Options

People Don't Use Parks Enough

Slightly random statement but still.

I was about town today (partly skiving, partly on study leave :o) and we went to a park near our school that we didn't even know was there, it's massive and really quite nice.

It had a duck pond, and was well kept, me and a few friends had a go on the swings (we're 6 at heart :D) and walked about. It was really nice, but completely empty. I'm not sure whether it was because it was in the day but from what my grandfather told me it's always quite empty. It's such a shame.

I urge people, to visit their local parks and get some use from them, whether it's kids, adults or grandparents.

Do you have local parks in use? :)

Comments

• Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeh, coulnt agree with you more, a generation has been lost to conoles! :(
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a brilliant park in the nearest town - huge boating lake (loads of people go with remote control boats), beautiful 1930s style cafe, and it's literally heaving on weekends and Bank Holidays. So probably depends on the park. We cycle 15 miles to get there, then spend a few hours there, and cycle home most weekends. The kiddies' play area is very well done - one of those assault course style ones.

Mind you, there's also other parks that are equally full every weekend but then it's a tourist traps and the ones in the town centre are full of foreign holidaymakers from Easter onwards. The one we go to is a bit more out of the way and seems to only be really used by locals. We only discovered it last year.
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I haven't been in a park since I took my daughter when she was young.
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the better for me.

Is it wrong that during the winter I loved the park being empty when I walked my dog? Just me and other dog walkers.

Now it's full of - well it's full of 'people'. :mad:

They should be made to use it all year round or not at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    We have a brilliant park in the nearest town - huge boating lake (loads of people go with remote control boats), beautiful 1930s style cafe, and it's literally heaving on weekends and Bank Holidays. So probably depends on the park. We cycle 15 miles to get there, then spend a few hours there, and cycle home most weekends. The kiddies' play area is very well done - one of those assault course style ones.

Mind you, there's also other parks that are equally full every weekend but then it's a tourist traps and the ones in the town centre are full of foreign holidaymakers from Easter onwards. The one we go to is a bit more out of the way and seems to only be really used by locals. We only discovered it last year.

That sounds lovely. Our actual local park is less of a park now, more of a field. Vandals ruined the bowling green, then they took away the children's play area.

However, they have renovated a nearby one, which is a trap for the primary kids and is always busy. I hope they might do the same to ours.
  • Options
    flextecflextec Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Come round my local park around 3am and you'll see just how much it's being used... :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I was always in the park on the swing. Nothing has changed though I still love to go and have a good swing when I'm in the mood for it.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had sex in the park last thursday
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flextec wrote: »
    Come round my local park around 3am and you'll see just how much it's being used... :p

That would explain the complaints from the members of the Bowling club about the bumps developing in their green. :D
  • Options
    Johnny CashJohnny Cash Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had sex in the park last thursday

In the bushes with another man?
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to my local park would either get you stabbed, raped or both. So I'll continue to stay away.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Me and my friends still use parks quite a bit because generally there is not anywhere else to go, and it's good for a kick about
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I use my local park every day.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately chavs and drunks have taken over most of the parks.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately chavs and drunks have taken over most of the parks.

Depends if you have a dispersal area or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going to my local park would either get you stabbed, raped or both. So I'll continue to stay away.

That's the price to pay for living in Tunbridge Wells :D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I walk though my park to go to the local bus stop, but apart from that, its for kids, so ive no more use for it.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    That's the price to pay for living in Tunbridge Wells :D

I live nowhere near there lol
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I walk in and around my local park a lot..........it's wonderful !

Gardens, lakes, trees, animals - I've seen squirrels, foxes, hedgehogs, terrapins and big fish, ducks, swans, lots of other birds. There's proper ornamental gardens, hundreds of different flowers and bushes hardly any of which I recognise, which is a bit sad but that's what comes of being a townie.

The bits i like best are the wild nooks and crannies where they don't tend the area but just let it grow naturally - where you get bluebells and daisies and buttercups and daffodils, ie the ones I do recognise............

I've seen somebody walking two alpacas.............:eek:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ladyinblue wrote: »
    When I was a kid I was always in the park on the swing. Nothing has changed though I still love to go and have a good swing when I'm in the mood for it.

Our village park has a zip ride and if there are no teenagers in the skateboard area to see me, I'll play on it for ages. I'm a bit of a screamer, though.:o
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I inspect play area equipment in parks and other locations for various local councils.

Whenever I go along to inspect there are kids and parents about.

Bloody annoying, I want to look at the stuff, and have to get them to clear off for a bit whilst I check out the swing/slide/climbing net/whatever.

The parents are the worst, a few of the parks have the relativley new 'exercise' equipment; ski machines, etc.

They are on them whilst the kids are mucking about on the slides.

I would love it if the parks were empty, much less bother.

Particularly from the 'nice' parents, getting pissed on tins of lager and swearing in the park whilst their kids play, who call the police on me, despite me showing my ID and clearly doing a job of work.

People use parks to much, grrr:p:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I live nowhere near there lol

Just a little joke :D
  • Options
    BurpingBoyBlueBurpingBoyBlue Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    People don't use parks enough

You can't say that for George Michael...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our local park is well used. It is well maintained and has beautiful flower beds, lots of green grass areas, a duck pond, a small orchard and a playground.
    But there is no way I would walk through the park at night time for all the crime that goes on in there apparently.
    I am a grandparent and I love to take the children to the park in the mornings.
    Unfortunately we are not allowed to feed the ducks bread but the kindly council does put out a box of duck food for children to throw into the pond.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back "The Parkie".

At one time every park had one.