

I haven't noticed it so much in films (Blair Witch Project aside, but that was kind of the point of the movie) but it's become a staple in TV shows where you just can't help but think the person responsible is some arrogant little snit right out of media studies who desperately wants to get noticed for their "edgy" style. EastEnders used to be the worst offender for this effect (which I, personally, call "wobble cam" :D) - just one of the many reasons I stopped watching a couple of years ago.

If I had my way this "effect" would be banned. All it does is make me feel very ill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaky cam can work but mostly it doesn't. The Bourne films (although good) almost had me switching off during the third film it was unbearable every two seonds it cut to something else. I remember a scene in the second where an action scene was literally impossible to follow. Two guys, both wearing black fighting with shaky cam and cutting very quickly the only way to find out who won was to wait till it finished and see who was still standing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjkJlZVSB6U
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Requiem for a dream' has the most amazing, striking editing i've seen - really unusual.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mammia Mia! has absolutely awful editing. When I was watching it, I just kept being distracted by how bad the editing was - which is probably one of the first times ever in a mainstream Hollywood movie.
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,635
    Forum Member
    I really hate the editing of the Bourne Supremacy. Combined with the dreaded 'shaky cam' in the action scenes you only see something for about half a second and then it cuts. Quite a lot of the sequences should have been good, but ironically due to the rapid editing it was very difficult to make out what was actually happening.

These are the two things which are very likely to make be turn off any movie or TV programme.

Not just shaky cam but also it's variants, such as jerky zoom and needless tracking around stationary objects (many TV interviews are now using this one) .

As for a film with too rapid shot cutting I particularly hated "Armageddon" . :(

I'm such a miserable sod.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Watch some films by Béla Tarr. One edit every ten minutes or so - less is more ;)
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Worst ending has to be 'The Shining'. It just decended into chaos at the end (after the rest being excellent). I am sorry to say the ending was nowhere near as good as in the book! :(

I think the filmakers just gave up at the end. Perhaps they ran out of cash?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Worst ending has to be 'The Shining'. It just decended into chaos at the end (after the rest being excellent). I am sorry to say the ending was nowhere near as good as in the book! :(

I think the filmakers just gave up at the end. Perhaps they ran out of cash?

Might want to check the title of this thread again :p.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might want to check the title of this thread again :p.

:o Oops! Oh dear! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst is Nightbreed,half the movie is missing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Worst: Revolver, makes no sense
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    'Requiem for a dream' has the most amazing, striking editing i've seen - really unusual.

I agree. It's very uneasing but really well done. It's nice to see a not-so-happy ending once in a while. Not because I am sadistic, but because it's a more realistic scenario and less of this cliché nonsense.

I could list films for ages which have a poor ending, but one which sprung to mind (oddly) was Van Helsing where he sees the woman he killed in "heaven". What a crock of shit that was. Similarly, I don't know if this is the ending but in White Noise (which was generally a shit film) they see the "ghost" which completely spoils the reason for the film existing.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wont watch any shakycam/new-shot-every-2-seconds film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worse ending, Inception by a mile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow a lot of people misreading the thread title :D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow a lot of people misreading the thread title :D.

Yes I am one of the guilty many who did not read the title properly :o

Its amazing how simular editing and ending look when you read it fast, well thats my lame excuse :p
  • Options
    Dark GlassesDark Glasses Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Hush did. It just never went anywhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add one to the vote for any of these fast cut action films where you cannot see what the hell is going on.

I wasn't so offended by the Bourne movies but I did detest the opening of Quantum of Solace and pretty much all of Transformers 2 for this reason.

Hold the sodding camera still, let the shot run and enable the viewer to see and appreciate what's going on in front of it.