Options

Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Liam_CLiam_C Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Emily is doing south coast breakfast on her own tomorrow, do we think that's a temporary decision?
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital have switched the style up on the mixes, some of these remixes I would expect to hear on Andi's Show. Are they using the same music logs from Marvin's Friday Night show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Capital have switched the style up on the mixes, some of these remixes I would expect to hear on Andi's Show. Are they using the same music logs from Marvin's Friday Night show?

The shows are produced by the same guy so I presume so
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Has Max's show been mixed before or is this a special occasion?
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Why does Max sound like she's using a dynamic microphone? I can hear popping and rushing air.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Has anybody heard Pour It Up by RIhanna on Capital during the day-time yet? I listen to Capital a lot, but I still haven't heard them play it. :( I heard We Found Love today though...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The 1pm news on Capital was an extended one, lasting about 3 minutes. They then went straight into You've Got The Love by Florence + The Machine, no "Capital" artist intro or anything from The Bassman (Who seems to call himself Base a lot now).
  • Options
    t0264t0264 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey, random question for any anoraks, Global workers or anyone who may know :)
    Why is Capital TV's music log different to the radios. While the radio is just the usual playlist stuff, the TV channel plays new music as well such as Carly Rae Jepson's new song, Loveable Rogues and I even heard Imagine Dragons on there. Why can't the radio do this as well even if it's only on the occasion. Pompeii was on their playlist for 3 weeks but never got played once. I thought it was due to the old Galaxy format but then even Galaxy played stuff like Kings Of Leon, McFly, Boys Like Girls.
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t0264 wrote: »
    Hey, random question for any anoraks, Global workers or anyone who may know :)
    Why is Capital TV's music log different to the radios. While the radio is just the usual playlist stuff, the TV channel plays new music as well such as Carly Rae Jepson's new song, Loveable Rogues and I even heard Imagine Dragons on there. Why can't the radio do this as well even if it's only on the occasion. Pompeii was on their playlist for 3 weeks but never got played once. I thought it was due to the old Galaxy format but then even Galaxy played stuff like Kings Of Leon, McFly, Boys Like Girls.

There was a report from Ofcom after complaints about Galaxy playing stuff like Kings of Leon & Scouting For Girls saying they can be included, but no more than 5% (1 in 20 songs) of the output can be non dance/Rnb, which is a pain for the London Capital, ex Red Dragon & the east midlands stations that are heritage CHR licenced and can play more than 5% indie/rock songs. They don't have the restrictions on the TV Channel. None of the Bauer TV channels are like the radio stations either, Kiss TV for example is more hiphop than Kiss FM, which is more dance led.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Has anybody heard Pour It Up by RIhanna on Capital during the day-time yet? I listen to Capital a lot, but I still haven't heard them play it. :( I heard We Found Love today though...

You'll probably hear it on the chartshow first before the song gets its 24hour daily spin. You ever wonder how long each playlist meeting lasts up to... I'd say it's 3 minutes for Capital.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    x+y wrote: »
    There was a report from Ofcom after complaints about Galaxy playing stuff like Kings of Leon & Scouting For Girls saying they can be included, but no more than 5% (1 in 20 songs) of the output can be non dance/Rnb, which is a pain for the London Capital, ex Red Dragon & the east midlands stations that are heritage CHR licenced and can play more than 5% indie/rock songs. They don't have the restrictions on the TV Channel. None of the Bauer TV channels are like the radio stations either, Kiss TV for example is more hiphop than Kiss FM, which is more dance led.

Nothing's changed then aha, but they should take advantage of this. Stick Bastille or something on every 1 in 20, still better than nothing. Tbf now that it's Capital and not Galaxy I'd be surprised if anyone would even bother complaining about the output, or if Ofcom would even care.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    You ever wonder how long each playlist meeting lasts up to... I'd say it's 3 minutes for Capital.

Another ill informed comment.
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    t0264 wrote: »
    Nothing's changed then aha, but they should take advantage of this. Stick Bastille or something on every 1 in 20, still better than nothing. Tbf now that it's Capital and not Galaxy I'd be surprised if anyone would even bother complaining about the output, or if Ofcom would even care.

Bastille has now been removed from Capital's playlist after only being on for 3 weeks:(.

Ofcom still monitor the mix of music being played on Captal & other stations, for example GWR had a yellow card for not playing enough modern music just days before rebranding to Heart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    You ever wonder how long each playlist meeting lasts up to... I'd say it's 3 minutes for Capital.
    Haha love this comment
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I've mentioned it in the past and I still think the ex-Galaxy licences must cause such a headache for Global. Global are fortunate that nearly all of the UK top 40 singles can be classified as appropriate for a rhythmic station and suitable for such a format. However, if musical tastes shift to more guitar-based music then Capital will be in trouble. Although this is a lot less likely to happen because if new Kings of Leon or Fall Out Boy material comes out now, then Capital would not risk playing it at first and so it may not become mainstream and popular at all. It still could become a 5% spice track if it was popular anyway, but it's less likely.

That said, I love the remix stuff and Marvin's new show but it will never truly be CHR like it wants to be due to the ex-Galaxy licences. I think the charts would be different if Capital were able to play a wider variety of music as people just will not hear some of the other music out there.

I enjoy Capital so do not take this as musical snobbery; this is merely a point I feel needs to be considered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chipman wrote: »
    I've mentioned it in the past and I still think the ex-Galaxy licences must cause such a headache for Global. Global are fortunate that nearly all of the UK top 40 singles can be classified as appropriate for a rhythmic station and suitable for such a format. However, if musical tastes shift to more guitar-based music then Capital will be in trouble. Although this is a lot less likely to happen because if new Kings of Leon or Fall Out Boy material comes out now, then Capital would not risk playing it at first and so it may not become mainstream and popular at all. It still could become a 5% spice track if it was popular anyway, but it's less likely.

That said, I love the remix stuff and Marvin's new show but it will never truly be CHR like it wants to be due to the ex-Galaxy licences. I think the charts would be different if Capital were able to play a wider variety of music as people just will not hear some of the other music out there.

I enjoy Capital so do not take this as musical snobbery; this is merely a point I feel needs to be considered.

I do remember that the ex-power FM license was more chart based than the Yorkshire & Birmingham output. (ex Choice).
    Would you think that whilst the RR/SR takeover happens, that they will sell off one of the formats to soften the current dance output and competition. I.E Yorkshire with The Dose & of course Andi Durrant. I'm sure Global want to fully concentrate on having a huge audience for London's breakfast show as well as having all shows broadcasting mainly from its HQ, rather than have some pre-records from up north. (Andi Durrant; previously alongside Mash and Sacha Brooks)
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Kierankay wrote: »
    Haha love this comment

Thought you might. Whether meant in jest or otherwise, it's patently untrue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam_C wrote: »
    Emily is doing south coast breakfast on her own tomorrow, do we think that's a temporary decision?

Yes, Toni is on holiday.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    You'll probably hear it on the chartshow first before the song gets its 24hour daily spin. You ever wonder how long each playlist meeting lasts up to... I'd say it's 3 minutes for Capital.

Probably less lol. I don't understand the point of the playlist. Pour It Up has been there for a couple of weeks, but I STILL haven't heard it during the day-time on there. :( But I heard We Found Love again today lol. I got bored of that song 15 months ago.

Also, has anybody noticed Capital have been playing quite a few Lady Gaga songs recently (as in multiple times a day)? Seems kind of random. 2012 onwards, I used to hear her songs every now and then, but she's definitely getting played more recently. I wonder if her record label has asked them to spin her songs more.

I've been hearing Fine China by Chris Brown on there! Really surprised, they don't usually like this sort of music, but since they've been playing songs like Thrift Shop, Mirrors and Suit & Tie recently perhaps they're finding their audience actually like the style of music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Also, has anybody noticed Capital have been playing quite a few Lady Gaga songs recently (as in multiple times a day)? Seems kind of random. 2012 onwards, I used to hear her songs every now and then, but she's definitely getting played more recently. I wonder if her record label has asked them to spin her songs more.

Not sure her record label would have asked but hasn't she got a new album out later this year? They could just be added the older stuff to remind listeners of her before the new stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j10cool10 wrote: »
    Not sure her record label would have asked but hasn't she got a new album out later this year? They could just be added the older stuff to remind listeners of her before the new stuff.
    Don't think it has anything to do with the ReCap, does it? Heard Kelis - Milkshake and P Diddy - Superstar; both songs that I would never expect to hear on Capital unless if it's on Andi's show! :rolleyes: ReCap All dayer next? perhaps
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member

We Found Love is a modern classic. Rihanna's new song is a bit dull, to be honest.

There's a case for the likes of Capital to continue playing the popular older songs rather than just playing a new song for the hell of it. I know Moyles used to rip the p out of Heart, saying their listeners probably thought Bad Romance was Lady Gaga's new single, but Radio 1 is there to lead the way and break new music. Commercial radio is there to play stuff people like and make money.

Personally I prefer being exposed to the newer stuff, but to be honest the top 10 at the moment is fairly dire and a lot of artists sound like they're at the end of their albums (the new Taylor Swift song 22 sounds like a parody of her other great pop tracks). So I can't blame them. There's also no point in completely duplicating what Radio 1 does, but just not as well.
  • Options
    HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people liking the Capital Recap at 10am everyday and through out the day too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    Are people liking the Capital Recap at 10am everyday and through out the day too?

Indeed we are! As long as it doesn't end up as the same songs getting recapped.
    Do you work at Global? If you do just thought I'd let you know tried to listen earlier when revising and the North East streams aren't working any chance someone could fix this? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I wish we could have a tracklist of what Marvin has played. Could make use of his page on the website.